Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 06:24   #76
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Pantaenius is a Selective & Elective Joke Can someone help?

Haha sorry Phil. I should have clarified 'the insurance companies don't classify sleeping crew as solo sailing' of course on CF if your wife is sleeping below, you are pretty much in the same league as Moitessier and Slocum!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:35   #77

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Strange to hear different stories about Panty. We have insurance through them and there is no limitation to where we can take the boat (other than Haiti, Venezuela and Somalia) - definitely no issue with hurricane zones. Our deductible does increase to 10% if damage is caused by a named storm while in the defined hurricane zone during the defined time. Their hurricane zone and time definitions are the most generous we have found in any policy (they actually seem rather risky to me).

As for lightning, our policy specifically states that our deductible is waived for any damage caused by lightning. I had to call them on that because it sounded too good to be true. They confirmed this. Our only insurance claim ever had been a large one from a lightning strike.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:54   #78
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes Mark. Your policy sounds great. Our deductible for named storms rose to 25%. 10% would probably have been an acceptable risk. Another sailor told me the deductible wouldn't rise if left in a camper Nicholson approved marina, such as port Louis in Grenada, but my advice from pants was our only option was to be well south of Trinidad or pay the 25% for storm damage. Their 4 1/2 month hurricane period also appears to be the best. I'm guessing different office have different policies and agreements.
Old 15-01-2016, 06:59   #79

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

our policy has no deductible for named storms - but no coverage if of any kind (pirates) in or near somalia, Aden, Red sea, Malaga straits and coast of venezuela.

10% on lightning strikes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 04:39   #80

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS

Today I finally resolved this problem and it is out of my back!
I purchased a great policy from Liberty Mutual which covers me around the globe, liability up to 1,000,000 boat is insured for full market value etc.
I am very happy.
thank you all very much for taking the time!
Old 16-01-2016, 05:07   #81
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some marinas require 3 million liability. It might be best to avoid those.
Old 16-01-2016, 06:06   #82

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFMIAMI View Post
I purchased a great policy from Liberty Mutual which covers me around the globe, liability up to 1,000,000 boat is insured for full market value etc.
Most marinas in my area (Lake Ontario) require $2million liability. I only had $1million, so I had to change company/policy to get this...costing me an additional $350/year.

And this is in Canada, where we have free health care and nobody sues anybody. And its pretty much older, smaller boats (under 40') around here. You would have to work really hard to cause $1million in damage...you could take out a whole row of boats and you'd still have plenty money left over. Maybe if my boat exploded? Or I got stuck at WOT with no steering?

On the other hand, its $2million CANADIAN, so thats like $1.3 million USD...so maybe its about right.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:18   #83

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Today I finally resolved this problem and it is out of my back!
I am very happy.
thank you all very much for taking the time!
Good to hear. I will put Liberty Mutual on my short list if I need to replace my local insurance in the future. Keep us posted as to how it goes if you can.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:25   #84

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Did/does Liberty Mutual require an out of the water survey? Do they offer liability insurance by itself?
Old 16-01-2016, 11:30   #85

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Did/does Liberty Mutual require an out of the water survey? Do they offer liability insurance by itself?
I'll answer my own questions:

I just called them myself. The Liberty Mutual CSR I spoke with (who didn't seem knowledgeable at all) said Liberty Mutual would offer 3rd party liability insurance (with worldwide claims coverage), no survey required, but they did require I purchase their homeowner's insurance, and the boat had to be in the USA at the time/date of policy issuance.
Old 16-01-2016, 12:10   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

We used and still using Pantenius for more than 30 years for our charter fleet of 30+ boats. We were extremely happy with them particularly when it came to pay the damages. Since last year tough, we started having serious problems as they are very reluctant to pay the damages they use to pay in the past w/out even questioning.
I am hearing that there have been radical changes in their management and the new management is not as genereous as it used to be.
I should also add that their management for Europe, US or Australia are all independent from each other, thus different rules are valid for different parts of the world.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:19   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Yeloya.....which office are you using of Panty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
We used and still using Pantenius for more than 30 years for our charter fleet of 30+ boats. We were extremely happy with them particularly when it came to pay the damages. Since last year tough, we started having serious problems as they are very reluctant to pay the damages they use to pay in the past w/out even questioning.
I am hearing that there have been radical changes in their management and the new management is not as genereous as it used to be.
I should also add that their management for Europe, US or Australia are all independent from each other, thus different rules are valid for different parts of the world.

Cheers

Yeloya
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:31   #88

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For a fully comprehensive insurance with Pantaenius UK one needs a full survey including in my case a hull thickness test.. then the named person has to provide qualifications appropriate for the proposed areas of navigation..
USA I believe has more rich folk so the minimum is higher.. keep the trailer trash like me out..
If you just go for 3rd Party likely you'll get it..

PS; I am insured with Pantaenius.. best out there.
I am too insure by Pantaenius. Basically they still believe that premiums have to do with risk and instead of having general policies with similar prices they differentiate risks and make everybody paying according potential risk.

Bad for the ones that sail in more risky areas, with older boats (unless surveyed) and have lesser sailing qualifications. Better for the others.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:53   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

If this were correct can you explain my situation? I am a CASA and RYA Ocean Master, my cat was four years old, had been just the year before surveyed, and was owned by ourselves since new. The incident happened on the hard in Turkey.
My belief, which appears to be borne out by other postings is that the different offices operate in various ways with their own 'nuances'.
I have heard of varying levels of good service from Panty and some stories that are shocking. My own experience was not good and when I escalated it to the German H.O. office they ran for the trenches - they simply deferred everything back to the Monaco office. Not helpful and not anything like the customer service they should have provided. That was enough for me to avoid them ever since - shirking their responsibilities is not not acceptable. For those in less fortunate position than myself the events could have had even more consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I am too insure by Pantaenius. Basically they still believe that premiums have to do with risk and instead of having general policies with similar prices they differentiate risks and make everybody paying according potential risk.

Bad for the ones that sail in more risky areas, with older boats (unless surveyed) and have lesser sailing qualifications. Better for the others.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 18:16   #90

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS

yes, I understand it!
but I got the umbrella from them as well and that gives a $2,000,000 in addition to the Vessel $2,000,000...

Tags
morgan