Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 05:13   #1

How to sail the Bahamas?

Some guidance please. Our boat (HR 36 Mk II) draws about 6'. We like to leave from SE Florida, Ft Lauderdale as an example. Should we proceed to West End to clear in and the 15 NM north to turn east across the bank and out to Walkers Key and then proceed SE inside the barrier islands?

Or, Head to Nassau and then out to the Abacos and sail NW toward Walker and then home?

We also want to explore the Berries and all the way down to Grand Turk.

Best route for this????

We have been to West End and Walkers 20 years ago, but this trip is planned of the 2018/2019 winter and for about 3-4 month.

Standing by for some sound advice,

Chris
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 05:25   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How to sail the Bahamas?

There's no best way. I draw 6'4" and went to West End then up to Memory Rock. Get yourself some Explorer Charts and go to it.
Old 30-10-2017, 05:48   #3

Yep, get the Explorer Charts (all three books). Best Bahamas route planning tool there is.
Old 30-10-2017, 07:23   #4

if you are leaving from the gulf of mexico start your crossing further south tavernier is good . check in at bimini you can do this crossing during daylight... next do the berries and then nassau and then the exumas.. going north is easy after that .in the winter you will want to get south asap
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:49   #5

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Ft.Pierce or Lake Worth to Matanilla Shoal then to Great Sale Cay and clear in at Spanish Cay or Green Turtle. I have made this crossing half a dozen time over the past ten years. Plenty of water all the way.

Jewt
S/V Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:55   #6

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Last year, we crossed from West Palm Beach area to West End, then went north and and then east to Great Sale Cay, then around to the Abacos, down the Abacos to Eleuthra, then across (from northern Eleuthra) to New Providence. Berrys would be easy from there. We have a six foot draft also. We actually headed south from New Providence, down the Exuma chain. Liked it so much we are doing it again this year, hopefully adding a few more islands to the list.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:06   #7

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Went last year and going again next month . I leave from Ft. Lauderdale and go direct to West End to check in. Then round Memory Rock (don't take the shortcut from West End thru the nearby channel whatever anyone tells you) to Great Sail Key. As you cross the Sea of Abacos you will need to leave / re-enter at whale Cay. We draw six feet. Excellent source of information is the Manta Owners Association website (mantaowners.org/helpfulhints).
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 11:43   #8

We have gone from West Palm Beach to West End several times. We did use the channel on the way to great sale at high tide this was not a problem. It is only a slight detour to go further north and go in at memory rocks. If you feel more safe. The trip down the inside of the barrier islands is fun. Watch out for the depth of the harbor at Allen Pensacola as it is shallower than the chart show. Make sure to stop at Sandy Cay and snorkel. It is an incredible Reef to snorkel on. A trip from Little Harbor to Eleuthera is straightforward. I recommend going to Royal Island and then staying at the marina in Spanish wells.
Craig Robelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 12:04   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Skip Abaco on the way south. Do it on the way home. Early in the season the weather in Abaco is not as warm as further south. The fronts are usually colder and stronger up there. Wait until May for Abaco.

If leaving from Ft. Lauderdale ( I prefer to leave from Miami, Cape Florida), shoot over to Nassau, clear in and head south. My usual route is enter the Bank at North Rock, cross the Bank to NW Channel light and then through the Tongue of the Ocean to Nassau. Draft is not a problem.

If you pick the right window and don't stop on the way you'll get to Nassau before the wind goes to the east again.
Old 30-10-2017, 13:33   #10

Thanks for all the reply. Sound like we should go from Key West/Marathon to Bimini then east and down the chain, then in early spring turn around and do the Abacos while northbound.

Yes I will get the Explorer charts.

Thanks again.

Chris
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 18:19   #11
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
Thanks for all the reply. Sound like we should go from Key West/Marathon to Bimini then east and down the chain, then in early spring turn around and do the Abacos while northbound.

Yes I will get the Explorer charts.

Thanks again.

Chris

No need to go to Bimini. The last two years we have gone nonstop from key west to the np channel. (Right past marathon). Leave kw at 0800, hit the Bahamas bank about 0600 at south riding rocks and anchor near nw channel light that night.

Cleared in once at Morgan’s bluff the next morning, then off to exumas. The second time we cleared in the Berry’s and hung there

If you stop In Bimini you can get weathered in if the trades rebuild...

Ymmv.
Cheers
John
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 07:17   #12

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I spent this past winter in the Exumas on my boat with 6.5' of draft and had no issues. I went from Ft. Lauderdale to just north of Bimini (North Rock) and onto the Banks. Straight through overnight to Nassau via Northwest Channel (NW Channel light was not lit). That run was in calm seas and took 27 hours. From there I had easy access to Exumas and Eleuthera (although I didn't go there on this past cruise). As said above, if you're already as low as Lauderdale, there's no point in going through the Abacos at all.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 08:09   #13

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

just like vasco.......florida, Nassua, shroud cay...further south......on the way back up when you start running out of food or drink you can fill up in Marsh harbour Abacos ......good luck and enjoy...its a blast
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 08:23   #14

You can go right to Sail Rock-across the banks-Nassau etc. I sailed the Bahamas with 6-5 draft (before loading!) Heading down the Exumas just be sure to pick a "cut" with enough depth when jumping to Georgetown. IIRC that means go out before or at Rudder Cut. But double check that. Entering Victoria Harbor at G town worked fine just using the GPS coordinates given in guides.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 18:15   #15

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Abaco is like Florida in winter, except more wind with all that open water. Cold fronts push thru and it blows for days on end, then a good day with SE wind and warm sunny days,,,,,then another cold front. The other posters are correct, cross to Bimini or Berry to clear, then head south. Exuma, Eleuthera or Long Island are great places to sail and anchor out. Save Abaco for after March
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, sail