Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2018, 15:31   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
vesper ais watchmate 850 question on wifi

Hi
the 850 Watchmate does not offer wifi as the new vision model,the 850 specs explains
Easy interfacing to optional chart plotters and computers
I just purchased the YAKMUX,wonder if anybody has use it as bridge to a PC?
Trying to decide between these two models and will be just fine the 850 (about $300 less then the vision model)IF can use it with a tablet.
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 10:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: vesper ais watchmate 850 question on wifi

The YakMux doesn't seem to have WiFi, which is what you will need for a Tablet.

So what other devices do you have on the boat you want to connect to together. For a PC with USB ports, you can use Actisense NMEA 0183 to USB adapters, but you likely also want to interface with a VHF radio, or an MFD, or whatever else is on the boat right?

You probably need an NMEA0183 Mux AND an NMEA to WiFi converter. The YAKMUX is just one of those two. Another option would be a Digital Yacht iKommunicate plus any WiFi router. The iKommunicate will handle the NMEA MUX functions AND NMEA to Ethernet, then just connect the ethernet port to a WiFi router to get the NMEA data out to WiFi for a tablet.

Anyway, there are a variety of ways to get this done, but you should really think of the whole system.

Also, while I am a Vesper fan in general, I don't particularly like the Watchmate 850. It only has 1 NMEA output. You can get the same functionality from the Icom MA500 which has multiple NMEA outputs, so you could feed GPS data and DSC target data from the MA500 to a DSC VHF radio over NMEA0183 at 4800 speed. And still output the AIS data over NMEA0183 at 38400 speed to another device (MFD, PC, etc) without needing a MUX.
Old 23-12-2018, 11:47   #3

Hi Richard
Have the Garmin Gpsmap 942xs Display W/Gmr 18 Hd+ Radar Bundle
Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS GX 2200
Electronic Charts
Missing AIS Vesper
I believe the YAKMUX connected USB to a PC becomes a hot spot for WIFI connectivity and all gizmos plugged in using the NMEA ports are then part of the network.
If so then using the 850 NMEA conector to the YAK should? work,that is why I am still on the fence between the 850 and the new Vision (Vision offers an app to install on tablets/cell phones,NOT available for the 850)that has WIFI,as mentioned earlier is a saving of 300 that can use on other stuff.
I am not particularly gizmo oriented however having these electronics on a tablet could be interesting.
I know could integrate the AIS Vespers to the Garmin MDS but I prefer not to overcrowd the screen.
Old 23-12-2018, 12:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

You can certainly feed the data into your PC using the Yakmux USB port, and then send the data out over your Laptops WiFi network to other devices. You will need to use Kplex, or OpenCPN or something like that on the PC to take the NMEA data in and forward it over the network.

But, then the tablet won't be able to get the data unless you PC is online and running the necessary software. Personally I would want some low power black box device to do the heavy lifting and then let the PC and Tablet receive the data over WiFi whenever you want it.

Respectfully, I also think it's super valuable to have the AIS targets on your MFD. You can always disable the overlay, but seeing the targets on the chart while you are out sailing without futzing with a PC or Tablet (since you already have an MFD anyway) is pretty nice, and there is really no drawback.

The Vision2 has more than just WiFi, it also supports the MOB and anchor alarms, supports NMEA2000 also (which the WM850 doesn't), and you can touch on a target to get full information about it on screen. The WiFi on the Vision2 will also feed a tablet and a PC.

You also have a GX2200, which means you will have two AIS receivers on board. 1.) make sure absolutely that the MMSI number used in the VHF is the same as your new AIS unit. Also make sure that only one of the AIS receivers feeds your Garmin, preferably the new Vesper Vision2 (or XB8000, or XB6000) via NMEA2000 since your MFD supports NMEA2000 already.
Old 23-12-2018, 12:53   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The vesper xb8000 does all this, combining nmea0183 and 2000 and transmitting the lot over wifi. You can receive everything on your tablet, and send data back the other way to (for example) an nmea0183 autopilot from your tablet. You wouldn’t need the yakmux then.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:11   #6

thanks
agree
David
Old 24-12-2018, 09:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The vesper xb8000 does all this, combining nmea0183 and 2000 and transmitting the lot over wifi. You can receive everything on your tablet, and send data back the other way to (for example) an nmea0183 autopilot from your tablet. You wouldn’t need the yakmux then.
go for the vesper 8000. does all this plus more- awesome.
as well, the 5 inch screen is too small to see much distance.
and with the future wandering towards nema 2000 you will be ready for future upgrades.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 09:36   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post

I have my Vesper XB8000 feeding into my B&G Vulcan 7 plotter via NMEA 2000 and into my radar via NMEA 0183. From the plotter's WiFi I transmit via B&G's "Link" app to my tablet, which I can use on deck, despite the steel pilothouse. It's all pretty slick. However, if I wished, I could use the WiFi on the Vesper itself as a hotspot. https://alchemy2009.blogspot.com/201...-not-ruin.html
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 09:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

If you only want a black box AIS unit (no screen), then the XB8000 is great. If you want a screen, then the Vision2 has all of the same features as the XB8000 PLUS DSC call initiation (for compatible radios, like Icom) and a color touch screen.
Old 24-12-2018, 10:19   #10

I use a Yakker to convert NMEA to wifi in order to interface a Class B AIS to a notebook. It works great. Cost approx $90, if I recall correctly.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, wifi