Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 22:32   #1

Alberg 37 buy or run?

Checked out a alberg 37 which seems to be in bad condition. The deck is soft, engine needs rebuilt and has no sails. Ive wanted a alberg for a while now and Altho it's rough, I'm wondering could it be sorted out cheaper than buying one that's decent. The price is <5000 if I pass it up I'm thinking I could be kicking myself later.
Norscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 22:34   #2

Re: Alberg 37 buy or run?

So the question i guess is. It's a deal or a wasted effort?
Old 20-03-2014, 22:59   #3

Spend 10 minutes reading my blog and then ask yourself if you're willing to put that type of work into an old boat. Imagine they just gave it to you, free. How much are you going to spend fixing it up? 30k? 60k? 90k? How much does that free boat cost? A lot.
Old 21-03-2014, 03:41   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Is this a boat you will keep basically forever or will you sell it in a few years? An Alberg 37, fully equipped for cruising can be bought for around 40k. If the one you're looking at is as bad as you say, dont expect to get anything close to what you put into her back in a sale. A new engine alone will cost you 10-15k. New sails can run you north of 10k for high quality ones. To take on a project like this has to be a labor of love. If you really love Albergs, can do most of the work yourself, and plan on keeping her for quite sometime, then to you it could be worth it. If you do buy her, you can expect to spend at least 40-50k on refitting her. Are you prepared for that kind of financial commitment? The one good thing about buying a boat that needs a refit, you don't have to come up with the money all at once. You can spread it out over time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 04:07   #5

Boat: Heritage 35

Do you want to spend the next ? years rebuilding or sailing? me I'd spend the extra to go sailing. Had a good friend who sold a perfectly good boat for a fixer upper bigger one. He lost interest in the project when it got to be way too much work. he died boat cut up. He never sailed again.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 04:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Norscot.

You have to ask yourself:
Do you want sail a boat; or fix a boat? This one sounds like a major project.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 05:51   #7

I Know projects like this run away with money and its thousand over thousand. But Ive no intention on spending over 10k on a engine. The boat has a westerbroke 107 that I'm thinking could be rebuilt for 5k. And pick up used sails for another 5k maybe next year. (used). Its the other stuff I've no clue about. Like redoing the deck thats soft, rigging… painting the hull.

The chances of me having 40k in the next 100 years isn't good.

Also is there anything wrong with alberg 37's thats cancerous that I'm not aware off apart from the soft deck?

Boat comes with ssb also radar and refrigerator ect.
Old 21-03-2014, 05:57   #8

Old 21-03-2014, 06:01   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norscot View Post
I Know projects like this run away with money and its thousand over thousand. But Ive no intention on spending over 10k on a engine. The boat has a westerbroke 107 that I'm thinking could be rebuilt for 5k. And pick up used sails for another 5k maybe next year. (used). Its the other stuff I've no clue about. Like redoing the deck thats soft, rigging… painting the hull.

The chances of me having 40k in the next 100 years isn't good.

Also is there anything wrong with alberg 37's thats cancerous that I'm not aware off apart from the soft deck?

Boat comes with ssb also radar and refrigerator ect.
Recoring decks are a nightmare.... Depending on the extent, I'll bet it takes you 200 hours plus some... Also... You are almost certainly be replacing chain plates... Sometimes easy... but mostly never...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:08   #10

from what i could tell the whole deck could do with being redone.
Old 21-03-2014, 06:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Just remember the boat repair rule of thumb. Any boat project will take twice and long and cost twice as much as you estimate.

It may sound humorous but it's darn close to truth and this is from someone that has been doing this for 40 years and completely overhauled two boats.

That being said,

1) if you have way more time than money

2) the hours (and hours and hours) you would spend working on the boat could not be used to generate additional income for your personal boat fund (can you work overtime at your current job, take on side jobs or a weekend job)\

3) You don't expect to have $40,000 but over the years you work on the boat you could spend that much, just in smaller chunks. Add up every time you go to the store for SS screws, sandpaper, resin, cloth, more SS screws, new bilge pump, wire, more screws, more sandpaper then the big items like sails (new or used), etc etc etc. So you will still need a pretty good chunk of money, just not all at once.

4) How bad are the decks? If the core is totally rotted you could be looking at a huge job. Basically have to remove the deck, recore and put the deck back on. Many, many hours of work and probably a couple thousand or so in cloth, resin, solvents, tools, and such.

5) How many hours a week can you devote to the job? If occasional evenings and most weekends it could take you years. I've been working on my boat now almost 4 years on that schedule and just now getting close to launch but will still have a long list of stuff to do in the water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:15   #12

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Dissenting voice, here. Fixing soft decks is not that hard. It's certainly not expensive if you do it yourself. Ditto for painting.

Used sails or make-your-own would be the way to go. Maybe rebuild the engine yourself. Rigging is not hard to do yourself, either.

Bargain hard. You might buy it for considerably less than asking. It will be a lot of work, but I'm thinking it's sort of a one-season project to get it in the water and sailing. Then a couple of years of TLC to bring it up to snuff, but you could be sailing while you do that.

If you have the time and are willing to do a lot of hard work, this could be a good project. But be picky. There are LOTS of project boats out there, and not that many people who have the determination to follow through on the project. Find the best boat you can for your budget.

I've done this twice myself.

For what it's worth, this boat does sound like a lot of work. Can you find one with an operating engine? With sails? With less in the way of soft decks? Look at other projects before you buy, and think through how much work and expense they'll need.

The fixed-up value of the boat is not so much of a consideration. You'll probably make a little money (about 10 cents an hour for your labor) if you are frugal and do good work. The greater consideration is whether you'll actually have the time and steam to finish the work. If you run out of either, you'll be stuck with a boat that is worth nothing and is chewing up yard or marina fees every month. Which, by the way, is exactly where the current owner of the Alberg is. Did I say to bargain hard?
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Spend 10 minutes reading my blog and then ask yourself if you're willing to put that type of work into an old boat. Imagine they just gave it to you, free. How much are you going to spend fixing it up? 30k? 60k? 90k? How much does that free boat cost? A lot.
Tate, nice to see you back, and to catch up on your efforts. Keep up the good work, and ain't backing up in a straight line so much fun?!?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:20   #14

Boat: Tayana 37

Norscot, I hate to burst your bubble, but if you buy a boat for under 5k that normally sells for 40, you better be prepared to spend AT LEAST 40k on the refit. If you do the decks yourself you can probably do them for around 3-5k. Getting the yard to do it will cost 20k. These boats are old. I know. My last was an Alberg 35. You can expect several thousand on replacing the standing rigging (chainplates, turnbuckles, stays, shrouds) and a thousand more replacing the running rigging. Does she already have self tailing winches? What about her electronics? Has the electrical been updated? How old are her batteries? Are you going to add solar or a wind generator or rely solely on your engine to recharge them? Does she have a working autopilot or windvane or will you have to add one or both? What shape is the interior in? Does the refrigeration work? Does the SSB and radar work? Are you planning to paint her yourself? If so, the paint alone will cost 2,000+ for topsides, deck and bottom paint plus haul out and yard time. What condition is her prop and prop shaft in? Cutless bearing? Transmission? Tiller or wheel steered? What about the rudder? Has water penetrated it? How many bilge pumps? If just one, you'll want at least one more with a high water alarm on it. Does it have an EPIRB? Life raft? Dingy and outboard? What condition is the mast in? Does she have the original spruce boom or is it aluminum? If original, what condition is it in? Do any of her fuel, water or holding tanks leak? Is the boat equipped with a pressure water system and if so, does it work? What shape are the cushions in? Do they need to be replaced? Recovered? What about the stove? Is it propane or alcohol? If propane, what condition is the propane locker in and how are the gas lines run? Does it have a remote solenoid to turn off the gas? Do you want an HVAC system on board? How many and what shape are her through hulls in?

I'm not trying to be negative, but that's just the START of a list of things that need attention on a boat in need of a refit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:24   #15

are the pictures not there?

Tags
alberg