Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 08:26   #16

Boat: Hunter 326, 32 ft.
Re: 27' Catalina sunk at the dock?

Let's not sugar coat the issues behind a sunken boat... unless you have a ton of money and a plan to work on the boat forever... stay away from junk. The issues created from a sunken will plague you forever. Also keep in mind that a neglected boat that you get for free or pay very little for...will cost you a lot more in the end than buying a well kept boat that is ready to sail. Spend a little more and buy a good boat and enjoy sailing....
inquestof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:17   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

60 miles away is worth a day trip to at least look at the boat. If the marina has already done work on it and the essential components are working, and the price is fair in consideration of the history, it might be worth considering.

A car from a salvage yard that has been flooded is valued at aprox 1/2 to 1/3 of the book value or less so keep that in mind.

It may have many an ongoing litany of woes that you are constantly kept busy fixing but all boats need a measure of upkeep, repairs and overall tending to.

A friend of mine bought a 30 foot custom built St Lawrence River cruiser that had sunk due to a stove in plank, boat hit a submerged large floating log. It had been under several months before being salvaged. He bought it cheap - next to nothing, about enough to cover the salvage cost. It provided excellent service until many years later it fell victim to a dry rot keel plank loosening and causing the owner to immediately beach it to preclude another deep six. Something that general good maintenance might have caught and not related to the previous submergence. So being sunk is not good but certainly not a death sentence.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:04   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

General Comment. Assuming things are not actually falling off, etc., if you really want to rewire everything, and you are ready to replace or refinish 'most everything else, pay a bit, but not much (I am thinking low hundreds, and only of you calculations of what must be done still make it worthwhile). Your dollars and sweat equity, are, unfortunately, in the end unable to bring her to a value near that of similar vessels in the same condition, but without the sinking. Marina owned is not definitive, but is a strong suggestion that she was not in great shape even before she went down. Whatever you do, do not buy without a personal and thorough inspection, finding out the cause of her sinking, and asking questions of people other than the broker and the marina management types.
Old 25-10-2016, 10:10   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

As has been mentioned, unsunk Catalina 27s are widely available for very little $$$. If it was something special, I'd think about restoration but not for a Catalina 27.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:14   #20

A guy in our dry yard bought a seized 27 Catalina from the Sheriff auction. $200 bucks. It had filled with rain water at some point. He's retired and wanted a project. He threw out everything except the spars. Everything. So two years later, and more money than a used boat, he has a beautiful boat. Customized his way.

If that appeals, go for it. I'm still looking for a good used boat.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:19   #21

I missed a free Cat 27 with inboard diesel a few years back. Owner was moving to Kansas and had to get rid of it. Unfortunately the boat was a ferry trip away and I cancelled my appointment to look at it. Next week I called and he had given it away... free. So, my point is, a Cat 27 is not much value even if it hasn't been sunk. Don't take it unless they are willing to pay you enough to make it worth your while.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:25   #22

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

There are a great many of these Catalina's for sale within a hundred miles East or West of me. Their condition varies a lot, but some of them seem to be in pretty good shape and around 8-10K. That's not asking a whole lot of money for it's size, but the age is always 25-40 years old.

The broker called back today and told me he went to find out more about it yesterday. He said the Marina owned the boat because the owner forfeited it instead of paying to have it salvaged. He still had to pay a portion of the salvage. They claim that it was only under for 1 night in brackish water and was to the bottom of the boom.

The engine on this one is an outboard that the broker said didn't appear to be present when he inspected and took pictures, and he doesn't think it was on the boat at the time of sinking.

He was quick to say, "Make an Offer". That's a trademark of a great salesman, always asking for the sale. Even if it's a fraction of the list price it's a sale. It is starting to switch from South to North here with the nights dropping into the 40's a few nights ago. It's 78 here today and absolutely beautiful.

I can imagine, even one night (If that was an honest assessment) is plenty long for every socket, wire, connector, valve, and anything else that can corrode to be damaged. Had they washed it all down the next morning as he said, it may have been too little too late. It would at the least need going through. He said an offer of half the listing price would probably take it. It's a 1982 and he said the marina has taken good care of it. He couldn't tell me if it had been hauled out or had a survey of any sort.

I tried to explain to him that there was no shortage of them, within a few years in age at rock bottom prices. I've seen them sell for less than a john boat around here.

I'm looking for something transitional, and so don't really want to sink a fortune into something I don't plan to keep for long periods of time. These are alright for light coastal cruising, but I don't know if I'd pack my family into one and go very far.

Having sunk at the dock I would have to say that the electrical system was already not working to begin with or the bilge pump would have likely kept it up. It would be interesting to know what actually happened.

I'd really already made my mind up that it was going to be a huge amount of work and more than I was willing to invest when I made the original post. I just wanted to know that the majority of people reinforced that notion.

My business is slowing for the season, so perhaps that trip up to the lakes may happen this year to bring something back down South.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:57   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A Catalina 27 is not an expensive boat to start with. The amount of work required from the water damage will far exceed the value of the boat...many times over. I presume you want to go sailing....not start a life long project.

RUN away from it.

There are many, many excellent boats out there at terrific prices, that have not sunk.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
A guy in our dry yard bought a seized 27 Catalina from the Sheriff auction. $200 bucks. It had filled with rain water at some point. He's retired and wanted a project. He threw out everything except the spars. Everything. So two years later, and more money than a used boat, he has a beautiful boat. Customized his way.
I bought a paceship 29 for $100 cdn and sailed it home. There are lots of reasons people may sell a boat for next to nothing. Being crap or sunk or junk is not a good reason for buying it though. With no disrespect, a family emergency, death, illness, financial trouble, divorce...all good reasons to sell a good boat cheap. And in fact you may be really helping out the family. its not always about the money. Boats need constant attention and have large costs of ownership attached to them.
Old 25-10-2016, 11:14   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaM View Post
Thanks for the welcome Don C L, guess you could tell it was my first post! Decided to add my 2 cents worth! Can't get enough of my Cruiser's Forum!
5 cents now! Inflation!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:29   #26

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

A C27 is pretty simple. It wouldn't take much to rip out all the wiring and fixtures and replace. The expensive part would be the panel, but if one can source the switches inexpensively it still wouldn't cost much.

Many cite "free C27s" but in what condition? Not that the condition of this sunk unit is known, but I'd rather have one with bad electrical than a waterlogged deck.

Let's say this one is in good shape, and can be had for $500. $700 for used Merc 15 2 stroke, $200 for wiring, DC fixtures and hardware store switches, and it's not a bad project.

Make sure it has sails.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:32   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
I'd been waiting to hear back from a broker for a few days and today he calls to tell me he knows little to nothing about the vessel I called about last week.

The next thing he says is that he must tell me that this vessel was sunk at the dock. It's owned by the marina and they've done a lot of work to it. He didn't say if it was before or after being sunk.

I'm thinking to myself, run. Don't look back, run. This boat is probably totally screwed up and will need everything replaced, especially wiring. The guy couldn't even say how long it was sunk, a day, week, months?

I'm wondering, because I know that I can likely ask for a much, much lower price, if anyone has had any experience with something like that. If so, I can see an engine swap, all new standing and running rigging, and a complete electrical overhaul. Am I far off the mark on this one? My gut is telling me to just keep looking and let this one go to somebody with a bigger bank account who can deal with whatever damage may be hidden. I'm in the Florida panhandle and the vessel is in Mobile, Alabama about 60 miles away.

I know without actually looking at things I will never have a clue and I am not sure that even a good survey will be able to pay for itself.
Run Forrest run. Owned by the marina that has been underwater is not worth paying for a survey unless you are loaded.JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 12:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
A C27 is pretty simple. It wouldn't take much to rip out all the wiring and fixtures and replace. The expensive part would be the panel, but if one can source the switches inexpensively it still wouldn't cost much.
Why not keep it with no wiring at all?

A few good flashlights, handheld instuments, handheld VHF, your iphone/ipad...what do you need wiring for? Really? How often would you sail at night on a C27? And with LED technology, battery operated nav lights would suffice.

The big money is in new cushions.
Old 25-10-2016, 12:14   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Why not keep it with no wiring at all?

A few good flashlights, handheld instuments, handheld VHF, your iphone/ipad...what do you need wiring for? Really? How often would you sail at night on a C27? And with LED technology, battery operated nav lights would suffice.

The big money is in new cushions.
HA! Good point! It's true. And who needs an engine, seriously... a Cat 27 is super maneuverable. Just empty it out, hose it out, and go sailing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 13:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
HA! Good point! It's true. And who needs an engine, seriously... a Cat 27 is super maneuverable. Just empty it out, hose it out, and go sailing.
Seriously, now thats a plan I can get behind. Tear out the whole interior...you'll have a clean, super fast, lightweight boat. Throw a few bean bag chairs below for relaxing, a cooler for your favorite beverage. Inflate your dinghy where the vee berth used to be...bet it would be mighty comfy. Or maybe string up a hammock below if you want to spend the night.

A small electric outboard, like a minn kota trolling motor, would be plenty to get in/out of your dock.

I'm actually starting to really like this idea...might have to look for a good "sinker" around here in the spring.

Tags
catalina, dock