Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2008, 16:48   #1

pirate Crew Wanted: SoCal to Caribbean or Florida

I have a vagabond 47 in Southern California and I am in the planning stages to bring the boat to the Caribbean or Florida. Depending on crew availability I would anticipate setting out right after Christmas 2008. Looking for at least one other experienced sailor plus 3 others. I would like to have my own crew handle the boat through the Panama Canal (min 5 people on board).

The boat has a V berth, double and single in the saloon, quarter berth (single) and the double in the Captain's Quarters. Center cockpit Ketch rigged. Not the fastest boat on the planet but built for this kind of a trip.

Cover your own airfares, share the onboard costs and cover your own onshore costs.
Old 23-11-2008, 09:22   #2

Want to travel with you!

Hi! My boyfriend and I are interested in traveling with you! We are looking to leave between Christmas and New Years. Neither of us has much experience on boats, but we both really want to learn. We can cook, clean, bake, entertain, etc. How much are you estimating for onboard costs? Thanks.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:31   #3

Update to Original Posting

This will be a non-smoking, no drugs, mininal alcohol trip. It is possible to have a great time without any of those and you get to remember the fun times.

Safety is a priority

The V berth can accomodate two friendly people, the quarter berth can acomodate two really friendly people. in theory the boat can accomodate 4 couples. With 8 people on board the watches can be doubled up and the per person costs come down.

The goal is to sail as much as possible and conserve the diesel. The galley is all electric therefore the generator has to run to use the stove and is charging the batteries at the same time.

The onboard costs will be a share of the cost of provisioning the boat and a share of the cost of the Panama Canal transit fees currently running at about $1800 for a boat of this size.

I can take inexperienced crew provided that I have at least one other experienced crew member.

Send me a private message with your contact details.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:33   #4

Hello Tooky,

I updated the posting, check to see if you are still interested. If so send me a private message with your contact details and let's chat.
Old 23-11-2008, 14:56   #5

Britishpirate-

I am getting ready to graduate and am looking for a bit of excitement before I start working in late January 08! Your trip sounds like the perfect adventure! I have no sailing experience but grew up in the water surfing on the outer banks of North Carolina. I have lived in Peru, and traveled to Costa Rica, Cayman Islands, and more. When do you think the trip would conclude? Let me know if the position is still available!
Old 23-11-2008, 17:21   #6

Hello blackbeardsgirl,

With a trip of this type it is difficult to determine a specific arrival time in any location, there are many factors that influence the rate of progress under sail, not least of which is the wind. The thing to bear in mind is that the trip will be a series of hops and that the planned stops will be in locations that are served by some form of transport to the nearest airport. Therefore you could jump ship if you needed to before the final destination.

If you would like to discuss this further drop me a private message with your contact details.
Old 24-11-2008, 12:33   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tobago
Hi Britishpirate

I'm located in San Diego. I'm interested in your voyage and would like to send you my sailing resume. I have a few ASA certifications and about 150+- day at sea. I'm a non-smoker, non-drugs, married, 43 year old sailor.

Could you please send me your email address so I can forward my info onto you. My email is Boheri@san.rr.com
Old 28-11-2008, 02:37   #8

Britishpirate,

I am interested, I only have limited sailing experience but have spent many years around powered boats in Australia and co-owned 2. Im really keen to learn and get some experience on the water and am happy to pitch in with whatever needs doing, whenever.
Im wondering how long you expect the trip to take to get to Panama canal? I know this is dependant on wind etc, but do you have a rough idea?
Also what is the weather expected to be like down the West Coast at the time?
Im in London and can fly to Cal whenever after xmas to join the ship, or possible even fly and meet you further south later in jan.

R's

Auschick
Old 28-11-2008, 12:02   #9

hi britpirate,
I'm interested in your voyage. I work as a seasonal wildland firefighter, so now that it is wet and wintery, i am free for travels. Im trained in first aid and cpr, no smoke, neat and tidy, good cook, mediocre musician, all around good hand. Im willing to work hard, and looking to gain some sailing experience. I am available just before and after xmas to meet or do some shakedown sails, then available jan 10th on into march.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My father had, in my college years & into my mid-adulthood, a Pearson 365 Ketch, 45' Gulfstar Sloop.
Hi!

I just joined and saw your posts. I'm VERY interested in crewing the Bahamas, the West Coast, the Caribbean, South and Central America and especially Hawaii. I've Blue Water experience, professional firefighter/paramedic 26 years, PADI Certified, Advanced Class Ham Operator KK7XI and I speak spanish.

My wife is a Flight Attendant for Alaska Airlines to travel is nooo problem. My work schedule is very flexible too!

I am a Christian but not a jerk about it. I don't smoke but might enjoy some wine once in awhile. I have lots of integrity and I play well with others!

I'm glad to pay my way and am looking forward to being a valuable part of a Team who loves to sail, play, adventure and hard work when needed!

To quote my dad, "Life's a smorgasboard and it's no time to be on a diet!!

Dean, (253) 318-2042 Cell

(I'm the GOOD lookin' one!) Actually, this was last week, the first week in February '09 in Kona, HI aboard the Catamaran Kamanu.

Old 24-12-2009, 15:19   #11

Hello,
I am interested in joining your crew. I am 41 and own a Bristol 29.9 that I sail out of Baltimore, Maryland. I am currently in Ventura County with my seabag and ready to set sail. Please let me know if you are still looking. Thanks,

Andy
Old 24-12-2009, 16:11   #12

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
didnt this thread start in 2008

Tags
Caribbean, florida, Panama, sailboat, southern california