Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 09:16   #1

Scuba Diving in the Philippines

Hi....

We are leaving Hong Kong in a few days for a vacation in the PI. My gal is researching dive schools as we speak....goal is to get her a dive card.

We really don't care where we go and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, we were going to go to Thailand.....been there a bunch and like it, but she's never been to the PI and we were told the diving is better there anyway. True?

Thank you.
Old 27-02-2016, 12:57   #2

Re: Scuba Diving in the Philippines

Pangleo Bohol is cheap accessable and laid back, if that is what you want. Diving is good, but not the best in the country.

Tubbata ( sp?) reef is reputedly the best, world class. But a full on expedition to get there.

If you decide on Pangleo I can pm you some names of trusted people.

Lee

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 13:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Pangleo Bohol is cheap accessable and laid back, if that is what you want. Diving is good, but not the best in the country.

Tubbata ( sp?) reef is reputedly the best, world class. But a full on expedition to get there.

If you decide on Pangleo I can pm you some names of trusted people.

Lee

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thank you sir! Most kind of you. PM sent.
Old 27-02-2016, 15:02   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

I'll be spending a week at the end of April on a liveaboard diving Tubbataha Reef in the Sulu Sea (Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park - UNESCO World Heritage Centre). Will be flying SFO to Manila to Puerto Princesa then using Atlantis Azores (http://www.atlantishotel.com/azores/). I've never used this operator before so don't yet have an opinion on them, but they're certainly not cheap. Kinda hard to go wrong diving anywhere in the Coral Triangle though....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 15:51   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

I found Apo reef on the right day to be quite good, but need calm weather for it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 17:18   #6

Boat: Tartan 3000

I spend two months a year in Cebu Philippines. I Can comment on 3 places

1 Subic, Philippines - Baloy beach has good dive instruction. I got my card at Johans Dive Shop there.

2. Cebu, PI - Moalboal has about a dozen dive shops, excellent diving. Also, maybe the best near shore snorkeling in PI.

3. Pangalo, Island Bohol Divers on Alona Beach.

Moalboal is probably the most convenient place, subic the least convenient especially food wise.

Another place, which I have never been, is Puerto Galeria, many dive shops.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 21:40   #7

Thank you all for your replies!

Looks like we will be heading to Alona Beach.
Old 28-02-2016, 15:13   #8

Boat: Morgan 45 sloop

Hi ya

If you look at a place called Dumaguete, good airport, south from there, there are dozens of dive resorts that fit any budget,

If you base yourselves in Dumaguete there many dive locations, whale sharks,
Pagalo Island, Moalboal, Apo Island all within easy reach.

Harolds Mansion, budget, right in town, travel to dive locations, van the boat.
Welcome Home - Harolds Mansion Hostel

Liquids Dive resort, mid range, right on the beach, training pool, boat ride to dive locations,
PADI 5* IDC Dive Resort Philippines | Apo Island Scuba Diving | Liquid Dive Dumaguete -

I lived in Dumaguete for 5 years and are a diver.

all the best

Kevin
Moon rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:00   #9

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

If you do decide to visit Negros Oriental, check out Nikki & Jamie's KOO KOO's NEST, Antulang Peninsula, an hour south of Dumaguete...truly lovely setting, inexpensive, excellent food and they are dive masters. Good people.

Just around the corner of the peninsula and KKNest is Tambobo, a small fishing harbor and entrance to the bay further up, to explore with a kayak, where numerous yachts are anchored safely. Quiet, simple, rural life.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 21:21   #10

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

We live on board and spend most of our time cruising in the Philippines.
We have our own dive gear and compressor but use local dive guides wherever we go.
I can highly recommend Atlantis dive resorts in Puerto Galera (PG) and Dumaguette and they also have a live aboard called Azores.
Puerto Galera is also easy to get to from Manila and the resort sorts it all out for you.
Another good dive operation in PG is Asia Divers.
We have also dived around Bohol and any of the dive people on Alona Beach are ok.
Another great location is in the Coron/Busuanga area (North part of Palawan) with a mixture of reefs and WW2 wrecks - I can recommend Puerto Del Sol dive resort.
Old 29-02-2016, 18:30   #11

Peter, Moon Rise and Gaffermate,

Thank you for your replies......it's very helpful receiving information from people who've actually lived in the areas I've asked about.

What's good is that after my lady gets her dive card this week, we have ideas now of other places to visit.

I just arrived in Hong Kong yesterday.....will head down to Panglao Island in the next couple of days. ( Have to ferry a glorified bus to Xiamen, China first) then will have another couple weeks to check out the areas you've suggested.

Thanks again.
Old 14-03-2016, 03:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
I spend two months a year in Cebu Philippines. I Can comment on 3 places

1 Subic, Philippines - Baloy beach has good dive instruction. I got my card at Johans Dive Shop there.

2. Cebu, PI - Moalboal has about a dozen dive shops, excellent diving. Also, maybe the best near shore snorkeling in PI.

3. Pangalo, Island Bohol Divers on Alona Beach.

Moalboal is probably the most convenient place, subic the least convenient especially food wise.

Another place, which I have never been, is Puerto Galeria, many dive shops.
We stayed on Panglao Island.....Bohol Divers Resort......Beach front villa #2.

Except for the sewage smell in the bathroom...which seems to be everywhere we stayed in the PI.....GREAT holiday and the GF is now certified!
Old 14-03-2016, 03:48   #13

Just a quick note about our PI diving experience.

Panglao Island was good for what we wanted to do.....get my lady certified at a good diving school with a good instructor. Philippines Fun Divers worked out very well, had an EXTREMELY good dive instructor. Our hotel was just OK.....Bohol Diving Resort...The nicest hotel on Alona Beach was definitely the Henann Resort.

Having a fair amount of diving experience around the world....I wouldn't travel here just for the diving....just so so IMHO. We dove Balicasag Island....nothing special and the water was a bit cooler than expected...about 25C.

Food and nightlife was also just OK...beach was smaller than I expected. However, we did have a very good time. Weather was perfect, and we were on a beach in the tropics, so how bad could it be. Driving a moped up to the Chocolate Hills was a highlight.

Travel.....We flew down from HKG to MNL, then down to Bohol. I wouldn't do this again. Coming back we took a high speed cat ( business class) to Cebu. Then a flight direct to HKG on Cathay. The airport in Cebu is WAY better than the one in MNL. We are currently enjoying the Plaza Lounge awaiting our flight.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Cheers...
Old 14-03-2016, 05:59   #14

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

I'm glad it worked out ok.
Many more places in PI to dive and visit now your GF is certified.
2 highlights would be Tubbataha off Puerto Princesa, Palawan and Apo Reef in the Sulu sea off Mindoro.
Old 17-03-2016, 18:25   #15

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

Travel.....We flew down from HKG to MNL, then down to Bohol. I wouldn't do this again. Coming back we took a high speed cat ( business class) to Cebu. Then a flight direct to HKG on Cathay. The airport in Cebu is WAY better than the one in MNL. We are currently enjoying the Plaza Lounge awaiting our flight.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Cheers...
Smart move. Manila is always the place to avoid. Seem to recall MNL coming in dead last in the world for a major city airport.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, diving, Philippines, scuba