Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 05:07   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
Volunteer crew wanted, 42 Sloop from FL heading to Cape Cod mid May.

Volunteer crew wanted for passage from Fort Lauderdale FL heading to Cape Cod mid May on a 43' Sloop with experienced Captain.

(The Passage) This delivery will be departing from Fort Lauderdale FL within a few days or as soon as possible after May13th. I will be arriving a few days earlier to prepare the boat and our intention is to sail offshore as far and long as we have favorable weather. While it may be possible to make the entire 1200 mile passage non-stop within 10 to 12 days it is more likely we will divert into the Inter Coastal Waterway for at least some parts of the journey north If not only for weather but also for fuel or water as needed. We are on a loose schedule so we may wait at times for favorable weather windows and I am estimating the entire delivery to take 2 to 3 weeks so crew would need to be somewhat flexible with their schedule.
(The Boat) A Well equipped and recently surveyed 2004 Jeaneau 43DS. This sloop has a 75HP yanmar and New 6-man life-raft and Epirb last just year in addition to AIS, Autopilot, Generator, etc…

(The Captain) USCG Licensed 100 Ton Master and has completed a solo circumnavigation on a 30ft Sloop in 2013. Since then I have completed about 30,000nm of offshore deliveries and sailing instruction, recent CV and blogsite available here; http://www.sailingsalsa.com/sailboat-deliveries-2. The First mate I am likely to have on board is also a very experienced sailor and has completed a circumnavigation as well.

(The Arrangement) This boat is being relocated for it’s owner to Provincetown, MA from it’s winter location in Florida. Volunteer crew are expected to get themselves to and from the vessel at their own expense however on-board passage-related expenses, fuel, marina fees, provisioning will be covered by the owner. This is NOT a shared-expense trip nor a paid position. Volunteer crew help with all aspects of the passage including watch-keeping underway and sometimes at night, navigating, checking weather, sail-handling, cooking cleaning, repairs etc. What you don’t know you will be taught. This is an opportunity for people to gain miles and experience probably both offshore and inland under power and sail with the safety of an experienced captain on a surveyed vessel.

(The Requirements for the crew) I will give some preference to those who can assure me you do not get (very) sea-sick / motion sickness. When contacting me please post a short message here and also PM or email me (sailinginquiry at outlook dot com) and INCLUDE YOUR CONTACT INFO; email and phone number. I will be considering all people who respond however you should know some sailing basics. Any other experience or skills that you might posses that could be useful at sea (engineers, medical professionals, mechanics, cooks etc,) should be mentioned.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
-Captain Kirk Little
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rons boat.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	147280  
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Volunteer crew wanted, 42 Sloop from FL heading to Cape Cod mid May.

Howdy Captain Kirk!

I am available now to assist you as Experienced Crew for your voyage.

I am an experienced, mature, well trained, and knowledgeable sailor. I am available on short notice when needed. I can be in any of 60 global ports in as little as 24 hours.

My focus for ALL of 2017 is to crew on long voyages for owners and professional yacht deliveries too. I am available for Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Mediterranean, ICW, or PNW deliveries or cruising or passage assistance. Some easy conditions apply, which I will be glad to explain in a phone or Skype call.

I have some brief information on my CF Profile "About Me" page here: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Steady Hand

I also have much more detailed and extensive information about me in my off-forum but still online Sailing Credentials (on my own website), including hundreds of Verbatim Testimonial Comments about my character, honesty, trustworthiness, helpfulness, various skills, and personality. My online Sailing Credentials will give you a very good overview of who I am and how I would work to help you as Experienced Crew and what I would be like to have aboard for a long voyage with you.

I will send you a Private Message which will include a link to my Sailing Credentials and multiple ways for you to contact me off the forum, including my current phone number, email, Skype, etc.

If I don't hear back from you, I will assume you have found crew and I wish you a safe and happy voyage.

In any case, please keep my contact information and keep me in mind for future needs you have for crew. As I mentioned earlier, I will be available during ALL of 2017 for crew opportunities, anywhere.

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:59   #3

So let me understand you are moving the boat for the owner as a paid position I think period and you were not willing to pay Transportation cost for a free crew which is actually quite customary ,good luck
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:04   #4

I am an experienced sailor and I am available during this time frame. Contact me @ 603-203-1561
Gchase49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:53   #5

Greetings Captain. Wondering if you have found a full crew yet?
JESSinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:18   #6

Unfortunately I can't join the crew for this passage. I live on the Cape and would be available to crew for the owner. If you are the owner and are monitoring these posts please contact me if you need crew.
Joe

joeicnet@aol.com
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37   #7

I have to say, I am disappointed to see a request for crew that does not include transportation. A lot of use don't mind volunteering but to not pay the way to and from is just not acceptable. I live right at Port Canaveral so it wouldn't be a big deal to be picked up here but I simply don't have funds for a plane ticket. I have been doing this a long time and have never accepted a cruise without transportation. I would love that trip but it is out of the question.
wordsmithereen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42   #8

Boat: Boatless

(I don't think luck is going to be a problem) :-)

Well written advert, fair trade if one wants the experience. I worked for free for 4 weeks before getting hired on as a relief ferry captain. When I approached them there was "no relief captain position" so I made one.

Sometimes not thinking about what others are making and focusing on YOUR goal is the path to YOUR success.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:02   #9

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Sounds awfully bootstrapy to me can't have that. Doesn't fit into the box.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:13   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Paid captain wants free crew. No transportation paid. Two to three week trip mostly off shore. I'm really curious about what kind of person finds that an attractive offer.
Does the owner or captain carry insurance covering the crew or is that why it has to be volunteer?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18   #11

I have been doing this off and on for many years and this just isn't right. I have done the passage thing as crew and even for the experience on some boats, but I know boats well, and have spent more than a mile on the water, and I think my experience is worth some compensation and although I have seen this a couple of times, I wouldn't touch this. Why is there no money for transportation? It just gives me a very uneasy feeling when someone can't or won't provide transportation.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:28   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
I'm really curious about what kind of person finds that an attractive offer.
After reading the advertisement I wanted to go. Unfortunately doing a delivery of my own boat during that time frame.

I haven't done any digging other than reading the initial advertisement (which I would do before sailing off shore with anyone) but everything is explained clearly and concise. I see this as a great opportunity for someone with some experience but not a lot off shore to get that experience with 2 crew that have already been there. For me the return ticket back would be worth the $$ (I paid for my transportation on my first delivery to get the experience as well).

I understand how a professional delivery crew wouldn't want to do this job. But for someone that has a day job (so this is a vacation break and paid for) that wants experience it seems like it would be a great trip.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:36   #13

I am sure the trip would be good, but this is highly irregular. There are a lot of people like me that would make the trip without pay, but I require transportation costs to be paid. No matter if you are professional or not you are still giving a service and not really the other way around since you will be working. I understand getting the hours is important but not at the expense of having to pay to work, and that is what this would be. Like I said, I have seen this in the past but I simply would not trust someone that can't cover the crew. That makes me really uneasy.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:53   #14
cruiser

I personally see nothing wrong with this. At this point, I don't have a boat, but would still like the experience. I can pay someone to charter a boat or take a class, so I would look at a plane ticket as the fee for taking this class in real world experience.

Understand fully that this arrangement wouldn't be for everyone, but for those of us that have limited experience on sailboats, it is a great opportunity.
MNGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:03   #15

I can appreciate you stance, but many captains, including myself prefer to have experienced crew, etc. If I am there, I am there for the cruise, but by standing watch, cleaning, cooking and many times helming, I figure I am earning transportation costs.

Good luck.

Tags
cape cod, crew, crew wanted, head, sloop, wanted