Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 10:53   #1

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Odd request/favor of Bahia and/or Belize owners

I have what might seem like an odd request but that has never stopped me in the past. My wife and I are a few short months and the sale of one home away from retiring and sailing away. We had always thought we wanted a Lagoon 420, primarily because I am 6’6” and built more like an NFL lineman then a ballet dancer and the L420 “fit.” This year at Annapolis while visiting with our broker two older Fountaine Pajot boats came up in discussion, the Bahia and the Belize (with doubts about if I would fit in the Belize.) I have done as much research as possible on the Internet and just need to get on board one of these and honestly see if I fit. So here is the odd request; we are looking for someone in the US to invite up onboard his or her Bahia or Belize; whether it is for sale or not to see if we, ok, if I “fit.” We live a bout as far from either coast in West Texas so it would be great if there were a vessel on the Texas gulf coast (doubtful) but we are open to travel. We are not looking for a ride or anything other than a chance to see get on board for an hour or so and visit with the owner. We are also interested in opinions from owners (current and past) of both of these boats; likes, dislikes, etc.

Thanks and if you want you can PM me and we can visit that way.

Fred
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:38   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Odd request/favor of Bahia and/or Belize owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchristo View Post
I have what might seem like an odd request but that has never stopped me in the past. My wife and I are a few short months and the sale of one home away from retiring and sailing away. We had always thought we wanted a Lagoon 420, primarily because I am 6’6” and built more like an NFL lineman then a ballet dancer and the L420 “fit.” This year at Annapolis while visiting with our broker two older Fountaine Pajot boats came up in discussion, the Bahia and the Belize (with doubts about if I would fit in the Belize.) I have done as much research as possible on the Internet and just need to get on board one of these and honestly see if I fit. So here is the odd request; we are looking for someone in the US to invite up onboard his or her Bahia or Belize; whether it is for sale or not to see if we, ok, if I “fit.” We live a bout as far from either coast in West Texas so it would be great if there were a vessel on the Texas gulf coast (doubtful) but we are open to travel. We are not looking for a ride or anything other than a chance to see get on board for an hour or so and visit with the owner. We are also interested in opinions from owners (current and past) of both of these boats; likes, dislikes, etc.

Fred
If you are headed to SW Florida, holler, I'll give a tour of a Belize.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:41   #3

BTW, I found this in the archives! I can't vouch for the accuracy of it, at 5' 7", I have no need to prove/disprove the numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fountaine Pajot - Headroom data.pdf (172.6 KB, 357 views)
Old 25-10-2012, 11:08   #4

Thanks DoDun-

We are flying into Lauderdale 12 December but renting a car so we can travel around. Being from West Texas 200 miles is just down the road a piece so we can get pretty much anywhere. I had looked at that info on headroom but am not sure if it is the average headroom or max headroom so if when possible love to look and see. I will shoot you a PM as we get closer to December and if you are still available we would love to take you up on your offer for a tour.
Old 25-10-2012, 13:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchristo View Post
Thanks DoDun-

We are flying into Lauderdale 12 December but renting a car so we can travel around. Being from West Texas 200 miles is just down the road a piece so we can get pretty much anywhere. I had looked at that info on headroom but am not sure if it is the average headroom or max headroom so if when possible love to look and see. I will shoot you a PM as we get closer to December and if you are still available we would love to take you up on your offer for a tour.
Looking forward to it!
Old 25-10-2012, 15:05   #6
DtM

Good on you DotDun.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 07:30   #7

Hi, We have the 2001 Bahia 46. We are located in Key Largo, Fl. Our 6'4" friend fits fine but hardly room to spare. More head room in the cabins than the salon. You are welcome to come aboard. Actually the boat will soon be for sale and no it is not the one in Ft Lauderdale listed with a broker.
frenchy joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

[QUOTE=fbchristo;1066984]I have what might seem like an odd request but that has never stopped me in the past. My wife and I are a few short months and the sale of one home away from retiring and sailing away. We had always thought we wanted a Lagoon 420, primarily because I am 6’6” and built more like an NFL lineman then a ballet dancer and the L420 “fit.” This year at Annapolis while visiting with our broker two older Fountaine Pajot boats came up in discussion, the Bahia and the Belize (with doubts about if I would fit in the Belize.) I have done as much research as possible on the Internet and just need to get on board one of these and honestly see if I fit. So here is the odd request; we are looking for someone in the US to invite up onboard his or her Bahia or Belize; whether it is for sale or not to see if we, ok, if I “fit.” We live a bout as far from either coast in West Texas so it would be great if there were a vessel on the Texas gulf coast (doubtful) but we are open to travel. We are not looking for a ride or anything other than a chance to see get on board for an hour or so and visit with the owner. We are also interested in opinions from owners (current and past) of both of these boats; likes, dislikes, etc.

Hi FBC,
Did you ever get aboard a Belize or Bahia? I am also 6'6" (ex rugby player) and have the same concerns regarding 'moving' space. We crossed the Lipari off the list as she was just too cramped. We used to own an Island Spirit that had good space but it was custom built and I never want another raked mast. We have owned several cats over the years as long term live aboards/cruisers and am adamant about having certain features.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39   #9

Hi Bulawayo ,

Yes we got aboard both. Only the Bahia came close but I only fit in 75% of her. Unless you get a owners version the heads are tight and the aft berths are across the hull and would make sleeping difficult for me. We still are considering a Bahia due to its sailing reputation but it would mean a lot f compromises, foremost, I would sleep in the forward berth no large enough for both of us and my wife in the aft berth. I think there are ways to make the aft berth wider but nothing can be done about the leg room. Not much to be done about the cramped heads.

If the Lapri is too cramped your best option would be the Orana. That is what we are focusing on now but few at our price point; perhaps after the next charter season more will appear on the market. Seems al the newer cats are 45' and up with plenty of room but just too expensive. We have also looked at the Lagoon 380 owners version. It is tight but for the price of those on the market it is possible but again with several compromises.

Best of luck on your search.

Fred
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi FBC,
We spent nearly 10 years sailing and we are not happy with elevated helm positions. So many cats are going this way but they scare the trousers of me when there is extreme weather. The windage of these cats is appalling - built for the charter market. If you look at You Tube 'Honeymoon' and hear what the owners say you may reconsider the L38 - it is nose heavy. We also saw these whilst sailing ourselves - usually with jerry cans of water on the transom steps and the forward water tanks empty to help correct their nose down attitude. You no doubt read stories of how XYZ sailed one for years without issue but you don't hear the other side of matters.
We are also struggling to find a suitable cat with decent headroom whilst having decent aesethetics - so far the list is short: Leopard 43, Leopard 45 and possibly a 44 Voyager.
Old 10-09-2013, 14:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi FBC,
We spent nearly 10 years sailing and we are not happy with elevated helm positions. So many cats are going this way but they scare the trousers of me when there is extreme weather. The windage of these cats is appalling - built for the charter market. If you look at You Tube 'Honeymoon' and hear what the owners say you may reconsider the L38 - it is nose heavy. We also saw these whilst sailing ourselves - usually with jerry cans of water on the transom steps and the forward water tanks empty to help correct their nose down attitude. You no doubt read stories of how XYZ sailed one for years without issue but you don't hear the other side of matters.
We are also struggling to find a suitable cat with decent headroom whilst having decent aesethetics - so far the list is short: Leopard 43, Leopard 45 and possibly a 44 Voyager.
You MIT want to look at the Main Cat 41. It's a board boat and very fast, lots of headroom, and the helm is located inside the salon which is also the bridge deck. It is Bally down but with tons of space. Last I looked there were 2 on the market, I know one of them very well having trained on her as well as help on a delivery. They are a little spartan inside ad the windows for e salon/ bridge deck are strata glass and removal, defiantly a mid-lattitude vessel. I have seen most of the s/v Honeymoon YouTube postings and yes they seem to be overly nose heavy but they are solid glass below the waterline which s one of my requirements; well for nowadays least. I do like the Leopard 46 but then again it's price point is not good right now.

All the best,

Fred
Old 10-09-2013, 20:41   #12
DtM

Have a look at an Orana in the FP range. Very good headroom
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 13:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dear FBC,
Have you found a cat to fit yet? I keep hearing about the Main Cat? Unfortunately, it seems a long way to go to check them out. I did look at the FP Orana but felt that its build quality was just a bit light. It did have good enough space. I'm 6'6" & 120kg (260lb) slim whilst my wife is 5'11' - we also require decent headroom and fore/aft beds.
We are still looking and presently believe that the Voyage 44 or the Privilege 435 would also suit - just need another year to pay for it!!
Old 22-07-2017, 09:19   #14

Quick solution: change both sleep orientation and length of the aft bunk bed by extending the existing bed frame. A little carpentry involved and I'm not sure if the Bahia 4-cabin version has enough room with the door and all, but worth a shot.
Tdh001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:19   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdh001 View Post
Quick solution: change both sleep orientation and length of the aft bunk bed by extending the existing bed frame. A little carpentry involved and I'm not sure if the Bahia 4-cabin version has enough room with the door and all, but worth a shot.
That's an interesting comment because it is one of the things we put on our job list when we bought our 4-cabin Bahia. It's definitely do-able. We planned to remove the door to the aft cabin and fit a door at the top of the steps adjacent the galley - exactly as per the owners version - to effectively make the starboard hull an owners hull but with two heads - one of which would be a dedicated shower room. ...The reality is we've now got so used to the aft cabin berth arrangement that we've forgotten about changing it.

Oh, one other thing, we love our Bahia! She sails beautifully. 10 knots is easy peasy, without really trying, and we manage 12 knots regularly. We've seen 14+ knots (sustained) on several occasions but that's when I start slowing things down. I can't speak about other Fountaine Pajots because I haven't sailed any but we are very happy with the sailing performance of our Bahia.
Bill4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bahia, Belize