Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 16:54   #1

Faded sheer stripe - repaint or vinyl as options?

After several attempts to restore the oxidized sheer stripe along the side of my 23 ft monohull with buffing I've just about decided it's not ever going to be brought back to life. Has anyone repainted just the stripe? Are vinyl stripes/decals an option? And if I decide not to repaint it myself (I' have no experience painting a boat hull) about how much should it cost to have just the stripe done professionally?
HJ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 17:03   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Faded sheer stripe - repaint or vinyl as options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ51 View Post
After several attempts to restore the oxidized sheer stripe along the side of my 23 ft monohull with buffing I've just about decided it's not ever going to be brought back to life. Has anyone repainted just the stripe? Are vinyl stripes/decals an option? And if I decide not to repaint it myself (I' have no experience painting a boat hull) about how much should it cost to have just the stripe done professionally?

Being the safety conscious skipper I am I covered the faded green strip on my boat with yellow reflective tape. More visible during the daytime, way more visible at night time.

Cost about $100.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2879.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	138208
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The round the world Clipper yachts are vinyl wrapped to show off the sponsoring city. Seems to last quite well for them given the conditions they face on that trip.

In fact I wish they would get going again as they are blocking my local fuel berth.

https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/race/fleet
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:51   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ51 View Post
After several attempts to restore the oxidized sheer stripe along the side of my 23 ft monohull with buffing I've just about decided it's not ever going to be brought back to life. Has anyone repainted just the stripe? . . .
Yes. Used a two-pack epoxy paint and had a pro do it. Was not cheap to do, but looks great -- enormous improvement to the appearance of the boat. Still looking like new three years later.

Sheer line and cove stripe.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:56   #5

Boat: Hylas 49

Painter's tape and a small can of Brightside and even I was able to do it! I did two stripes on a 35 in a couple hours.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 08:07   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

Brightside will last about 4 years max. I used that on my boot strip. On the cove strip, I also used a dark gold reflective tape. Did it over 22 years ago and still looks great. Nice to have in a crowded anchorages, shine a light on it and it jumps out. Also night sailing I've had tugboat captains comment on it, they always use spotlights. I bought my from an auto parts distributor, like $30. Best money spent.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:52   #7

Boat: Scout 30

We used Rustoleum Topside Paint on our lobster skiff a couple of years ago & it's holding up really well. You can get it at Lowes & it's quite reasonable. With any of these it's important to use a primer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:44   #8

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

I applied a dark crimson vinyl stripe about 4inches deep and the length of boat 27ft under the rub rail and at the waterline. Looks great after 4years. Cost here in the Uk about £20. Easy to apply on your own but much easier with two people. I used a small square of rubber based carpet to squeeze out bubbles as
I applied, the other person held the roll as we progressed.
Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:53   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I just replaced the vinyl stripes on my Jeanneau 49 and it was difficult and time consuming. Getting the old stripe off was a mess leaving lots of glue behind to rub off with thinner. Of course I,ve never worked with vinyl before so doing it again would be half as slow.
Painting over the stripe with awlgrip would have been 10x easier and faster.
Good luck!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Painter's tape and a small can of Brightside and even I was able to do it! I did two stripes on a 35 in a couple hours.
Me too. Putting the tape down was the hardest part considering that the boot stripe was more than 6 ft off the ground.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:36   #11

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Two years ago I paid £80 for a vinyl boot top, it came off after two seasons. This time I replaced it with antifoul undercoat and then boot top paint. I then did a coving stripe with Brightside. It was easy, two undercoats and I did three top coats, off came the tape and job done. It took about six days with a pause between coast of 24 hours.

The boot top was more of a pain, but isnt all antifouling? I also took the opportunity to put a vinyl name. I expect it to last quite some time.

The vinyl was expensive, awkward to prep for and hard to remove without damaging the gelcoat so I would go for good 'ole paint now every time.

I'll let you know if I feel the same way in a few seasons.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 02:40   #12

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

On a glass boat, it's your choice - vinyl works very well, is easy/inexpensive to apply yourself and may last years, if surface is properly prepared.

Paint is better, labour intensive and expensive if a professional does it. Either way requires the boat to be hauled. Wide reflective tape a great idea.

However, always, always paint a metal boat. Vinyl will cause corrosion, perhaps severe, and may require painting the entire hull - and that means both sides.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 23:27   #13

I suggest you use vinyl windows because it is quite easy to maintain. When I was planning to replace my house windows, my contractor asked to get vinyl windows since it is long lasting. Comparing to other types, vinyl is the best option. I think this blog Make Your Vinyl Windows Last A Lifetime | Canglow Windows & Doors Edmonton will help you in future, to take a proper care of the vinyl windows.
LizKarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 07:39   #14

Boat: Islander 32-2

I know it's early, and I know I'm not had anything to drink (yet), but what the he*l was this last response?????
are these forums moderated?
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 07:52   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes it's moderated, but we are not omnipresent, and people make mistakes. No harm with that post, I'm sure they simply misunderstood.
Often many times English is a second language, and I for one have a deep respect for anyone that can write in multiple languages as I have no mastered one yet.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint