Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 21:46   #1

West Coast to Hawaii

Hi there,

I'm currently traveling around California and working on various farms to learn about organic agriculture and sustainable living. I'm hoping to take my travels to Hawaii, then international. I figured it would be awesome to pick up sailing/boating/cruising to expedite travel expenses, make life more of an adventure, and to learn something fun and useful. I've been volunteering on sail boat in Santa Barbara and having a blast with it. I'm hoping to travel by sea to Hawaii early next year (between January and May). I prefer to be on a sailing crew but open to working on a cruise ship as well. I don't need pay just food and a place to sleep. A few of the questions I had were: "Besides posting on here, what other sources might I look into for finding a ship to crew on or cruise ship to volunteer on? Am I likely to find a one way sailing/crew oppertunity? Do cruise ships have volunteer options? Will it be difficult to find a ship going to Hawaii early in the year? Any inquiries and advice are welcome.

Thank you for your time. Best,

~Cameron
Old 08-08-2016, 12:11   #2

Re: West Coast to Hawaii

Good luck with your adventure, however in answer to your query, no, cruise ships do not have volunteer positions. Just google cruise ship jobs, or look under employment at Princess Cruises' website (or others) for job opportunities.
But I will tell you most, if not all require a six month contract and all cruise ships jobs are considered commercial ship's crew. You get paid weekly (in cash, tax free), get free room and board, but work seven days a week (with a fair amount of down time though).
If you're not a drinker you'll become one or expect to spend a lot of time alone (the tradition of the seas die hard). They will not take anyone looking to use their job as passage to somewhere. You could get to Hawaii and formally quit and they'll let you off there, but they take the price of a plane ticket out of your pay, whether you use it or not, since they can't just dump you someplace.
Also, when you sign up there's no guaranteeing you'd be on a Westcoast to Hawaii cruise (which are rare).
I have a friend who's been working on cruise ships for over 15 years now (swore she would do only one contract) but good way to save money, see the world and you can take six months of whenever you choose and come back to it. Hope that helps. Cheers

Tags
hawaii, west coast