Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 18:30   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Water pump seals don't come out - is it normal?

I'm rebuilding the water pump">raw water pump on my Yanmar 2QM20. The seal on the impeller side failed and started dripping water into a draining hole, located in the pump body between the two seals.

What seems odd is that the old seals were somehow bonded with the pump body and I couldn't get them out in one piece. Actually ended up prying and scratching them out with screwdriver and a bent nail one tiny shred at a time. More than an hour worth of thoughtful scratching :/

The two other times I rebuilt water pumps, seals easily popped out right after I pried out their springs.

Dear collective wisdom! Is this normal? Why would those pieces of old rubber be bonded to those bronze walls? Do I need to, I don't know, do anything about tiny rubber leftovers on the walls of seal seats? Take a drill with a little wire brush through them, soak them in gasoline, or ???
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 19:17   #2

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Water pump seals don't come out - is it normal?

Try using a little glycerin (Available in a Pharmacy) on your new set of seals or a little silicone grease. It's what we use on large pump seals on a SWRO plant..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 19:46   #3

Thanks for advice, will do.

This makes sure that they come out the next time I have to rebuild this pump (which may simply never happen). I guess, right now I'm more concerned with just how fanatical do I have to be about cleaning the seal seats. What would you say to that?
Old 18-05-2015, 03:07   #4

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

the seats have to be as clean as is possible. sandpaper wrapped around the head of a bolt maybe or something that will fit in the seats..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:38   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post

What seems odd is that the old seals were somehow bonded with the pump body and I couldn't get them out in one piece. Actually ended up prying and scratching them out with screwdriver and a bent nail one tiny shred at a time. More than an hour worth of thoughtful scratching :/

The two other times I rebuilt water pumps, seals easily popped out right after I pried out their springs.

Dear collective wisdom! Is this normal? Why would those pieces of old rubber be bonded to those bronze walls? ...
The seal was not bonded when newly installed. It bonded itself during its long period of life in the pump. Clean the area, use some vaseline or dry lubricant and replace earlier next time.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:03   #6

Boat: Cal 31, 31.5'

This isn't going to help RedHerring, but the thread raises a question regarding my Oberdorfer raw water pump. Mine was leaking the same way. Removed it and found a rubber ring and spring inside a metal ring which appeared to be press-fit into the pump housing. It was my understanding that the metal ring was part of the seal and had to come out. As I didn't have appropriate tools to push it out, I went and replaced the entire unit.

Still have the old Oberdorfer and want to fix it up as a spare. Is the metal ring part of seal and does it have to be removed and replaced? I hope so because i bent it up getting the rubber ring out.
Cal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 22:56   #7

A follow up: the great mystery was solved when I

1. Obtained replacement seals.
2. Spent two hours figuring out how to fit what looked like oversized seals, almost deciding that I somehow got the wrong ones.
3. Had an Eureka! moment when I realized that, contrary to my "knowledge" the seals are not all rubber, and what I thought were pieces of pump body were in fact the metal bits of old seals.

If you read this and think to yourself "gee, what a dummy", that sounds about right. Ah well...
Old 21-05-2015, 08:52   #8

RedHerring, thank you for responding back. This is exactly what I needed to know for sure. Don't feel like a dummy, or at least join the very large fraternity of the rest of us dummies.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal31 View Post
This isn't going to help RedHerring, but the thread raises a question regarding my Oberdorfer raw water pump. Mine was leaking the same way. Removed it and found a rubber ring and spring inside a metal ring which appeared to be press-fit into the pump housing. It was my understanding that the metal ring was part of the seal and had to come out. As I didn't have appropriate tools to push it out, I went and replaced the entire unit.

Still have the old Oberdorfer and want to fix it up as a spare. Is the metal ring part of seal and does it have to be removed and replaced? I hope so because i bent it up getting the rubber ring out.
Here's how I did mine, read the links within this link, too.

Mysteries of the Oberdorfer - Seal Replacement - REBUILDING A PUMP w/Flix
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:23   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Don't use Vaseline. Petroleum based Vaseline causes rubber to swell and to weaken. Silicon grease does not do this to rubber.

For stubborn impellers, use an impeller removal tool.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:41   #11

Stu, David and Red, thank you very much. This is the kind of information that makes the forum invaluable. I am trying to figure out how to use the impeller removal tool on the seals as well. It will take some modification of the tool, just have to figure it out.

Regards,
Cal31
Old 21-05-2015, 09:45   #12

Quote:
I am trying to figure out how to use the impeller removal tool on the seals as well. It will take some modification of the tool, just have to figure it out.
Why? The links in the one I sent include how to make the extractor tool - it's just a cheap Allen wrench with the short end ground down to fit inside the pump. You knock the old seals out with it.

Glad to help.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:46   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Take a plastic scraper to the old rubber seals. Spray some WD-40 on it to help soften the old rubber....remember likes dissolve likes from chemistry?

The tool is just for removing the impeller, not the seal.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:17   #14

My success rate with hammering on things has not been too good. Was thinking about a more controlled method, like the impeller puller which I understand is for removing impellers as currently configured and would have to be modified.
Old 21-05-2015, 11:55   #15

Quote:
My success rate with hammering on things has not been too good. Was thinking about a more controlled method, like the impeller puller which I understand is for removing impellers as currently configured and would have to be modified.
Cal, I had EXACTLY that fear when I did what I documented in the link.

David was trying to get you away from the impeller thingy, it is NOT the right tool for the seals.

I finally figured it out: the old seals are crap anyway, so continued light tapping with a hammer maybe will break them, maybe will tilt them off center enough to push them out, etc. What comes out can look like a pretzel for all it matters! Just be careful not to scrape the walls of the pump/bushing and you'll be fine. Use a small hammer. You are NOT busting down the Great Wall of China, just a cheap seal. Notice how they're built: thin copper with rubber and/or springs inside. They are made to be removed. Why? So you can replace 'em.

I put a piece of wood over that socket when I installed the new ones.

Follow the directions, please read all the links, they explain the process quite well but, just like you and all the rest of us who have done this, the first time is the hardest.

Heck, if even I can do it....:bigg rin:

Good luck.

Tags
seals, water