Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 13:23   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'
Internet access via WIFI

I recently installed a Ubiquiti Bullet M2 https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/with a all-round antenna, mounted well above the solar panels, to give it a clear 'view'.
Connected to a laptop running WIN10 with a RJ45 cable over a POE box.
The system receives ton's of WIFI ap's, many more than just using the laptop Wifi receiver, also the signal strength is far superior.
So it seems like a perfect solution.. Or is it?

The problem I am having is that the bullet connects perfectly to the AP.
BUT that's as far as it goes. --> Just a connection.
It will not let me make contact with the website in order to agree (tick the box) to the disclaimer etc.

So, I contacted the Ubiquiti forum for a solution, where they, in short, tell me the following:
If there is a login to a Website behind the access
point. This is common for business WiFi service. . It works by finding the MAC address of the WiFi device; it will not permit a login to the MAC address of any other device.
In this case, the company Website login finds the MAC address of the Bullet radio--not the one for your laptop. It will not permit you to login. You need to use the WiFi device in your laptop

Is there a way to bypass the MAC address of the Bullet and feed the connected AP, the MAC address of the laptop instead

Does anyone have an other solution??
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 13:41   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Internet access via WIFI

Ummmm. I am not sure you've got this right. What they were describing is a situation like I had at my old job. You brought your device to work (laptop, phone etc) and if you had previously been allowed to logon then your MAC address was stored and you became a permanent part of the network. If you had tried to logon with your laptop through a Ubiquiti it would indeed say no, you can't connect because it wouldn't recognize you as a previously authorized user.

But if you are trying to hook into a system that doesn't already know your device's MAC address, then it shouldn't care that you are using the Ubiquiti MAC.

Or am I not understanding you?
Old 11-01-2019, 14:02   #3

Macblaze, The problem seems to be that if the connection is made via one MAC address, the AP will only recognize(or talk to) that address, it will not accept "the transfer" to a second MAC. The bullet cannot 'talk' back.
Old 11-01-2019, 14:21   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Macblaze suggests:
It is fairly common for someone to set up a private WiFi router so that it only allows specific MAC addresses (specific authorized devices) to connect. If you aren't on that list--you're not going to be connected. Unless you spoof an authorized MAC but that's a bit unconventional and often illegal.
If you are an authorized user, you'd just need to tell your system administrator the MAC address of your bullet instead of your laptop.
If you're trying to connect to a public hot spot, i.e. a local library that has "public" free WiFi, you'd still want to contact their tech to find out what exactly is required to gain access.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 14:57   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

A mac address is simply a unique I'd for a network interface. There's no other smarts about it. The mac won't be rejected by a public wifi and a private one with Mac filtering will most likely tell you you're not authorised to connect. The bullet is fairly complex to configure so double check you have the correct gateway and dns settings applied.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:43   #6

I'm away from my bullet so I can't test this for you. But look for MAC cloning in the bullet interface. You might try making the Bullet the same as your computer or the same as your router, if attached.
MAC Address Cloning When enabled, you can change
the MAC address of the respective interface. This is
especially useful if your ISP only assigns one valid IP
address and it is associated to a specific MAC address. This
is usually used by cable operators or some WISPs.
• MAC Address Enter the MAC address you want to clone
to the respective interface. This becomes the new MAC
address of the interface.
Again haven't tested this but: Alternatively on a PC Win 10 go to Settings-Network & Internet-WiFi-Hardware Properties. Write down the Physical Address (MAC) in case you need to go back. Then go to Device Manager- Network Adapters- ...Wireless Adapter...-Advanced-Network Address Try using the same MAC address as the Bullet has in Value.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:57   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
I'm away from my bullet so I can't test this for you. But look for MAC cloning in the bullet interface. You might try making the Bullet the same as your computer or the same as your router, if attached.
Again haven't tested this but: Alternatively on a PC Win 10 go to Settings-Network & Internet-WiFi-Hardware Properties. Write down the Physical Address (MAC) in case you need to go back. Then go to Device Manager- Network Adapters- ...Wireless Adapter...-Advanced-Network Address Try using the same MAC address as the Bullet has in Value.
I figured there had to be something like this in the device but I couldn't figure out how to say it without making it worse...
Old 12-01-2019, 10:34   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
I recently installed a Ubiquiti Bullet M2

The problem I am having is that the bullet connects perfectly to the AP.
BUT that's as far as it goes. --> Just a connection.
It will not let me make contact with the website in order to agree (tick the box) to the disclaimer etc.

So, I contacted the Ubiquiti forum for a solution, where they, in short, tell me the following:
If there is a login to a Website behind the access
point. This is common for business WiFi service. . It works by finding the MAC address of the WiFi device; it will not permit a login to the MAC address of any other device.
In this case, the company Website login finds the MAC address of the Bullet radio--not the one for your laptop. It will not permit you to login. You need to use the WiFi device in your laptop

Is there a way to bypass the MAC address of the Bullet and feed the connected AP, the MAC address of the laptop instead

Does anyone have an other solution??
I use a Bullet M2HP also, in my case feeding a linksys router as ininternal access point for shipboard devices. Usually a “captive portal” isn’t a problem as the shore side sees the MAC of the Bullet instead of your laptop, but that’s the only one it ever sees so it’s at least consistent.

I have seen Networks where the shore AP either does not assign An IP addresse to the bullet, either because DHCP is not enabled (private network of sorts) or because it ran out of addresses - it’s typical to see a network with Class C addressing (e.g. 192.168.0.x netmask 255.255.255.0 or /24) and DHCP starting at 100, leaving only .100 to .254 for clients.

You can check the Bullet status page at the bottom where it shows DHCP client, if it is getting an address.

Another failure mode is when the outside network has the same address space as the Bullet’s internal LAN - I.e. if both WAN and LAN are set to 192.168.1.x, nothing will get routed. After several address changes during cruises (which is a pain because I have rather too many network devices aboard), I’ve been using 192.168.11.0 internally, which so far hasn’t conflicted with any shoreside systems. I think this may be your mostly likely problem.

Good luck.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:00   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
When I used a Bullet while cruiser ( I use different systems now ), I ran into issues with captive portals all the time. There were several workarounds I had to implement, which differed depending on the network I attached to..

Captive portals work in a couple different ways but generally they track the MAC address of the WiFi client AND they generally use DNS redirection.

You may only need to solve DNS redirection, or you may need to handle both.

For DNS redirection not working, look at the Bullet's connection information and find out what DNS server it received from DHCP. Manually enter that into your computer's DNS server settings. By doing this, it allows your computer to receive the DNS redirection to get to the login/disclaimer page.

If that doesn't fully work, you may also need to handle the MAC address. The way to do that is to first login to the WiFi network from a laptop (no extender/bullet in use). Get it working, then disconnect the laptop from the Wifi and in the Bullet, edit the Bullet's WiFI MAC Address (advanced settings), and put in the same MAC address that your laptop has.

By doing this, the WiFi Network will think the bullet IS your laptop and just reconnected.

Doing one or both of these things will get you around most of the WiFi networks.

That said, these issues and others (like not working with WEP networks, not remembering WiFi networks and passcodes that you have previously used, and requiring a reboot everytime you switch networks) are why I generally don't recommend the Bullet for cruisers unless you are technically savvy. There are other, much easier to use devices which admittedly cost a bit more. They have special captive portal support, network favorites, auto-reconnection, and super simple UI's
Old 12-01-2019, 17:36   #10

Quote:
I ticked MAC address cloning and filled in the MAC adress of the laptop.
It was accepted by the bullet. I reboot both laptop and bullet, Bullet is running and connected to an AP (signal -52dBm), but I can't access the website behind it, it just does not come up. All I get is "No internet" .

Under "MAIN" the bullet interface shows:
Wlan0 shows the MAC of the laptop
LAn0 shows the MAC of the bullet
While prior to changing both Lan0 & WLan0 showed the MAC of bullet

On WIN 10 LAPTOP: Device manager(& Hidden devices enabled) does not list a entry for "Wireless Adapter" (with or without Wifi/bluetooth radios switched on/off)
But there is a Wireless adapter under Ethernet(TCP/IP4) in netwotk connections, but there is NO "advanced" facility.
Seems i interpret your directions wrong?
Old 12-01-2019, 18:11   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

It was accepted by the bullet. I reboot both laptop and bullet, Bullet is running and connected to an AP (signal -52dBm), but I can't access the website behind it, it just does not come up. All I get is "No internet" .

On WIN 10 LAPTOP: Device manager(& Hidden devices enabled) does not list a entry for "Wireless Adapter" (with or without Wifi/bluetooth radios switched on/off)

But there is a Wireless adapter under Ethernet(TCP/IP4) in netwotk connections, but there is NO "advanced" facility.

There are a few things that might explain your experience.

First, many public WiFi sites are dodgy...the internet connection behind the router, or the router itself, goes up and down, or is overloaded etc. This manifests itself as a good connection with full bars etc but no throughput. Second, some accesspoints filter not by WPA etc but by MAC address which. In that case, if you’re not an allowed MAC address (input into the routers access table) it does not matter whether your MAC address is coming from the Bullet or the computer, it’s going to be blocked, strong signal aside.

Have you tried connecting to a known, open access point and had this behavior? A quick test is the tether of your phone via WiFi, if that is available.
Old 12-01-2019, 19:00   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

How is the Windows 10 computer connected to the Bullet? Did you plug the bullet ethernet cord into the computer directly? If so, the network connection in Windows 10 will be the Ethernet, not a Wireless adapter. The Bullet is not a wireless adapter, think of it as another computer that is sharing it's wifi Internet connection with your laptop over the ethernet cable.

Check the DHCP client status on the bullet and make sure it got an IP address from the remote network, make sure there is a DNS server listed there as well. Then edit your Windows 10 ethernet settings and add that same DNS server.
Old 12-01-2019, 19:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post

Check the DHCP client status on the bullet and make sure it got an IP address from the remote network, make sure there is a DNS server listed there as well. Then edit your Windows 10 ethernet settings and add that same DNS server.
The bullet is connected via RJ45 cable from the poe adapter lan socket
In DHCP client info: Interface : WLAN0 & Status : Not Connected

MAC address cloning enabled & displays MAC address of the laptop
Bullet is setup as Network mode: Router and Wireless mode : Station
DHCP & NAT +(protocol)enabled
Old 12-01-2019, 19:46   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
In DHCP client info: Interface : WLAN0 & Status : Not Connected
This is your issue for now.. WLAN0 is not connected to the remote network. You should double check the remote WiFi network SSID, password, etc. Make sure you've saved and applied settings which reboots the bullet. If you still get same status you should try a different remore WiFi network.

Also, if the remote network is WEP encryption, you won't be able to connect with a Bullet. It will only work with Open, WPA, and WPA2.
Old 12-01-2019, 20:09   #15

It is connected -->signal strength -53dBm The ap is open Both the LAN and Wlan graphs RX & TX jagged blue & red lines progressing

The AP MAC has a different number compared to the wlan & lan MAC's
Would you like a screenprint?

Tags
internet, wifi