Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 04:19   #1

Boat: Laguna 24
Marina del Rey to San Diego needed ASAP

New sailboat owner seeking experienced crew to sail Cal27 from Marina del Rey to San Diego ASAP pay negotiable email Tijuana_Jack at yahoo.com
Old 17-04-2016, 05:44   #2

Re: Marina del Rey to San Diego needed ASAP

I should introduce myself, my name is Jack I'm a 53 year old white male originally from San Diego. I currently live in Baja California close to the border with 5 of my children. I rent apartments and houses in the greater Tijuana Baja California North Area to Americans who are tired of the high cost of living in the greater San Diego area and I drive for Uber sometimes.

I took my kids during the Easter vacation on their first big road trip and we drove all the way down to Guerrero Negro, Muleje, Loreto, La Paz, Todos Santos, and Cabo San Lucas. In La Paz we rented a 34 foot sailboat to stay on, on Airbnb. The kids have not stopped talking about it and started looking at boats online for sale in the 30 foot range they found a very inexpensive 27 foot Jensen Marine Cal boats Cal 27 for sale in Marina del Rey on ebay and I bought it.

I need to move it to San Diego so that it's close to us so we can use it.

I have been up here in Marina del Rey for the last week going over the boat taking her out once or twice a day and fixing what needs to be fixed so that I can sail her to San Diego. I don't have much sailing experience I have a boatload of sea days mostly crewing on sport fishing boats and crewing on deliveries 99.99% power boats. This is a sweet little boat unfortunately she's been sitting for a long time and only used as a condo on the water. So as can be expected I'm buying new parts every day since I'm taking her out on the water every day something new is breaking or I'm discovering something new that needs to be fixed or replaced to make the trip. Plus the window of sailing opportunity has been limited as we've been peppered with small craft warning weather advisories for the last two weeks.

I would like to find somebody to day sail her with me everyday leaving Marina del Rey and returning until she's ready to sail to Newport Beach so that I can be closer to Minney's Yacht Surplus there's a shout-out for you Minney's Yacht Surplus 1500 Newport Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 the best place to buy awesome used yacht parts. Then day sail her from Newport Beach and return until she's ready to sail to San Diego.

It would be awesome to find somebody who will trade the joy of sailing and working on a boat but I'm willing to pay I don't know how long it's going to take I'm kind of guessing it's going to be a week of sailing her everyday and fixing something everyday maybe longer you know how it is with these boats that have been sitting in the marinas for years. Took it out yesterday sailed from Marina Del Rey to Palos Verdes almost a stone's throw got pretty rough a new small craft advisory came out while we were out and I shredded the stained raggedy jib she came with, I'm going to go buy a replacement jib first thing this morning and hopefully be sailing again this afternoon.

Anyone who is interested can email me Tijuana underscore Jack at yahoo.com come on down let's go sailing!
Old 22-04-2016, 02:57   #3

Okay well after posting to several forums and not getting any replies and discovering pros want about $800-$1,600 plus expenses for a 2 day sail.....

I sailed her myself, alone from Marina del Rey to San Diego and it was AWESOME! I saw lots and lots of Dolphins, a Grey Whale and her Calf, Sea Lions and almost no other vessels once I was under way.

I just have one question; I have a hard enough time keeping the boat into the wind for raising and lowering of sails, when keeping the boat into the wind is my only job... when you are sailing solo how the H do you keep the boat into the wind and raise or lower the sail?
Old 22-04-2016, 15:54   #4

Get a tiller pilot

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-04-2016, 15:54   #5

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Get a tiller pilot
Old 09-05-2016, 09:09   #6

Boat: Macgregor 21

I wish I would have noticed this posting sooner - I don't have the extensive experience you were looking for, but that sounds like it would have been a great trip.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Jack View Post
Okay well after posting to several forums and not getting any replies and discovering pros want about $800-$1,600 plus expenses for a 2 day sail.....

I sailed her myself, alone from Marina del Rey to San Diego and it was AWESOME! I saw lots and lots of Dolphins, a Grey Whale and her Calf, Sea Lions and almost no other vessels once I was under way.

I just have one question; I have a hard enough time keeping the boat into the wind for raising and lowering of sails, when keeping the boat into the wind is my only job... when you are sailing solo how the H do you keep the boat into the wind and raise or lower the sail?
you can use shock cord, and I know a Captain who can sail with a little bit less expence and make it less than 2 days.(depends on weather but usually takes 24 hrs from MDR to SD.)
Old 09-05-2016, 10:40   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

Wish I would have seen this when you first posted it, I would have happily helped out.

As others said, shock cord, rope, or a tiller pilot.

I wouldn't like singlehanding much without my autopilot.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:46   #9

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Whoda thought? What are the chances of Brantlychuck and I posting the exact same reply and wording at the exact same time 12 hours after the previous post/question was raised.

Tj Jack. Congratulations on your first coastal passage. I'm glad it was such a positive experience.

Cpt 757; I don't see how a shock cord can hold a boat into the wind to hoist or lower a sail, (mainsail I presume). I do know that shock cords and line can be used to hold some boats, that are sailing, on a reasonably steady course.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Whoda thought? What are the chances of Brantlychuck and I posting the exact same reply and wording at the exact same time 12 hours after the previous post/question was raised.

Tj Jack. Congratulations on your first coastal passage. I'm glad it was such a positive experience.

Cpt 757; I don't see how a shock cord can hold a boat into the wind to hoist or lower a sail, (mainsail I presume). I do know that shock cords and line can be used to hold some boats, that are sailing, on a reasonably steady course.
Shock cord works fine while hoist up and down with my 33 ft. sailboat in reasonable wind and sea condition.
Hopefully I can have a tiller pilot soon!!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:32   #11

Cpt757 you are fast. I'll have to try that sometime, but tiller pilots are great.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Cpt757 you are fast. I'll have to try that sometime, but tiller pilots are great.
I want a tiller pilot!!

Tags
california, Los Angeles, Marina del Rey, san diego, southern california