Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 01:08   #1

Boat: Tartan 37C
Watchdog window does not display

I using OpenCPN 4.4. on a windows 10 laptop. I installed and used Watchdog 1.9042 up until a couple days ago. Now when I click on the WD icon the window does not appear. Could someone help me troubleshoot this?

Here is the log file

Thanks
Kevin
sailingjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 01:15   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Watchdog window does not display

As you can see for yourself in your log file you have hundreds of warnings like this:
Warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

just after loading this plugin:
PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
Disable this plugin, it is buggy.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 04:45   #3

Thanks Gerhard. I really like WD, it adds a lot of useful capabilities. Hopefully it can be fixed.
Old 29-12-2016, 05:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjazz View Post
Thanks Gerhard. I really like WD, it adds a lot of useful capabilities. Hopefully it can be fixed.
No, it seems not to be WD (WatchDog?) but "ocpn_draw_pi".
Right after it is loaded there are hundreds of warnings.

Gerhard
Old 29-12-2016, 22:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
No, it seems not to be WD (WatchDog?) but "ocpn_draw_pi".
Right after it is loaded there are hundreds of warnings.

Gerhard
So I disabled OCPN_Draw_PI and the

3:54:38 AM: Warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

errors go away. The Watchdog_pi window will still not display with the draw pi disabled.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 30-12-2016, 00:34   #6

Quote:
So I disabled OCPN_Draw_PI and the

errors go away. The Watchdog_pi window will still not display with the draw pi disabled.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin
The Watchdog window might be out of the visible screen or below the OpenCPN main window. I'm not sure about the Windows operating system.
After all the position of the Watchdog window is stored in the opencpn.ini file. Look for these lines:
[Settings/Watchdog]
DialogPosX=1451
DialogPosY=171

You can either delete these lines in opencpn.ini or alter them to your needs. You should do that and save the ini file while OpenCPN is not running.

Gerhard
Old 30-12-2016, 06:40   #7

Gerhard

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

I deleted the x and y lines from the ini file but the dialog still does not display. I can see it flash for an instant in the upper right hand corner of the screen when I click the WD icon but, it does not display. I looked under the UI and it is not behind the UI. I guess next I will try to uninstall the WD pi and try to reinstall.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 30-12-2016, 13:36   #8

Quote:
Gerhard

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

I deleted the x and y lines from the ini file but the dialog still does not display. I can see it flash for an instant in the upper right hand corner of the screen when I click the WD icon but, it does not display. I looked under the UI and it is not behind the UI. I guess next I will try to uninstall the WD pi and try to reinstall.

Thanks
Kevin
In most cases a reinstall does not help as far as is my experience. Another try might be to have a new and virgin opencpn.ini file. Rename the opencpn.ini to perhaps opencpn-old.ini and start OpenCPN again. You will have to make all your old settings new and also re-activate the plugins one after another. After that a new opencpn.ini will be generated and hopefully everything works as expected.

Gerhard
Old 31-12-2016, 01:17   #9

Quote:
In most cases a reinstall does not help as far as is my experience. Another try might be to have a new and virgin opencpn.ini file. Rename the opencpn.ini to perhaps opencpn-old.ini and start OpenCPN again. You will have to make all your old settings new and also re-activate the plugins one after another. After that a new opencpn.ini will be generated and hopefully everything works as expected.

Gerhard

Gerhard

Thanks that worked. I bit painful as a lot of fiddling had gone into my configuration.

Really appreciate your helping me!

Kevin
Old 31-12-2016, 01:53   #10

Quote:
Gerhard

Thanks that worked. I bit painful as a lot of fiddling had gone into my configuration.

Really appreciate your helping me!

Kevin
It might help the developers when you can provide the old and the new opencpn.ini file. So they might find the reason for the problem and are perhaps able to fix it for later versions.

Gerhard
Old 31-12-2016, 04:17   #11

Quote:
It might help the developers when you can provide the old and the new opencpn.ini file. So they might find the reason for the problem and are perhaps able to fix it for later versions.

Gerhard
Here are the files. I hope they help in debugging the problem. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Old file (bad) => ini

New file (good) => ini
Old 31-12-2016, 17:23   #12

Boat: Richter 42

Gerhard,
As far as I know the opcn_draw_pi (OD) plugin is not buggy. There was an issue with some icons distributed with the plugin, at a user request, that had incorrect RGB profiles. This has been fixed in the plugin repository on the 17th July 2016 with patch 1.2.1 . As yet it has not been made available through the standard release process.

The messages coming from the OD plugin are warnings and do not affect OCPN or any other plugin, but they will show up in the log. The watchdog plugin is loosely coupled to OD to allow warnings to be issued based on drawn objects. This means that that if OD is not enabled WD will continue to work.

If you find a bug, or potential bug in OD please raise a problem report about it. Any problems found are normally fixed in days of being raised. If they are not raised then they are not known about.

Stable, release versions of this plugin have even numbers, i.e. 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, etc. The testing, alpha, beta versions have odd numbers, i.e. 1.1, 1.3, etc. The testing versions are not meant for general use as they are under active development and may have 'bugs' as users exercise the logic. Patches are issues as a third level, i.e. 1.2.1 , 1.3.17, etc. Version 1.2 has only two patches, one for the warning message and the other to toggle the toolbar icon correctly. Neither effect the running of the plugin,other plugins or OCPN.

Jon

Quote:
As you can see for yourself in your log file you have hundreds of warnings like this:
Warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

just after loading this plugin:
PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
Disable this plugin, it is buggy.

Gerhard
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 22:05   #13

Jon,

perhaps you want to check the old and new ini files Kevin has provided here. I suggest also to deliver not too much beta versions to the public without testing. Another problem is the dependance from one plugin to another.

Gerhard
Old 31-12-2016, 23:06   #14

Boat: Richter 42

Gerhard,
I have looked at the two ini files and compared them. The only thing relevant to this is the position of the dialog which you identified earlier. I tried under windows 10 with the settings in the old ini file and see the flash as the watchdog dialog is displayed and then dissapears. I then set the dialog position to 20, 20 in the ini file after stopping OCPN, then restarted and clicked on the watchdog icon and the dialog appeared in the top left corner of the screen. I do not know how the x position got set to -5320 in the old ini, but that is definitely the issue.

A useful test would be to put back the old ini file, change the Watchdog settings to:
Code:
[Settings/Watchdog]
DialogPosX=20
DialogPosY=20
in the ini file when OCPN is not running then start it up again and click on the watchdog icon and see if the dialog box appears. Under Ubuntu the dialog always displays even if you have a position off of the screen.

I do not deliver beta versions to the public, they are made available by myself and others for beta testing and available either from github or Ricks test pages. The versions available from the download pages are not beta versions, they are release versions.

I have not built hard dependencies. However, if you wish to use boundaries with alarms you will need to use both Watchdog and Draw and they work together. If you have Watchdog but not Draw then any boundary alarm set will never fire as there will be no information provided back, this is handled. Draw does not know about Watchdog, so there is no dependency there. Watchdog does get AIS information and this is needed for the AIS alarms, but this is pushed to all plugins and the AIS mainline code knows nothing about Watchdog. It is possible to use a less loosely coupled communication using the ODAPI, requested by Sean, to make processing faster. But loose coupling is used to activate the API, so if Draw is not new enough the API will not be called.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:17   #15

[Settings/Watchdog] DialogPosX=20 DialogPosY=20
I made the above changes to my old ini file and it does fix the problem. Thanks again for all the help. I really like the OD and WD plug-ins.

Thanks
Kevin

Tags
wind