Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 17:09   #1

Australia to South America to Vancouver Canada

I am looking for crew (1) to help with the duties not to share the expenses. I will cover all the expenses with regards to the vessel, you will be responsible for any personal wants or needs beyond that. That means food, fuel, mooring, repairs and entry costs are mine. Visa's, on shore costs and any personal luxury items will be your responsibility.
Now having said that I'm not interested in freeloaders! you must bring your "A" game, this crossing is up hill and against the wind... for the most part. Most will think I'm crazy and your nutz... So having those qualities will work in your favour for this journey.

We can discuss routing options and a time schedule, if you have some knowledge to contribute.

The vessel hasn't been prepped for the journey yet so I'll be travelling there mid July to start. Rest assured the boat will have all the necessary safety gear and the latest and greatest auto nav/pilot/chart/GPS/sounder/radios/sat phone...etc

My name is Darcy Bailey I am a 44 yr old male currently in Vancouver BC Canada.
You can reply to this posting on this thread or email me directly using the email provided below.

Cheers,

Darcy

cdarcyb@gmail.com
Old 03-07-2016, 15:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Australia to South America to Vancouver Canada

For the sake of the exercise, why would one sail first to South America if one's objective was to return a yacht to Vancouver? Frankly, it would make far more sense to reach up to Hawaii and roll over the top of the north Pacific High into Vancouver without any of the (unnecessary) excitement of running off, many many hundreds of miles east of Vancouver in the "Roaring 40's" only to have to fight the north westerly's to get north again? With all due respect, have you really looked into/have a clew as to what you're proposing?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-07-2016, 17:13   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Plus, it's the middle of winter for the Southern Ocean part. Frequent deep lows.

Ann
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23   #4

Hi, I am retired, regardless of time, with a great taste of the sea. My working life took place on ships providing technical assistance to the on-board instrumentation. I have a boat license for sailing and motor without limit. long range navigation experience.
I Participated in various fisheries research in Europe, Americas and Indian Ocean. More experience with motor boats less with sailboat.. Last sailing journey was in the Caribbean. I offer my experience as a 1st mate and cook.. For more info please contact spesle40@gmail.com or call +393477366307
Old 04-07-2016, 03:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Darcy,

I see you are new to CF, and this is your first post on CF. Welcome.

What follows is intended to help you, and is offered in a friendly tone of voice.

What you propose to do is unusual. So, more information would help you attract the knowledgeable and experienced crew you say you seek. Here are a few questions that come to mind:

1. What is your own experience sailing? Be specific.

2. Have you done any long distance sailing in the Pacific? In the winter in the South? Be specific.

3. Why go against the prevailing winds? Why go to South America first? Why that route?

4. Will there only be two people aboard? You and one crew?

5. What type of boat? Age and condition? Post several photos of the boat to show type and condition. Do you own it? How much sailing have you done on THIS boat?

6. Is this a boat delivery you are being paid to perform?

7. How long do you expect your voyage to take? Where will you make stops?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For the sake of the exercise, why would one sail first to South America if one's objective was to return a yacht to Vancouver? Frankly, it would make far more sense to reach up to Hawaii and roll over the top of the north Pacific High into Vancouver without any of the (unnecessary) excitement of running off, many many hundreds of miles east of Vancouver in the "Roaring 40's" only to have to fight the north westerly's to get north again? With all due respect, have you really looked into/have a clew as to what you're proposing?
The reason we are heading to South America is to visit some family... I realize it's unorthodox, I believe I've made mention of it in my posting.... Up hill & against the wind!
Old 04-07-2016, 14:12   #7

Ok Darcy I will be available to fly to Vancouver by the end of July and help you to take your boat to the south america, even because I am from Brazil and have to get back. I am English, Portuguese and Spanish speaker, profissional sailor and boats repair, like a fiberglass repairing, painter, gelcoat and little bit mecanic work. In case you need me for anything just drop me a line.
my regards

Sergio
Old 04-07-2016, 14:20   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I can't speak for the Tasman but NZ to S America is quite achievable with favourable winds in winter ... you just have to stay further north is all.
Old 04-07-2016, 15:09   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I think Evans Starzinger is the only one on the forum who has done this passage (because he's NUTS!!!).
I think he should be consulted...

I think he's done it twice but neither time to south America. He turns north before then.

And I doubt in winter...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 04-07-2016, 15:16   #10

I've known quite a few people who have gone from Chile to Washington State / BC via Hawaii . Nothing remarkable, quite long, but not a remarkable passage.

To Chile from NZ? .... just plan a landfall on the central coast, not in the south.
Old 04-07-2016, 15:29   #11

Mind you ... if you leave East Coast Oz in July it will be September by the time you get to S Am ( a two month voyage ).... run the numbers up to Canada and its going to be a pretty late in the year arrival in BC.

Here is Lady Arisha on her way from somewhere north of NZ to South America as we speak ( NZ bottom left , Galapagos top right )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lady Arisha.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	127363  

Tags
Australia, Canada, South America