Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 17:22   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Airplanes to sailboats

Hi all,
I just started a new group "airplanes to sailboats". I have been in aviation for the last 25 years as both a mechanic and pilot. I own a maintenance shop on a float plane base as well as many planes over the years. One reoccurring theme is the number of acquaintances that have dropped aviation and moved on to sailboats. I currently suffer from this migration. I have not touched my plane in a month. I noticed many people on this forum also have aviation interests and I would be interested to hear if others have given it all up and sailed away, or maintain both. Its hard to make lifestyle changes and this is a big one! Now, instead of being perturbed at other people using the lake for other than airplanes, my neighbors moan at me for sailing my dinghy all over the lake. Life is funny is-int it. So lets hear your pros and cons concerning aviation, or big interest changes over the years. Cheers
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 17:51   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Airplanes to sailboats

I sure can't do both. I sold the planes and projects (kept one). Keeping the boat going and doing some cruising is a full time thing. I hope to get the plane I saved flying again when we are done sailing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 18:22   #3

Boat: wanting a cat

Making the transition myself, now full time sim instructor on Falcon airframes. Looking at a 45 to 50 ft. cat within the next year. I still fly but pick and choose my trips, 91 only. Home most every night now, don't miss the 25 days a month on the road. At least the pay sucked.

What I give up, 3am departures to Antigua for the owner, rude, pompous, arrogant, sanctimonious, condescending passengers that treat you like a parasite. It runs about 50/50. Some are actually quite appreciative.

I wish I had started 30 years ago, always loved sailing, but now it is my next wonderful obsession...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 01:10   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've met a number of pilots who also enjoy being sailors..... There's a kind of zen thing that happens when wind flows over the headsails, and you pilots KNOW what's happening.. It's sorta like the wind flow over the foil of the sail is your favorite color, and your mind sees that.

Some choose air over sailing, for them, the air's just too much fun. For the others, I can't really speak for them, 'cause they give up speed, but gain a sort of magic combination of physics and self, and that is so cool, that they want to keep going.

A.
Old 30-08-2016, 01:58   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Always have done both. Paid to fly, pay to sail. This is my last flying gig...I will sail till I drop. Too many cool things about it to list. Never owned my own aircraft. The cost benefit ratio never made sense. (After my recent visit to the yard I have stopped trying to make sense.) That being said, sailing is flying in most respects. Not surprising that there is a community of mutual interest. Not sure tho how rotorheads fit in. :-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 03:28   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Been flying for 37 years and sailing almost as long.
Never owned no airplane, always flew for a paycheck, including bush Alaska.
(Blowing 30 knots in the winter and 26 below Fahrenheit, windchill -80. Never again, too young and too enthusiastic back then )

Sailing is fun, but slow and expensive. Plenty of zen feelings, but now on a powerboat, may get back into sailing later. (Wife would not go cruising full time so we ended up with a bunch of long and short Bahamas trips. I would have kept going, but always had to return to my flying job.)
Old 30-08-2016, 03:30   #7

Quote:
. Not sure tho how rotorheads fit in. :-)
They are some strange ducks, probably fit in on cats
Old 30-08-2016, 03:42   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I've often noted that pilots & sailors seemed to be kindred spirits; many do both.

I flew commercially too, King Airs & Twin Otter. Enjoyed it, but am retired now & not flying at all. My OH had his ppl & we had our own a/c, a PA28-181, but sold it when we bought the sailboat back in the early '90s.

As Ann noted, pilots do understand the concepts of lift. I just have some trouble in my mind turning my airfoil on it's end, and then having the ability to twist it as I desire.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 04:17   #9

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Glad to see the thread as I have been flying for 55 years, 35 in the airline business, while sailing for only 45. Spent my last 20 years prior to retirement, flying overnight express freight for Airborne Express, now DHL. You should see the expressions on people's faces when asked how long I had to fly freight before I could fly people and my response was that I had to fly people for 15 years before they would let me fly freight. And yes, the theory of airflow over a sail is very similar to the airflow over an airfoil! Cheers, George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 04:19   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I still fly, hope to off and on as long as I can. I really like the new physical requirements for a third class Medical even though I have always held a second class, that has stopped way too many from flying. Have flown professionally since 87, have held my A&P since 89 I think and my IA since about 2004.
I started out as a Mechanic, a 67 V for those that were Army and it took 5 yrs to get to flight school. I will quit my current flying job and Retire spring next year.
I sold the Maule to help pay for the boat, but I'll keep my old C-140. Just can't let it go, I'm not ready to not have an airplane just yet, flying has been my life and I just can't bring myself to let it go, yet.
I think I took to sailing as there are many similarities, navigation and weather understanding being a couple. I / we have always liked to travel, but hate flying Commercial and the boat will I hope give us the ability to travel, yet without the hassle of Commercial aviation and be able to sleep in out own bed at night, and move at our own pace.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 04:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
They are some strange ducks, probably fit in on cats

No, truth be known my first love is a Helicopter, just no way I could do that, I had a rich Uncle pay for all that flying
I don't want to start a mono / Cat debate, but I'd bet more pilots / rotor heads are in monos than you might think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 04:31   #12

Quote:
I flew commercially too, King Airs & Twin Otter
Aye, the Twin Otter. Got almost 2000 hrs in them things, 500 on floats in the Caribe while living on a sailboat. Also flew Aztecs and C-402s out of St. Thomas, as well as DC-3.
Had 5 jobs in the Virgin Islands. When a company went out of business I pulled the anchor, sailed to the next island, anchored again and rowed to shore with a resume in my pocket.
Usually had a flying job within a day.
Easier than flying in Alaska for sure. Sunny with a touch of rum..
That was 30 years ago, been hauling heavy metal since: B-727, 747, 757, 767, DC-8, etc.
Old 30-08-2016, 09:50   #13

Boat: wanting a cat

I don't want to start a mono / Cat debate, but I'd bet more pilots / rotor heads are in monos than you might think.

I am dual rated, 11,000 hrs. more than half is rotor wing time. I still love flying both. I like monos, but I would much rather sail on a cat!

I also spent 30 years skydiving, I think I am addicted to wind!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:21   #14

The best sail trimmer I've ever sailed with was a glider pilot. He learned while as a child in Nazi Germany while "scouting" - survived the war (POW in Canada).

I think you'll find many kindred spirits

The best helmsman I've ever sailed with was a port authority bus driver. He tried at 45 after 25 years driving buses, got a nice pension and can helm for eight hours straight without missing a beat!
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:23   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

I also moved from planes to sailboats

Nice that a lot of the metrology stuff was transferable

Tags
sail, sailboat