Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2020, 01:40   #61
Sempre Avanti

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: The loss of Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.
Didn't see anyone say we don't need them or shouldn't use them, it's the your Govco confiscating boat suggestion that turns peoples stomachs, i certainly don't want to see ***** like on the agenda..........and i love AIS, work and play....

Old 18-01-2020, 02:18   #62

Boat: Hanse 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Didn't see anyone say we don't need them or shouldn't use them, it's the your Govco confiscating boat suggestion that turns peoples stomachs, i certainly don't want to see ***** like on the agenda..........and i love AIS, work and play....
Mandatory AIS is progressing, I believe, as more and more commercial operators are required to have & use that.

But what about lights? I think using lights at night shouldn't be voluntary (as it isn't). And breaking the rules should obviously come with some negative reward for doing so, otherwise the system of rules becomes invalidated.

Old 18-01-2020, 03:02   #63

Quote:
When the Pardeys were crossing oceans, there were a lot fewer boats out there and the overwhelming majority of them knew what they were doing. Nowadays many areas are full of idiots.

Also, somewhat pointless referring back to a time before AIS existed. It's a recent development, cheap, and a dramatic contributor to safety at sea. Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.
Yes thatís very true. There are plenty of idiots out there and Iím sure weíve all come across our fair share of face palming morons.

I stand by AIS not being an ďessentialĒ item tho and over reliance on technology being dangerous (rather than keeping a good visual watch as well)... how many whales, containers and other floating detrius donít show up on AIS, along with numerous fishing vessels?

The fishing boat in question had radar, 10 crew and AIS, and still managed to hit a pretty large sailboat in mid-ocean. Had there been a visual watch, the situation would likely have been avoided.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 03:14   #64
Sempre Avanti

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Mandatory AIS is progressing, I believe, as more and more commercial operators are required to have & use that.

But what about lights? I think using lights at night shouldn't be voluntary (as it isn't). And breaking the rules should obviously come with some negative reward for doing so, otherwise the system of rules becomes invalidated.
I'm well aware of the commercial requirements having used Class A on the ships i work on since its inception, i've also had a Class B on my own boats ever since they became available and agree with there use whole heartedly.....but confiscating someones boat because they don't have one or don't have it running? nah, thats some seriously draconian horsepoo.......

I agree with your thoughts on the lights, i'm definitely more concerned with the use of lights than AIS, I would much rather detect someone visually before staring into a plotter looking for an icon, there's really no reason these days for vessels operating under 1st world conditions not to have working lights.....
Old 18-01-2020, 06:16   #65
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
When the Pardeys were crossing oceans, there were a lot fewer boats out there and the overwhelming majority of them knew what they were doing. Nowadays many areas are full of idiots.

Also, somewhat pointless referring back to a time before AIS existed. It's a recent development, cheap, and a dramatic contributor to safety at sea. Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.

I have no problem with you owning and using an AIS if thatís what makes you feel comfortable. But in my experience the idiots you talk about are the ones that canít get by without all their electronics.

smj is online now   Reply With Quote