Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 12:10   #1

Fishing in the BVI while chartering??????

Hello all,

Heading to BVI (Tortola) to pick up a charter in July. We will be sailing a Catamaran and will have adults and kids.

What can we do/not do while chartering there? I understand we are guests in a foreign country and do not want to have any headaches while there but would also like to legally have some fun fishing.

I read that spearfishing is outlawed and was notified by my charter company (Sunsail) that fishing off the boat is illegal.

So who has been there and done that and how did you legally do it?

If I get the licences can you catch and eat your catch?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
jimfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:37   #2

Re: Fishing in the BVI while chartering??????

Don't know the answer for you, but I'm willing to bet that someone here will know...
Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 20:25   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Fishing is OK if you get a fishing license. Spearfishing is not allowed at least for us foreigners.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:55   #4

Boat: O'Day 302

Get the license, bring a yo yo/ hand line. The yellowtail are easily chummed with snacks from the boat - chips, pretzels, whatever.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:43   #5

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Not sure who you are chartering with, but they can supply you with the necessary licenses . Below is an application for Moorings. Sunsail of course would be included here. BTW, best that licenses for every line in the water. Don't think that they wont check a charter boat either. BVI takes their fisheries seriously.
http://www.moorings.com/files/ASSETS...pplication.pdf
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Yes, fishing is fun, good and easy in the BVI. We've caught King Mackeral, Spanish Mackeral, Tarpon, Bonita and assorted bottom fish. If I'm sailing Im usually trolling and fresh grilled is a good pairing with sundowners - fish tacos the next day pair well with cold Heinies. I get my license in coordination with the Moorings - our favorite charter company by far - and take an assortment of tackle. PM me for me details.
Cheers
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:53   #7

I would caution anyone eating fish other than pelagic species in the BVI as Ciguatera which is found in the reef fish. I always have a line out in the channel our offshore. Tina and Mahi are prevalent and delicious. Don't forget the fishing license. They can take the boat if caught without one
mshipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:05   #8

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipman View Post
I would caution anyone eating fish other than pelagic species in the BVI as Ciguatera which is found in the reef fish. I always have a line out in the channel our offshore. Tina and Mahi are prevalent and delicious. Don't forget the fishing license. They can take the boat if caught without one
I love "Tina"
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:52   #9

My understanding is that anyone under 18 doesn't need a license. Anyone over 18 who is going to touch a line should have a license. The penalties can be quite stiff if anyone is caught fishing without a license. That said, a trolling rod is a great idea and fun. We had the best luck either North of Tortola or South of Peter/Norman.
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:45   #10

Boat: Corsair 31 Trimaran

Greetings,
We just got back from chartering the US and BVI in May. You have to get a fishing license. The building is at the round about on the main road just North of the main part of town. The cost is about $40. When I went there was no line and I got in and out in about 20 min. My charter company said that they could have gotten it for me if they knew I wanted to fish.

We trailed a line all over, even went South of Norman Island about 3 miles and never had any luck. Then we ran into a school of tuna on the North side of Tortola. Caught 3 tuna and 2 barracuda in the span of about 3 hours. Grilled tuna and barracuda ceviche was delicious.
BMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:48   #11

the government is changing the rules as we speak you used to just get a lic. from the company you rent your gear from they would take the form to the gov. for you now they want all the boats to have a yearly lic. it is not illegal to fish with a lic, but don't get caught with out one big fines also you need a lic. for who ever touches the fishing gear
Capt. Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 17:49   #12

Boat: cape dory 31

I've caught a fair number of bonefish and one permit on the odd flat around the islands. Cam Bay on the west side in the middle of Great Camanoe, either side of the Queen's bridge between Beef And Tortola, west end of Fat Hog Bay Tortola, between Jost Van Dyke and Little JVD, and of course Anegada. Tight lines.
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, fish, fishing