Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 08:15   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Miami to cuba,Mexico, central America,south America

Hi, we have left bahamas and have decided to head back to ft lauderdale to pick up a new hypolon dinghy(could not find a good one in all of bahamas) and make some needed repairs (no facilities in georgetown) . We don't like beating into easterly winds every day so we've decided to go the other way via cuba to central America. My wife and I haven't done that part of the world before and think it might be more of an adventure then down the islands which we've visited before. We are looking for a younger man or woman who is fit and has experience sailing to join us and help with on-board duties. Our boat is a 47ft grand soleil with all the convenience items. Water maker, gen set, solar ect. This is an un paid position obviously and you'll be expected to pay or for your own entertainment and contribute to grocerys. We will be leaving south Florida around may 4th or near then. You have your own cabin and closet for you clothes. Contact me asap if anyone is flexible and interested. You must be easy going and not a crazy person. If you turn out crazy well make you walk the plank.... 😃We enjoy drink, but no Mary Jane please.

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 16-04-2015, 08:38   #2

Re: Miami to cuba,Mexico, central America,south America

Hi there

Would you pass the D.R, we are needing a ride please???

Happy to pay/work and help out.

Many thanks
Katz
Old 16-04-2015, 09:16   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

For those considering joining this cruise - As far as is currently published - it is still against the rules for USA citizens and boats to land in Cuba and spend any money there without permission/ a permit.

However, if you are only transiting the waters north of Cuba and not setting foot on Cuban soil, then this way to Mexico or Central America - is fine and no foul. The northern route is quite a popular way to get from Florida to Mexico or C.A. making use of the "meanders" of the Gulf of Mexico currents. Make sure you have the proper Mexican approved insurance coverage, etc. before heading that way.
Old 16-04-2015, 14:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz View Post
Hi there

Would you pass the D.R, we are needing a ride please???

Happy to pay/work and help out.

Many thanks
Katz
Sorry Katz, that's the other way. We're going west

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 17-04-2015, 07:40   #5
2kr

Boat: IP445

i have a 3 year old hypalon 10.5 feet
AB dinghy for sale in Panama. Come and get it...
Old 17-04-2015, 08:40   #6

How do you get "help" to pay their own way?
Sounds kind of cheap of you.
Old 17-04-2015, 10:22   #7

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i am living in panama might be interested in flying to florida and making the trip down ,, i have some sailing under my belt have a 42 foot solaris here in the bay i am selling ,, lets talk some more svfraidknot@yahoo.com
i am also interested in the dingy for sale here in panama if seller wants to contact me
Old 17-04-2015, 13:52   #8

If I didn't live in the "free country" of the United States and I was allowed to go to Cuba I would be seriously interested in the trip. Maybe someday we can actually be free to go wherever we want to.
Old 17-04-2015, 14:02   #9
2kr

Boat: IP445

i sailed to Cuba. The USCG warned me not to go. They said I was breaking the law. They said I would be stopped when I sail back to the US. I would rather be stopped by the USCG than by the Cubans. I won't sail back for several more years.

I went just go get permission to sail the west end of Cuba in cuban water. I went in, had a UK citizen buy a cruising permit then left. The Cuban people are interesting. I like them. They hate the Russians, and make jokes and songs about Fidel and Raul. They like Americans. Marina Hemingway looks as it did in the 1950's, but all run down. It is full of Americans. When Cuba does open, I suspect you will be able to walk to Cuba on the boats. I also suspect the money is already lined up...once it is open, there will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$ flowing to Cuba.
Old 17-04-2015, 15:54   #10

I met a guy the other day here in Miami that is his business... setting up big players and big money, waiting for the doors to open for Americans to set up businesses in Cuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kr View Post
i sailed to Cuba. The USCG warned me not to go. They said I was breaking the law. They said I would be stopped when I sail back to the US. I would rather be stopped by the USCG than by the Cubans. I won't sail back for several more years.

I went just go get permission to sail the west end of Cuba in cuban water. I went in, had a UK citizen buy a cruising permit then left. The Cuban people are interesting. I like them. They hate the Russians, and make jokes and songs about Fidel and Raul. They like Americans. Marina Hemingway looks as it did in the 1950's, but all run down. It is full of Americans. When Cuba does open, I suspect you will be able to walk to Cuba on the boats. I also suspect the money is already lined up...once it is open, there will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$ flowing to Cuba.
Old 17-04-2015, 16:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing416 View Post
How do you get "help" to pay their own way?
Sounds kind of cheap of you.
Well, if you got to go on a months long vacation for free (other than food) where all that is required is an occasional watch here and there, I feel that's a fair trade for a young person trying to travel on the cheap.
Excuuuuse me.. Lol

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 17-04-2015, 17:44   #12

Sounds like the "big Money" is lining up to turn Cuba into the same sort of place it was before el Jefe kicked Battista and the Mob's mangy ass's out. Lets hope they have the sense to avoid that.
Old 17-04-2015, 17:49   #13

Boat: 1947 Hinckley Sou'wester

Cuba is easy with arms open. D'ont fret the US governmental stipulations.
Old 17-04-2015, 17:50   #14

Boat: 1947 Hinckley Sou'wester

They give you a slip of paper to place in your passport and take it away when you leave. Fret naught.
Old 18-04-2015, 09:05   #15

Hello, my name is Will Ewald. I am replying to your post for crew from Miami north. I am currently living in St Petersburg, semi retired, and in the process of finding a live aboard boat. I do not have much experience and I am looking for some more.
I have excellent references.
So, what can I do to help? Well, I am physically fit, interested in learning, and a great cook. I am available when you need me and of course NOT looking for pay.
I would be interested in learning more and if you are interested in me, can give you references and any other info that you need. My email address is gregewald@gmail.com.
Thanks, hope to hear from you.
Will

Tags
Central America, Cuba, Mexico, miami, South America