Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 11:12   #1

Advice Request: Good Starter/Learning Boat

Hello all. I am currently in the savings/planning phase of my plan to potentially move aboard and sail the seas. However, I have almost no boating experience, and am figuring out the best path to learning the required skills. I live in California (central valley), so there are plenty of classes to take - which is something I definitely plan on doing (potentially this year).

However, I was thinking it'd be a good idea to acquire a smaller vessel (say 20'-30') to keep in a fairly local slip and take on weekend/vacation trips around the West Coast and cement and practice the skills and knowledge I've learned from whatever instruction I may get. I've done some preliminary searching and there seems to be plenty of affordable boats in this range (many under $5k), but I figured I'd reach out to this helpful community and see what sage advice might be offered here.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan and, if so, what boats would fit the bill, that are reasonable quality and good for a novice to operate and maintain and cement skills? Thanks in advance!
rhequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:40   #2

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Advice Request: Good Starter/Learning Boat

better to invest is a sailing program like ASA sailing or some such. You'll get lessons in sailing and if you complete the whole program, it will include things like provisioning a sailboat for a duration. THEN start looking to buy a boat, but get some experience first so you know what you want because boat's are easy to buy, but they are much harder to sell.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:42   #3

Hello, I don't think I am a good one to replying first, but I would say go sailing on a boat whichever you like. Then you can decide you like it or not and keep going or not.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:44   #4

Thanks for the reply, Scott. That is what I was thinking. I was specifically looking at this school Santa Barbara California Instructional Sailing Vacations

I figured having a smaller boat would be good to practice with *after* taking the classes. I didn't want to absorb a bunch of info and learn new skills only to find out they're perishable and need to refresh once the time comes to heave off. I can certainly see how taking the classes first and using that knowledge and experience to buy a boat makes sense.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice Request: Good Starter/Learning Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
better to invest is a sailing program like ASA sailing or some such. You'll get lessons in sailing and if you complete the whole program, it will include things like provisioning a sailboat for a duration. THEN start looking to buy a boat, but get some experience first so you know what you want because boat's are easy to buy, but they are much harder to sell.
+1..
Also join/volunteer at a local sailing club as crew for the w/end round the cans events.. everything you can get from dinghies to cruisers.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 13:37   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

We were in roughly your position a couple of years ago. Rather than buying a boat out of the gate, we took ASA sailing classes (101 and 103) with a local sailing school and joined a Sailtime program in our area; it's a nationwide franchise, and they have a bunch of locations on the West Coast, though really any sailing club with keel boats would be similar. We've done that for the last two years to get our feet wet, supplemented with more classes in the offseason, and are likely buying our own boat this spring. Personally I found it to be a great way to enjoy the sailing part of sailing without dealing with the ownership part of sailing, though at times it was difficult to get space on the weekends. YMMV.
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:06   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

A s/h Laser, Hat or Mirror are GREAT starter boats. Inexpensive, popular, easy to store and launch and will teach you everything about sailing.

So, this is where I would start, If I were to start again.

I skipped an Opti as you may be to big for one ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:10   #8

Yeah, usually are bunches of boats in the 20-23' range dirt cheap. Good way to go and will keep you dry. You finally learn what you thought you knew when it's just you and the sea .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:14   #9

Awesome replies, everyone - thanks a ton. I'm definitely going to take some ASA classes (101 and 103 especially), but think it would be cool to get an inexpensive starter boat to explore around California and, like Cheechako said, "learn what you thought you knew" hehe Side note, I'm 6'2", so I imagine that's going to be somewhat of a challenge when I start looking
Old 29-03-2017, 08:12   #10

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhequiem View Post
Hello all. I am currently in the savings/planning phase of my plan to potentially move aboard and sail the seas. However, I have almost no boating experience, and am figuring out the best path to learning the required skills. I live in California (central valley), so there are plenty of classes to take - which is something I definitely plan on doing (potentially this year).

However, I was thinking it'd be a good idea to acquire a smaller vessel (say 20'-30') to keep in a fairly local slip and take on weekend/vacation trips around the West Coast and cement and practice the skills and knowledge I've learned from whatever instruction I may get. I've done some preliminary searching and there seems to be plenty of affordable boats in this range (many under $5k), but I figured I'd reach out to this helpful community and see what sage advice might be offered here.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan and, if so, what boats would fit the bill, that are reasonable quality and good for a novice to operate and maintain and cement skills? Thanks in advance!
fairwinds out of channel islands harbor has the best deal i've seen. they'll train you and then for a small monthly fee you can use any of their boats that you are qualified on. but you must make sure you're a "boat person" before investing in a boat. not everybody is.

as an aside, i host meetups regularly on my boat out of ventura harbor. no cost, just great people. ha. it's my boat so i judge who is and is not great people. here's a link. good luck.

https://www.meetup.com/sailingsingle...erncalifornia/
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice Request: Good Starter/Learning Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhequiem View Post
Awesome replies, everyone - thanks a ton. I'm definitely going to take some ASA classes (101 and 103 especially), but think it would be cool to get an inexpensive starter boat to explore around California and, like Cheechako said, "learn what you thought you knew" hehe Side note, I'm 6'2", so I imagine that's going to be somewhat of a challenge when I start looking
I'm 6'2" as well but have lived on 22-25ft boats with just sitting headroom below quite happily for months at a time.. a good boom tent makes a lot of difference while on the hook.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:20   #12

I would strongly consider a Catalina 27 from the 1970's. They are strongly built, and are the minimum size boat I would want to go to sea in. They are incredibly plentiful- one of the best selling cruising sailboats in the history of US boat manufacturing, and had no systemic structural issues. They even raced for many years as a cruising one design fleet.
There are many, many boats that would suit your needs, but the Catalina 27 stands out as a no-brainer.
PHRF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:33   #13

Boat: Boatless

Race...

You'll learn tons of actual boat and sail handling fast.

This along with the coursework will push you up that learning curve quick!

Oh, and a diesel course along with how to troubleshoot with a multimeter :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:49   #14

Wow, awesome info, everyone! I've got some homework and a lot of considering to do. Jrbogie - I may take you up on the meetup! I'm going to go check out fairwinds now - that sounds like an awesome idea!
Old 29-03-2017, 10:31   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Blast from the past! I lived in santa Barbara and was a member of the sailing club, albeit 20 yrs ago. for the paltry monthly dues of $15-20/month I could sail a number of the club boats with the dues going to the rental fee. they had a fleet of 16ft day sailors w/ fixed keels, no engines that were great to learn and practice on. Classes available also, I think they were ASA, enabling you to rent boats up to I think, mid-30's.

Would also second the opinion on the catalina 27. owned a 1984 which was cheap to buy $4500 and fun to sail. Big cost came in storage, slip fees = almost price of boat per yr. Began to learn about elementary boat systems on the 27 too.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, learning