Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 15:40   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: My first boat ... a Jeanneau 50?

The power in a 50 footer can be a bit scary, especially if it's your first boat. But I don't really see a problem with jumping in at the deep end. It depends on the jumper's personality. Some basic courses would be helpful. Some folks take to sailing, some don't.

What concerns me is why is the OP doing this all of a sudden. No sailing experience. Maybe he's been reading Cruising World. It's quite a leap if you come to the realization in a month or two that you really don't like sailing.
Old 14-01-2014, 16:05   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

As to the cost as an initial rule of thumb I've found that 25% of the good condition value of the boat is a rough first aproximation.

This is basically for a boat sitting in a modest marina and doing most of your own maintenace, but considers depreciation, loss of investement income, maintenance etc. Insurance, professional crew, professional repairs and the like may add to this.

While buying something that big as an initial purchase is certainly doable there is a strong argument that a first boat about the size of a modest trailer sailer may be more realistic.

Seagulls love an unattended boat, but paying a boat buck a week to keep them happy is beyond my understanding. That said my pet eagle is currently probably spreading fish bones all over Boracay.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 16:53   #18

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Get some sailing courses first
Then start chartering sailboats
Start with something smaller than a 50
You dońt need a Coast gard license, you need experience
Have fun
Yeah...What he said.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 17:17   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I'd start with the 50 footer. New if possible.
Life is too short to ramp it up over five years.

If you can fly a plane you have a distinct advantage over an landlubber desk worker. Someone who gave the 172 analogy forgets that you're only in the 172 for ten hours then you are moving up. You can do your courses and get some sail time while you're waitng for your boat to be built.
Btw, training is similar to flying as well, all types of different schools. Im sure therll be some where you take two weeks off, go to sea, and come back knowing the bulk of what you need to know... Except for the experience of long years and owning your own boat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 00:07   #20

Sailing is very much like flying in that you don't learn much in 10 hours and it takes thousands of hours to get really good at what you are doing. You can get by with hundreds of hours and be safe but its continual learning exactly like flying. There is no reason that you can't learn to sail a 50 footer from the get go and be safe but there is a reason why most of the worlds greatest racing sailors started on dingys.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 05:02   #21

[QUOTE=robert sailor;1440731but there is a reason why most of the worlds greatest racing sailors started on dingys.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's because a 50 footer is out of the budget of the average 12 year old
Old 15-01-2014, 05:47   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Yes, it's because a 50 footer is out of the budget of the average 12 year old
And, even if daddy has a budget for Jeanneau 50, it is hardly racing boat
Buy this thing, if You can afford it, hire good instructor and have a lot of fun.
It is good boat really
If in some doubt, take a course, do skippered charter, next bare boat charter and next decide if it is still appealing to You.
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:19   #23

Yes thats exactly my point thank you. When you start sailing at 12 by the time your 20 something you really know what your doing because you have thousands of hours of learning.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:39   #24

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Assuming money is no object, I would think the primary question would be, "what is the biggest boat you are comfortable single-handing around a crowded marina, in and out of a slip, to pick up a mooring or set an anchor, motor and tie up to the fuel dock and pump out station, and of course, sail" otherwise unless you have crew available anytime you want to go out, the boat will sit in it's slip.

Jeanneau 50 is a beautiful boat but would be too big for me...just my 2 cents.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:43   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well Cowboyz,

You've had a lot of support for "just do it." I belong to a somewhat more cautious school. I'd suggest sailing lessons first, on a boat about that size. Then a charter somewhere where you skipper the vessel, but take some tools so you can fix something for yourself. See if you really enjoy the experience. The sailiing part can be quite fun, if you happen to enjoy it.

A substantial number of folks each year seem to bite off more than they can comfortably chew. The more systems the vessel has, the more need maintenance, and some people are just not suited to doing it for themselves. That in turn leads to a lot of dissatisfied down time, and results in disappointment all around. The initial purchase is the beginning of a process, which will involve fitting it out before it will be cruise ready (often there is upgrading to do).

Ann

I have been cruising with my husband Jim, since March of '89; it is this experience which informs my opinion.
Old 19-01-2014, 21:37   #26

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am very grateful for the information. I have taken a couple of sailing lessons albeit five years or so ago, but on a lake. I have been in 10-12 foot seas, but on my way out to scuba dive the Keys, and YES I did get sea sick. I've sailed a few hobie cats as well. This is not a new fantasy for me, but rather something that has been brewing in my mind for three decades. I didn't think I'd be middle aged and single, but here I am and I intend to enjoy myself FULLY.

My primary reasons for wanting the Jeanneau was ease of sailing single handed. Also, for a new sailor, an old boat with a ton of maintenance issues is not my idea of fun. I have owned enough old cars in my lifetime to know that I'd rather pay a note and drive new than to have to fadangle a car to life, then go drive it. I've had cars with chokes, carbs, manual trans in stop and go traffic, as many of you have I'm certain, but I'd rather have fuel injection, and an automatic with all the bells and whistles.

I do have a friend who is going to help me. He races boats, and has done several crossings. I'm going to keep the boat in his town as I have ZERO desire to put the boat here on a lake. That's like being on a leash. He is also an expert mechanic, so If I go with an older boat, he gets to use the boat for free as long as he keeps it maintained, so I may go with an older boat.

My first year of real sailing will be in and around south east Florida near my friend. That is a beautiful thing about being a pilot, you fly free, so I will go down every week. Most of my sailing will be coastal sailing, and the great lakes a few days at a time, then heading to work, then back to the boat. I have budgeted $5K annually for marina fees, and I hope that is enough.

As a pilot, I'm afraid of weather. Heavy weather that is. I avoid it, don't take off in the bad stuff, or divert to another airport if we can't wait it out. Summers in the southeast produces 'pop-up' storms all the time. They are usually isolated, but no big deal. I'm afraid that many of the weather avoidance tactics employed in a fast moving jet will be no good at sea, and I don't want to be caught out. I know it's going to happen one day and I look forward to it ... I will set up my go cam above the companionway, and I guess I can feel free to poop my pants as it will get washed overboard anyway ...

I'm not afraid of maneuvering a 50 foot boat. I'll just go a little slower in reverse as I back into a slip.

I could go on more, and you have ALL been very helpful.
Southerncowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 00:29   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerncowboyz View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am very grateful for the information. I have taken a couple of sailing lessons albeit five years or so ago, but on a lake. I have been in 10-12 foot seas, but on my way out to scuba dive the Keys, and YES I did get sea sick. I've sailed a few hobie cats as well. This is not a new fantasy for me, but rather something that has been brewing in my mind for three decades. I didn't think I'd be middle aged and single, but here I am and I intend to enjoy myself FULLY.

My primary reasons for wanting the Jeanneau was ease of sailing single handed. Also, for a new sailor, an old boat with a ton of maintenance issues is not my idea of fun. I have owned enough old cars in my lifetime to know that I'd rather pay a note and drive new than to have to fadangle a car to life, then go drive it. I've had cars with chokes, carbs, manual trans in stop and go traffic, as many of you have I'm certain, but I'd rather have fuel injection, and an automatic with all the bells and whistles.

I do have a friend who is going to help me. He races boats, and has done several crossings. I'm going to keep the boat in his town as I have ZERO desire to put the boat here on a lake. That's like being on a leash. He is also an expert mechanic, so If I go with an older boat, he gets to use the boat for free as long as he keeps it maintained, so I may go with an older boat.

My first year of real sailing will be in and around south east Florida near my friend. That is a beautiful thing about being a pilot, you fly free, so I will go down every week. Most of my sailing will be coastal sailing, and the great lakes a few days at a time, then heading to work, then back to the boat. I have budgeted $5K annually for marina fees, and I hope that is enough.

As a pilot, I'm afraid of weather. Heavy weather that is. I avoid it, don't take off in the bad stuff, or divert to another airport if we can't wait it out. Summers in the southeast produces 'pop-up' storms all the time. They are usually isolated, but no big deal. I'm afraid that many of the weather avoidance tactics employed in a fast moving jet will be no good at sea, and I don't want to be caught out. I know it's going to happen one day and I look forward to it ... I will set up my go cam above the companionway, and I guess I can feel free to poop my pants as it will get washed overboard anyway ...

I'm not afraid of maneuvering a 50 foot boat. I'll just go a little slower in reverse as I back into a slip.

I could go on more, and you have ALL been very helpful.
Well, you are not alone when you say you are afraid of weather. In reality, don't be afraid of wind. Wind in and of itself won't harm you. Waves are the big problem (wind and waves usually occur together).

No matter how careful you are - eventually you will be caught off-shore in a gale or squall. Make sure you have sea room, reef the hell out of the boat and run with it.

I still think you will be surprised re: the difficulty in single-handing a 50 footer. I have a 40 footer (also Jeanneau) rigged for single-handing and it is a challenge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 02:27   #28

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Hello all,

This is my first post as a member. I want to purchase a Jeanneau 50. I can afford the boat, but I'm clueless as to what the real cost is for a boat that size. I have basically zero boat experience. I fly jets for a living, so some of that translates well. I was already denied coverage by one company. I plan on getting my Coast Guard's license. I believe that will help. With basically no boat owner ship history, will I be able to find coverage? I have a few other questions.

1. How often do sails need to be replaced? Is the in-mast a huge advantage?
2. Steel or composite or glass?
3. How often does the boat need to be lifted and painted?
4. I plan on cruising both coasts. What type of a budget should I plan for expenses other than provisions and slip fees?
5. The boat will stay at the Marina while I go back and forth to work, so what kind of concerns should I have for a boat being unattended for extended periods.
6. What type of security systems are out there?
7. What is the preferred method of communication? HF, satellite when making a crossing or being out of sight of land. I know this is a lot, but any help is appreciated.

I have a ton more questions ... I know I should probably take a course prior to getting the captain's license. As you can all tell, I'm totally clueless. I have only sailed on other people's boats a few times.

Joe

PS I've had a few to drink, so please forgive my lack of sentence structure and all errors.

Ignore entire post #1. Get something smaller around 30 - 34 feet.

Practice sailing a lot. Practice fixing stuff a lot. Go bigger after 5 or so years with smaller boat.

Over and out.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:21   #29

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Come on,people. Everyone is different. Live your dream. Don't listen to the dock warriors. Get insurance,hire a capt. or get a friend to help, go learn on YOUR boat, and enjoy the life you were granted. Why worry about all the "what-if's"' get your ducks in a row and go! Oh yeah, you plan on doing all the above! Have fun, enjoy, and hope to see you soon. Bob
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:47   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Hello all,

This is my first post as a member. I want to purchase a Jeanneau 50. I can afford the boat, but I'm clueless as to what the real cost is for a boat that size. I have basically zero boat experience. I fly jets for a living, so some of that translates well. I was already denied coverage by one company. I plan on getting my Coast Guard's license. I believe that will help. With basically no boat owner ship history, will I be able to find coverage? I have a few other questions.

1. How often do sails need to be replaced? Is the in-mast a huge advantage?
2. Steel or composite or glass?
3. How often does the boat need to be lifted and painted?
4. I plan on cruising both coasts. What type of a budget should I plan for expenses other than provisions and slip fees?
5. The boat will stay at the Marina while I go back and forth to work, so what kind of concerns should I have for a boat being unattended for extended periods.
6. What type of security systems are out there?
7. What is the preferred method of communication? HF, satellite when making a crossing or being out of sight of land. I know this is a lot, but any help is appreciated.

I have a ton more questions ... I know I should probably take a course prior to getting the captain's license. As you can all tell, I'm totally clueless. I have only sailed on other people's boats a few times.

Joe

PS I've had a few to drink, so please forgive my lack of sentence structure and all errors.
not sure why you want a 50' BUT saying that our 1st boat and only boat is a 40' jeanneau -- we got it new in 2003 and sold up and sailed out over 6 years ago -- 50' is a lot of boat and not sure where you are headed but watch the draft -- we draft 5' and love it

like you we had never sailed until dec 2000 -- we lived in miami so could sail biscayne bay a lot and learned to sail a bit - we have done the east coast a couple of times and spent time learning what our boat needed before we really set out and once we did that have not been back -- did the western carib, eastern carib and this past may the 2 of us sailed across the atlantic to the med and now in tunisia for the winter

we have in mast and love it --
we have an ssb and i have my ham - use it for email, wx and comm
as for cost data i put 5 years worth out there in this forum at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-118781.html

security - we do not have a lot
marina -- depends on the marina and how well they look after the boats there

as we made more mistakes than most and are still going at it pm me with questions and i will attempt to help --

as info there are more than one fireplace sitters on this board so sift well ===

good luck and by the way we love our Jeanneau -- she has taken good care of us -- but back to the lenght - if i had to do it all over for the 2 of us would do a 44 maybe - as long as the draft stays at that 5'

good luck and anything we can do for you pm us
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau