Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 20:18   #1

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini
water pump seals

So, since my water pump on my 2qm20 was leaking at the weep hole, I got new seals and impeller. Took the pump off, removed impeller and shaft. The seals were in horrible condition, ripped and falling apart. I got most of the rubber out, but there is still some rubber stuck in there. Any suggestions to remove it? I was going to try some different type of needle nose pliers tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone had a better suggestion.

Also, any suggestions on how to remove the bearings from the shaft? Thanks!
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 22:26   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: water pump seals

The rubber seals have a metal ring that supports the whole shebang, and is what makes them strong enough to press into the pump housing. I suspect that you have stripped o ut most of the rubber, but left the metal ring in place. You will have to pry or drive that part out... all the rubber will come with it.

The bearings are a press fit on the shaft, and will require pressing off to remove from the shaft. Unless you intend to replace those bearings, they don't need to come off.

Jim
Old 09-06-2015, 06:27   #3

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini

OK thanks. Going to work on the seal later today. I have to order the bearings, one turns easily the other keeps getting stuck, both seem rusted. Guess I'll see what the local shop charges to press the old off and install the new ones.
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:41   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

You can tap the bearings on/off with a hammer. I use a block of wood with a hole for the shaft to fall thru. Protect the shaft from the hammer with a thinner piece of wood. If I'm tapping on the split end of the shaft, I'll use a flat punch and tap at the bottom of the split. Tap easy and don't wail on it works for me.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals, water