Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2012, 10:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Sunbrella vs Odyssey for sacrificial strip

The sacrificial strips on our furling yankee and staysail need replacing (47 foot cruising sailboat).

Is there any difference in UV resistance between the two fabrics?

The Odyssey is a lighter fabric. Will this make a significant difference in light air for a boat our size?

I will be using Tenara thread probably.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 11:40   #2

Re: Sunbrella vs Odyssey for sacrificial strip

Yes, there is, Sunbrella is better, according to the below:

"Odyssey III:
Odyssey III is a lighter weight (polyester) version of Top Gun. Similar characteristics including high strength, dimensional stability, and abrasion, mildew, and UV resistance. Use for lightweight protective covers for boats, dinghies, and grills, or for bags and totes. 6.5 oz. per square yard. 3 year warranty.

Breathe Ability (3): Slightly more breathable than Top Gun, but a little less water resistant.

Waterproof (3): An additional clear acrylic backcoat is applied to further enhance its water repellent properties. Odyssey III is just slightly more water resistant than standard Sunbrella Marine Grade.

Abrasion Resistance (4): The polymeric coating makes Odyssey III extremely resistant to abrasion.

UV Resistance (3): Polyester is a very UV resistant material but less so than 100% acrylic fabrics like Sunbrella and vinyl coated polyester fabrics like Stamoid.

Colorfastness (2): Surface dyeing color does not stay true as long as solution-dyed fabrics like Sunbrella and SurLast. Colors are also not as vibrant or consistent as Sunbrella and SurLast outdoor fabrics.

Clean Ability (3): Easy to clean, and although a soft tight weave, dirt easily washes free from the crevasses of the yarn. The acrylic coating on one side does make dislodging dirt slightly more difficult than cleaning non-coated woven fabrics."

Although the UV resistance apparently isn't as good, it does say that Odyssey has better abrasion resistance which is something worth considering in the application you're interested in. Sunbrella is not really very abrasion resistant...

And yes, your sail will perform better with lighter cloth. Speaking of lightness, there is also a UV stickyback product, similar to the stickyback for sail insignia, that you can use for sacrificial strip. It's usually used for small boats and is only good for 5-7 years compared to 10 for Sunbrella.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 15:20   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

The lighter polyester strip is lighter but it deteriorates in the UV. The Sunbrella will not deteriorate.

I would use the light strip for a furling kite or a very light genoa that can be dropped and removed easily. I would use Sunbrella type of fabric for sails that stay in the sun over prolonged periods.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 16:45   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Use tenara thread for the covers. Other threads though not sure what they were failed before the sunbrella repeatedly on sabray.. Stitching a new Bimini with tenara. Fabric is the alternate to sunbrella from sailrite. Wish I had used sunbrella. I like the feel better. This stuff is supposed to be better. So maybe 8 years from now ill be all gaga over it but not sure it was a good choice.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 20:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
"Odyssey III:
Abrasion Resistance (4): The polymeric coating makes Odyssey III extremely resistant to abrasion.
Although the UV resistance apparently isn't as good, it does say that Odyssey has better abrasion resistance which is something worth considering in the application you're interested in. Sunbrella is not really very abrasion resistant
And yes, your sail will perform better with lighter cloth
Thanks for the lengthy specs on Odyssey. The abrasion resistance was not something I had considered. Do you think the better UV resistance of Sunbrella would outweigh its lesser abrasion resistance for a sacrificial strip?

And is the extra weight a big issue? The yankee probably has close to 60 yards for the leach and luff and is about a foot and a half wide (some kind of sturdy cruising laminate).

Old 18-12-2012, 20:25   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The lighter polyester strip is lighter but it deteriorates in the UV. The Sunbrella will not deteriorate.

I would use the light strip for a furling kite or a very light genoa that can be dropped and removed easily. I would use Sunbrella type of fabric for sails that stay in the sun over prolonged periods.

b.
Thanks Barny. UV resistance is probably the number one consideration as our headsails are up all year (at anchor the whole time). The sails are still in very good condition but the current sacrificial strip is starting to shred and the thread needs barely a pull to snap. Really apparent now that the sails are down.

Old 18-12-2012, 20:29   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Use tenara thread for the covers. Other threads though not sure what they were failed before the sunbrella repeatedly on sabray.. Stitching a new Bimini with tenara......
Sabray, any tips on sewing with Tenara? I bought a roll a couple of years ago and resewed our boon tent stitching with it on a conventional machine. It is clear thread (I don't know if that makes it worse to handle).
I swore at it quite a lot as I was sewing LOL. It will be used this time on a Sailrite.

Old 07-01-2013, 22:31   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quick update. After a lot of indecision about the drawbacks of weight issues as opposed to the advantage of longevity, I have ordered 14m of Sunbrella fabric for the sacrificial strips on the yankee and staysail. Fingers crossed we can still sail in light air or I am in BIG trouble LOL.

Old 31-01-2013, 12:33   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another quick update if anyone is considering Sunbrella for their sacrificial strip. Our sails have a heavy laminate construction, so the Sunbrella is not heavy in proportion to what we have.

Replacement of the strip has gone extremely well, it is just a very labour intensive job.

I have been acting as "apprentice" to a cruiser anchored a few nm away and I have learned a huge amount in the process, including troubleshooting problems while using the Sailrite. I will not find it daunting now to do any repairs we may need in the future (a great skill to have I think).

I have attached a photo taken today of the luff of the completed Yankee. To give you some idea of scale, that is me way at the very end looking tiny in proportion to the length:

PS Oops, meant leech not luff, hope it was sewn on the right end LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	53840  

Old 07-02-2013, 06:41   #10

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Is there a thread on CF about the Sailrite and opinions on use etc?

The YouTube videos look impressive
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Spirit View Post
Is there a thread on CF about the Sailrite and opinions on use etc?
The YouTube videos look impressive
There is a recent thread here on sewing machines in general, including the Sailrite:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nes-93221.html

I have found the machine to be very impressive.

Despite watching the relevant YouTube clip, am still struggling to work out how to sew Sunbrella using Tenara (one of the Teflon, highly UV resistant threads) though. This will just take a bit of experimenting I think.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Sabray, any tips on sewing with Tenara? I bought a roll a couple of years ago and resewed our boon tent stitching with it on a conventional machine. It is clear thread (I don't know if that makes it worse to handle).
I swore at it quite a lot as I was sewing LOL. It will be used this time on a Sailrite.
use a lubricant on the thread. I use a pre-feeder device that is a small bottle with foam that I impregnate with the thread lube. get it via Sailrite

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
use a lubricant on the thread. I use a pre-feeder device that is a small bottle with foam that I impregnate with the thread lube. get it via Sailrite
Thanks .

I will order this directly from Sailrite, as it is not available through Solent Sew in the UK (their EU distributor). I want to use Tenara on the new boom tent and I can play with it at my leisure to get it right.

Coats V138 was used on the new Sunbrella sacrificial strip in the end as the job was difficult enough without introducing the complication of working with Tenara. In another few years I think I will simply run down the main stitching of the sacrificial strip with Tenara before the thread starts to show any wear from UV.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:23   #14

Tenara and other PTFE thread is all about managing tension. The shop I work for has never cared for Tenara.

I have heard, here in fact, about another PTFE thread that is supposed to be less painful to use, I think this is the stuff:
PTFE Thread | Embroidery | SolarFix Thread | Sewing Thread
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PTFE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Tenara and other PTFE thread is all about managing tension. The shop I work for has never cared for Tenara.

I have heard, here in fact, about another PTFE thread that is supposed to be less painful to use, I think this is the stuff:
PTFE Thread | Embroidery | SolarFix Thread | Sewing Thread
The problem I am having is skipped stitches . LOTS of them. I am using the clear version which may be making it worse.

Thanks for the link to another thread. I will try that if I have no luck with my clear Tenara.

Sailrite sell 2 types of PTFE thread (Tenara and Helios). I have heard the Helios sews a little more easily too.

Tags
mobile, sacrificial strip, Sail repair