Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 13:38   #1

Boat: 1968 Coronado 25
1968 Coronado 25 Restoration

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1968 Coronado 25 that I am just starting to restore. This is my first boat so I expect it to be quite the learning experience. I'm away from the boat for a couple of weeks so i'm doing research on how to restore it. I'll post pictures when I can. I'm trying to locate where the water tanks on the boat are supposed to be and determine whether or not they're missing. So far I have been unable to locate them so I'm thinking that they may have been removed. The head has been removed, but the plumbing for it is still there and I intend to replace it as part of the restoration. If anyone here has experience with this boat I would greatly appreciate your help in this process.
Whevyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:14   #2

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: 1968 Coronado 25 Restoration

Whevyn, oh boy...u gonna have fun. I don't know your experience on boat restorations. I have just about finished my restoration so i am no expert. But man, did i learn a lot.

Seriously consider doing a composting toilet on a small boat. You do not want to mess around with raw sewage and a holding tank on such a small boat. There are many videos available on you tube on how to make your own. Or you can shell out a thousand on an Airhead, Natures Head, or a C Head.

I also want to recommend to you that you read Anne Hill's book Voyaging on a Small Income. Why? Because there is much useful information on how to think correctly and implement the correct mindset for small boat sailors. Her book is infectious.

You don't mention what shape your rig, hull, motor, or electrical are in. So much planning has to take place before you attack. What to do first...etc.

If you have alot of sanding to do on the hull. I recommend you buy a good dual action orbital. Buy your sandpaper on the internet. If you buy at the shipyard you will pay 3x the cost.

You are in for a shock at how much stuff costs for boating. Let me recommend something to you that is legal. Go down to your county seat of gov't and apply for a wholesale license. They do not cost much. Name your company something like North Bay Boat Supply. Then take that license down to your best local boat supply store. For example Svendsen's in Alameda, California is my best place to buy anything. With my wholesale license i get 30-50 percent off of the shelf price.

You need to be very clear what your objectives are. For example worrying about water tanks and your chain plates are at end of life...or at least need to be pulled and rebedded...it involves a very good assessment of what the problems are on the boat. then you have to figure out what can be done and what needs to be hired. Then you have to figure out what monies are involved and what you can afford. Spreadsheet it...as it were. Not everything has to be done at once. But get done the things that will kill you first. A bucket can suffice in place of a toilet for awhile. Peeing into a a hacked off top of a one liter coke bottle will work. A plastic trash can bag in a 5 gallon painter's pail will work if you have a B.M. But your rig come crashing down is something that can kill you or cause such a scare....well, you get it....

You can also look up on the web about designs of your boat. There is most likely a website for sailors that have your boat. In Annie Hill's book she will show you that they use water jugs of various sizes. Why? Portability, balance the boat, cost is very cheap compared to new stainless or plastic tanks...or even the collapse-able tanks. It also gets your mind set correct that water is heavy and to be conserved as a valuable resource.

Good luck. Assess, Prioritize, set agendas, and be careful with your money.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:25   #3

Boat: 1968 Coronado 25

The boat actually came with a chemical toilet so i'll probably keep that for a while. The next-to-last owner did a lot of repairs to the boat, and the status of the plumbing confused me is why I specifically asked about that. The electrical system appears to be in good shape. The mast light is not currently working and the starboard light simply wasn't there. The joints for the safety lines needs replaced because the set screws are stripped. The deck needs some minor fiber glass work and a coat of paint. One of the seats in the cockpit needs replaced because the fiberglass has a pretty big hole in it. On the interior everything needs sanded and repainted. I need to make a new table for the dinette, and all of the cushions need replaced. Besides that there are a few panels that need to be replaced to hide the wiring along the walls. Overall the boat is in really good shape compared to many I've seen.
Whevyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 15:16   #4

I'm looking for a Coronado 25 (fixed keel) mainsail. Any information that could help would be much appreciated.
Suprseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 21:50   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard! There is a lot to like about the Coronado 25. I used to have a Columbia 24 which I loved, but yours will sail a little better and will be more nimble sailing around in the marina. Yours is roomier too. I believe the water tank is under the v-berth, like mine was. I too would not plan on a head and holding tank. I think the chemical toilet on that boat is the best choice. The well for the outboard and the cut-out allowing the engine to tilt up is a very useful design. I had that on my old boat and really appreciated it. I did not have trouble with the engine coming out of the water. I would only say that don't let the perfect be the enemy of sailing time. Get her sailing as soon as you can, even if you are not done yet. The joy you'll feel from sailing her, and doing some overnighters, will remind you why you are going to all the trouble and keep you going!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration