Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:56   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Jeanneau 349 opinions? What are people saying?

Thanks. J42DS is a great boat.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34   #17

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS

If the deal on my 44DS hadn't gone through, I was looking at one of those. Could've gotten for about $200-210k. It truly is a buyers market right now!
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 16:37   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 349

For those interested to learn more about the Jeanneau 349, here are two great sites.

A web site entirely dedicated to the Jeanneau 349
Jeanneau 349

Jeanneau 349 Owners Forum
Jeanneau 349 Owners Forum

Enjoy!

Thierry
telecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:05   #19

Fast forward 9 months: third time at Annapolis and I am thrilled to say I bought the Jeanneau 349! Dealer's demo, my guess was correct on price. It is a buyer's market still.
Old 24-11-2015, 03:02   #20

Boat: Comet 41s

Congratulations! That is a great little boat, one that is much bigger than its size without looking badly or handicapping the sail performance. For managing that great design skills are needed and the designer, Marc Lombard is one of the best
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:09   #21

Boat: O38 & J24

RKsailsolo....How do you like the jib/genoa 'floating eye' system and does it make a noticeable difference in trimming/shaping the sail? I've seen these on the Volvo race boats but just saw one on a 349 (the boat is beautiful) while out sailing. Pls advise.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 07:23   #22

Jeanneau 349 opinions? What are people saying?

I've only done the demo sail so don't have first hand experience yet but everything I've read suggests it to be a very efficient method of handling the loads and optimizing the sail. No jib cars to move, it's all through the rings. I did notice how easy tacking is with the rings offering little resistance you can manually sheet through the turn to almost 90%, then just winch in the rest of the way.
http://youtu.be/3tJV-RjPfYw
Jeanneau's technical director explains the friction rings
http://youtu.be/2BWownHcdQs

I also think it is quite a handsome design. If I can't get an Oceanis 38, this is the one I wanted. The 349 vs Oceanis 35 is a lighter, longer and less beamy boat with almost the same cockpit and interior volume. One thing that can't be beat is the head and separate shower. And no sail drive is a plus.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:06   #23
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I downloaded the manual last evening and reviewed it. I think its a very nice boat and wish you all the best with it. I would like to know more about the "lifting keel" and what kind of keel is on your boat.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:09   #24

Congrats....

Don't forget to drop by over here Jeanneau Owners Network - the best independant resource for Jeanneau Yachts and Boats worldwide
Old 29-11-2015, 08:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I downloaded the manual last evening and reviewed it. I think its a very nice boat and wish you all the best with it. I would like to know more about the "lifting keel" and what kind of keel is on your boat.

Thanks. My boat has the shoal keel. Perfect as I will use it for coastal hops on east and west coasts of Florida. Here's more about technical aspects of the three keel options on the 349. http://interestingsailboats.blogspot...e-with-by.html
Old 29-11-2015, 08:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

Thanks Hoppy. I discovered that site and have since gained great insight from the related 349 forum. A rich resource.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:31   #27
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

According to the opinions on the site, the swing keel version is not designed to be beached although you can do it with some care. The opinion is that a small number of boats out there are designed for beaching like an RM with twin keels or those alum Ovnis with centreboard.. The other note is that the swing keel is not designed to be swung up and sailed, for example to reduce drag. The weight makes the boat imbalanced. I'm not sure how that would reduce drag anyway since the same surface is exposed. The benefit of a swing is to get closer to shore an anchor in tight spots.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 05:36   #28

Jeanneau 349 opinions? What are people saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
According to the opinions on the site, the swing keel version is not designed to be beached although you can do it with some care. The opinion is that a small number of boats out there are designed for beaching like an RM with twin keels or those alum Ovnis with centreboard.. The other note is that the swing keel is not designed to be swung up and sailed, for example to reduce drag. The weight makes the boat imbalanced. I'm not sure how that would reduce drag anyway since the same surface is exposed. The benefit of a swing is to get closer to shore an anchor in tight spots.

All good points. Drying out with the swing keel certainly appears to carry risk. Check out the Mojito 8.88 which has beaching legs integral to its design. You can see them in this video slanting down as a five inch diameter aluminum pole. http://youtu.be/wdoLx8ODZpw

My experience with my present boat, Hunter 216 with 500 lb. swing keel, has taught that I can swing that keel right up in a downwind course and reduce drag, although it affects boat balance. I'd say that would also apply and be more amplified in bigger boats with more sail area as well. Thinking about the drag reduction further, that 349 swing foil length is such that if you tucked it right up into the hull, you would get a significant hydrodynamic hiding spot for its length. On my Hunter 216 w ith swing keel up I have sailed into the wind for short distance. Although it crabs a lot, it is a practical method to nudge right up to a sandy shore.

One negative aspect of swing keels though is the stress on the boat and the mechanism. They take a pounding and it's all reliant on a well engineered and well maintained single pivot point. That fact has always bugged me. For my sailing purposes, that is why the shoal keel config of my 349 satisfies me. No more worries about what happens if the keel drops off or fails to move at the worst time.
Old 30-11-2015, 06:08   #29

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I believe there is always a little worry able keels falling off or rudders failing. Either are catastrophic if they fail.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:26   #30

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
One negative aspect of swing keels though is the stress on the boat and the mechanism. They take a pounding and it's all reliant on a well engineered and well maintained single pivot point. That fact has always bugged me. For my sailing purposes, that is why the shoal keel config of my 349 satisfies me. No more worries about what happens if the keel drops off or fails to move at the worst time.
If you are talking about modern swing keel with all the ballast on it, like the one on the SO 349, Pogo, RM and many other boats I don't think you will have any problem in what regards them "taking a pounding" since they are blocked in its downward position.

The disadvantages regarding a deep keel are a superior cost and a superior maintenance. I would love to have one but I don't know if I would buy a boat with one due to those two factors, since on the places I sail draft is not really a problem. They certainly make a lot of sense in places with huge tidal variation.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau