Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 09:11   #1
cruiser

1969 Columbia 36

I am in the process of buying a sailboat to liveaboard. Since i am in Michigan i have to wait until spring to proceed with the plan. I am also taking all the classes for sailing from the American Sailing Association, 101, 103, 104, 105, 106 and 107 at GT Sailing School in Holland as soon as it warms up and the ice thaws.

The plan is to sail out of lake Michigan to the Atlantic and hug the east coast down to Florida and on to Puerto Rico my home. I plan to liveaboard there and sail around the Caribbean until i die.

I am on a budget since i am using the last of my savings to do this. I lost my business and i have decided not to start again in the rat race; i have been working since i was 8 years old and i am tired of all work and no happiness. Is time for me and the sea calls me. I grew up with fishermen in Puerto Rico until i left the island for the military, so i am coming full circle.

So now to my question.

A 1969 Columbia 36 is available for sale for $15,000. I haven't seen the boat personally or done a survey, but i have seen pictures and it looks clean, well kept and very nice inside. However, i have no experience with sailboats besides the mountain of information that i have read here and in other sites (this site is fantastic!).

I am looking for those who have had personal experience with this sailboat to provide information, data and subjective and objective criticism, positive or otherwise on this sailboat. I am not interested in Sailboat bashing and hearsay. Please tell me about your on hand personal experience and or well founded knowledge on the Columbia 36.

What are its characteristics when under sail? Does it sail straight or points straight, is it a good sailing boat? Is it a good liveaboard sailboat? Is a 40 footer better or the 36 will do for one person and in the future maybe two? ( i am old so no future children and i am divorced so i do not foresee anyone living with me, but, maybe occasionally and for short periods. How is the hull in this sailboat? Is the spade rudder keel a good thing? What kind of deck construction does it have, balsa cored? Standing rigging? Fin with rudder on skeg? Good? Bad?

Any information is appreciated...
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 13:02   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: 1969 Columbia 36

Aha! Well now you are back into a vintage where you can bet the hull is thick and has zero blisters! The sailing characteristics will be very similar to the 35 (racer/cruiser that is more racer than cruiser), but the 35 is roomier and I like that the 35 has the skeg-hung rudder (stronger.) With both boats keel bolts should be checked. Personally I prefer no keel bolts (simpler, stronger, less to worry about), but that is just me. Again I am sure there are folks over at the Columbia Yacht Owners group who can give you info. And remember, when you buy a boat you are buying an engine, make sure it is a good one because those are expensive to replace or rebuild.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 10:50   #3

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: 1969 Columbia 36

I've been living on my Columbai 36 for a couple of years. Prety comfortable for one but a little cramped for 2. She sails pretty well, reasonably straight if not all that close to the wind. If you bought one I'd love to hear from you
mbath56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia