Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 04:57   #1

CT/DE boat registration and Turkey and mediterranean cruising

Hi all,

I know there are many topics regarding related questions, but none of them quite address the situation we are in, so here goes:

* I'm a dutch (Netherlands) citizen with a green card
* my husband is a turkish citizen with a green card
* we reside in CT
* he owns a 1987 Beneteau first 305 that is registered in CT

We are planning on:
* shipping the boat to Mersin, Turkey on a cargo ship
* spending the next year cruising in Turkey
* after that cruising a couple of years around the Mediterranean coast
* to finally sail the boat back to the US across the Atlantic.

We are considering registering the boat in DE under a company. We cannot register USCG as far as I am aware because of citizenship(s). There is no title. We would prefer to keep CT registration if possible.

Here are some of the questions that I'm hoping your expertise and experience can help with:
* is there any advantage over having a DE registration versus a CT registration (besides taxes)
* Which countries are definitely good with any state registration (CT vs DE) and which are not? (Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Montenegro, Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, Malta)
*Is it best to keep me (EU citizen) off of all documents, including the DE registered company, because of VAT? (beneficial ownership)

Many thanks!
margav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 05:39   #2

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter
Re: CT/DE boat registration and Turkey and mediterranean cruising

Wow; complex issues here. I'm no expert, but would offer the following:

- I don't believe any country would favor one state's registration over another. They would either accept them all, or accept none of them.
- I believe the hassle and expense from shifting registration from CT to DE outweighs the benefit.
- I'm not sure corporate registration offers any benefits over individual registration. Plus, I'm pretty sure that US citizenship is required (at least 75%) by the corporation as well.

-This excerpt from Noonsite seems to imply that a USCG documentation is preferred, but not required for international travel. Shipping it in may be different, though.
Boat Registration: It is an international requirement that all vessels (including trailed sail boats) outside their home waters are properly registered. In many countries, for private yachts, there is available a simple, cheaper way to do this than to register on the more involved commercial register.
In the United States yachts can either be registered with the state where the owner lives, or if ownership can be traced to the original owner, the vessel can be documented with the Coast Guard. The latter is generally preferable if cruising abroad.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, mediterranean, registration, Turkey