Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 07:36   #1

Boat: Hunter 410 1998
sliping inmast rolling furling sail

i have a hunter 410 1998
when i roll in the sail, the line, it slips on the wheel,roller on the mast

going out is fine

any suggestions

thanks
tjandoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 07:44   #2

Boat: Elan 45
Re: sliping inmast rolling furling sail

Mine does the same.
I was thinking to replace the furling line in a hope that a newer, softer rope will have a better grip to the drum, but not sure it would help. Curious if someone has a solution.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 07:46   #3

Boat: SOLD

Most probably the line is worn out, not having "grip" on the wheel , or wrong line diameter. The wheel could be runnig free on it's axis. Hard to tell without seen it.

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 07:57   #4
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

I have only limited experience with in mast furling, but I was always instructed to keep tension on both 'ends' of the furling line. I never experienced line slippage when adhering to these instructions.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 11:29   #5

Boat: 2000 Hunter 420

Same thing here and we have an older line as well. Easiest thing for us is to manually furl it in, i.e loose of the winch, with the other person holding slight tension on the line. Furls up nicely without problems but overall unsure why it happens in the first place.
DutchIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 11:50   #6

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

We have the Hood Stowaway and have not had this furling issue. We have tried to pay close attention to the tension both taking sail out and in. Unfortunately, the motor went intermittent and then out altogether about a month ago. Electric getting from switch to solenoid box and out to motor - so probably wire connection to motor or motor is out.

Unfortunately, to get to the motor in the mast, you have to remove sail, disconnect the boom, and remove the gooseneck. A fair amount of work here. So we will do that in the next few weeks and check the connection and motor. Any other suggestions.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 14:06   #7

Boat: Hunter 380 - 2000 - 38'

I have the same set-up on my 2000 Hunter 380. I replaced my furling line 3 years ago and have not had a problem since. And you get the bonus of learning to do an end to end splice with double braid after you thread it through the clutches. Fun.
Bacchanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 02:27   #8

Boat: Marlow Hunter 40

Mine slips as well. Had continuous line replaced with line recommended by Selden. Still slips often times. I simply put tension on the other end of the continuous furling line,mshich solves the issue.
Jim Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 04:35   #9

Boat: Hunter 41

We have a Hunter 41. We replaced our line and went to a softer, slightly larger diameter line which helped. It is important to keep tension on the line at all times or it will slip. We usually set the furler to ratchet rather than "free furling" as soon as the main is out. We had too many incidents where we needed to furl in the main in a hurry only to have the furling line slip and the main roll back out.
JD
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 04:46   #10

Boat: Marlow Hunter 40

Agree with JD that it is good practice to set furler to ratchet once main is unfurled. This is ESSENTIAL if furling at the mast with a winch handle.
Jim Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:33   #11

Boat: Hunter 460

Agree with most replies, you need to keep tension on the line. I do it by looping the other side of the loop around a winch on the cabin top - just one loop and this provides enough friction to prevent slipping. My furling line is smaller than the line I replaced and works much more efficiently but must keep the tension on, which I didn't need to do with the larger line.

The larger line also jumped out of the winch under extreme pressure one day (my fault I guess) and I couldn't get it back in without filing away some of the 'cheek' of the winch. I decided then to replace the line and enjoyed the feeling you get when you splice the line together in a continuous loop. Just follow the YouTube videos.
David Pakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mast, sail