Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 08:12   #1

Boat: Pearson 424
re doing electricity DC pearson 424

i am in the process of re wiring my pearson 424 and moving batteries. i plan on using a battery switch and found that the wire for the panel (pos) can either come off the common or the house battery . I am planing to use the common for the power to the panel is this right ?
also

the panel has a 25 breaker as a main breaker should i add a breaker to (pos ) connection from the common to the panel or will the 25 be ok the neg wire will come from the house battery

also should the 200 amp breaker for the battery to the switch be closer to the battery or switch
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:14   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: re doing electricity DC pearson 424

If I understand you correctly...you have a common position on the switch? One side connects the house bank, the other connects to...the starter batteries? The power supply for the distribution panel should come from the house bank and not the common position on the switch, otherwise the panel can also be fed by your starter batteries which you don't want. Best to keep them separate so you can always start.

A battery should have the main fuse straight after the battery before anything else. It then won't need another breaker/fuse before the breaker on the panel.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 14:24   #3

Re: re doing electricity DC pearson 424

This is a bit of an interesting point.
About 16 years ago i did a total refit on my 39. I did the two house bank and one start bank with a three way switch thing. Gotta have a start battery blah blah blah.
Lived aboard for 10 years, not for the last couple of years. In that entire time, 16 years, not once did any of that come to any use what so ever!
A total waste of time . energy and money.
Not once have I ever needed the start battery. For 14 years the three way switch was on both, and the start battery on.
At any time of the day I could tell you what my battery voltage would be.
My lead acid 850 amp battery bank lasted 10 years, pretty good I reckon.
I think it would have been way better had I combined all batteries for one nice big bank (which it pretty much was via switches) and kept it sweet, simple and uncomplicated. One on off switch, one battery monitor, one shunt. Solar, wind and alt input into one big bank. All loads off one big bank.
Just my experience. I dare say others will not agree, and thats ok.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, pearson