Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2020, 00:40   #61

Re: The loss of Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.
Didn't see anyone say we don't need them or shouldn't use them, it's the your Govco confiscating boat suggestion that turns peoples stomachs, i certainly don't want to see ***** like on the agenda..........and i love AIS, work and play....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 01:18   #62

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Didn't see anyone say we don't need them or shouldn't use them, it's the your Govco confiscating boat suggestion that turns peoples stomachs, i certainly don't want to see ***** like on the agenda..........and i love AIS, work and play....
Mandatory AIS is progressing, I believe, as more and more commercial operators are required to have & use that.

But what about lights? I think using lights at night shouldn't be voluntary (as it isn't). And breaking the rules should obviously come with some negative reward for doing so, otherwise the system of rules becomes invalidated.
Old 18-01-2020, 02:02   #63

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
When the Pardeys were crossing oceans, there were a lot fewer boats out there and the overwhelming majority of them knew what they were doing. Nowadays many areas are full of idiots.

Also, somewhat pointless referring back to a time before AIS existed. It's a recent development, cheap, and a dramatic contributor to safety at sea. Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.
Yes that’s very true. There are plenty of idiots out there and I’m sure we’ve all come across our fair share of face palming morons.

I stand by AIS not being an “essential” item tho and over reliance on technology being dangerous (rather than keeping a good visual watch as well)... how many whales, containers and other floating detrius don’t show up on AIS, along with numerous fishing vessels?

The fishing boat in question had radar, 10 crew and AIS, and still managed to hit a pretty large sailboat in mid-ocean. Had there been a visual watch, the situation would likely have been avoided.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 02:14   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Mandatory AIS is progressing, I believe, as more and more commercial operators are required to have & use that.

But what about lights? I think using lights at night shouldn't be voluntary (as it isn't). And breaking the rules should obviously come with some negative reward for doing so, otherwise the system of rules becomes invalidated.
I'm well aware of the commercial requirements having used Class A on the ships i work on since its inception, i've also had a Class B on my own boats ever since they became available and agree with there use whole heartedly.....but confiscating someones boat because they don't have one or don't have it running? nah, thats some seriously draconian horsepoo.......

I agree with your thoughts on the lights, i'm definitely more concerned with the use of lights than AIS, I would much rather detect someone visually before staring into a plotter looking for an icon, there's really no reason these days for vessels operating under 1st world conditions not to have working lights.....

Old 18-01-2020, 05:16   #65
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
When the Pardeys were crossing oceans, there were a lot fewer boats out there and the overwhelming majority of them knew what they were doing. Nowadays many areas are full of idiots.

Also, somewhat pointless referring back to a time before AIS existed. It's a recent development, cheap, and a dramatic contributor to safety at sea. Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.

I have no problem with you owning and using an AIS if that’s what makes you feel comfortable. But in my experience the idiots you talk about are the ones that can’t get by without all their electronics.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 05:56   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The loss of Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I'm well aware of the commercial requirements having used Class A on the ships i work on since its inception, i've also had a Class B on my own boats ever since they became available and agree with there use whole heartedly.....but confiscating someones boat because they don't have one or don't have it running? nah, thats some seriously draconian horsepoo.......

I agree with your thoughts on the lights, i'm definitely more concerned with the use of lights than AIS, I would much rather detect someone visually before staring into a plotter looking for an icon, there's really no reason these days for vessels operating under 1st world conditions not to have working lights.....
My main reason for the AIS Transponder is to increase my visibility to others.
While tied up in Celeiro for 4 days (the fishing port) waiting for weather to improve so I could move safely to the marina we were a curiosity for the locals.. many of the fishermen claimed yacht lights were crap and hard to see in weather, to low and to weak.
Way I look at it my portable transponder improves my visibilty greatly and a good investment to help further the ability to deliver boats as safely as possible.
Most boats fitted with AIS only see.. I want to See and be Seen.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 23:10   #67

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...many of the fishermen claimed yacht lights were crap and hard to see in weather, to low and to weak.
Way I look at it my portable transponder improves my visibilty greatly...
From a large vessel this is certainly often true. And from a merchant ship a small yacht can often barely be seen at all.

So transmitting AIS will definitely help with the situation.

The other option (although perhaps not as convenient for portable use) is a radar transponder.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Obviously the AIS can transmit more data which may be useful to help the other vessel to understand your intentions.

On the other hand I'm sure there are also quite a few vessels who may in theory be receiving AIS, but is it actually being utilised properly? Eg: is the received signal being fully interfaced with the chartplotter and radar so that they can actually 'see' you?

With a radar transponder you will be visible as a 'target'. But of course this can also still be lost in clutter, poor radar adjustment, or just ignorance by the watchkeeper.

There are always 'ifs, buts, and maybes' to these scenarios.

As you said, try to See and be Seen in as many ways as possible
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 13:05   #68

Quote:
While tied up in Celeiro for 4 days (the fishing port) waiting for weather to improve so I could move safely to the marina we were a curiosity for the locals.. many of the fishermen claimed yacht lights were crap and hard to see in weather, to low and to weak.
Way I look at it my portable transponder improves my visibilty greatly and a good investment to help further the ability to deliver boats as safely as possible.
I agree with everything you say, adding AIS adds to your chances of been seen so it HAS to be a good thing. What i am getting at is those that leave there lights off, that pisses me off no end. I know recreational boat lights are low to the water and for the most part weak in there performance but they can be seen by a good watchkeep if only fleetingly, even in bad weather.

Barring a failure with the system there's no excuse not to have nav lights running, especially around other vessels/shipping, having AIS is great and i can state from a big ships perspective the more that have them the better, but i can also state a watchkeeper will feel 100% better if they have a visual of you to, even if its only a faint sporadic one....

Old 29-01-2020, 09:44   #69

Quote:
Kudos for your posts, boatman, and for sticking with the boat for the owner’s sake.

Personally I think that all vessels of any significant size (say over 10m) should be confiscated by their government if they’re found to be operating without transmitting AIS. The idea that the other fishing boats in the harbour don’t know where the best fishing spots are is just nonsense.

Would that include naval vessels? They commonly operate without AIS....
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 09:49   #70

Quote:

AIS is useless as is a radar transponder if nobody is on the bridge....... though I DO agree with you. I run headlights....... NOT daytime running lights.. on my vehicles for the same reason.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 12:56   #71

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
water police in our area also do not seem to use AIS. guess both would say they don't want the 'baddies' to know where they are...but frankly, in a peace time maritime environment, that's rubbish

cheers,
chrisr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:01   #72

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
They are already owned by 'their government'
Old 30-01-2020, 12:57   #73

Boat: Lagoon L42

….still waiting patiently for an explanation of how a collision at sea occurred with a professional delivery captain and a fishing vessel.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 13:15   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The loss of Walkabout

They were travelling in conflicting directions at the same time..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 15:31   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
….still waiting patiently for an explanation of how a collision at sea occurred with a professional delivery captain and a fishing vessel.
Fishing vessels in our area rarelyhave AIS, and very often crews are busy tending to nets and not looking forward. If they also get too busy or forget to turn on nav lights....

Short handed crews generally can't be looking forward 24/7. The fact that collisions at sea are quite unlikely can also affect watchkeeping.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass