Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 13:33   #1

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Dual Rigging?

My Mac 26S has rather thin rigging lines, I guess to keep the weight down, but it seems to me that this also lowers the strength of it quit significantly.

Would it be wise to replace this with some stronger cable, or even to add a second thin line as a backup, with little or no pressure on it? That way if the original line snapped, the new line would hold it, save the day as it where, and that original line replaced with no drama, damages or injuries.

Does anyone ever duplicate critical rigging lines?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:44   #2

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Dual Rigging?

If you are talking about the standing rigging, those wires that hold the mast up, then you can assume the builder used appropriate sizes and so long as it is in good condition, you are fine.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:48   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Look at the working load of the cable you have and compare with the weight of the boat. The M model of Macs (if i remember correctly) the cable working loads could lift almost twice the entire boat weight, and working loads are less than breaking loads. Having the additional weight aloft with a light boat will be far more detrimental. Make sure your cable, terminals and chain plates are all in good order and don't worry about it again, seriously.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 19:37   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Masts and rigging are designed as a system. Generally they are set up to break before they do damage to the hull. If you beef up the rigging, it may pull the deck off the hull before it breaks. Is this what you want? Unless a previous owner replaced the rigging with something that IS too small, it should probably be kept at the existing size.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging