Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 20:49   #1

Sailing Croatia

Has anyone sailed in Croatia recently? I am considering bareboating out of Dubruvnik in September (rather than hotel, bus, car thing). Can you offer input on reputable charter outfits, marinas, islands, must see spots, etc. Any good/bad experiences, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Todd Frye
Todd Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 21:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out these sites:
http://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/sailing/
http://charter.croatia1.com/sailadriatic-en.htm
http://www.hr/hrvatska/navigational/Regulations.html
http://www.hr/hrvatska/navigational/Harbours.html
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Croatia

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 00:58   #3

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
Oh, how much time do you have...

I have sailed the Croatian shore from N to S and back, visited just about all the bigger islands, so if you want more detailed info send me an email, some recommendations would depend on your personal preferences and cdertainly time-frame. With September you chose a great time.

I have a website which is focused more on the Northern and Central Adriatic: www.croatiaunplugged.com

A few tips on the area around Dubrovnik:

Start in "Komolac" Marina, approx. 2 miles up the river. The ACI group of Marinas is all over CRO, while one could offer many points of critique: there is some standard. Some smaller private "marinas" are in Dubrovnik's harbor "Gruz", all very choppy as Gruz is a busy commercial port. Busses run frequently and from the Marina to downtown Dubrovnik, an absolute "must see".

You should visit the island of Mljet, in my opinion the prettiest of all 1185 Croatian islands. The cove "Okuklje" in the southeast of the island is a safe and beautiful place to stay, watch for the uncharted rock on starbord when entering the cove, take the walk up to the little church, restaurant "Maran" offers reasonable prices and free moorings (the charges are imposed by the Croatian authorities, not by the owner).

On the northern tip of Mljet is the town and cove of "Polace", a fairly small but beautiful area, difficult anchoring (deep water, rock) but the town of Polace offers some moorings. Just around the northern tip of Mlijet you'll find "Soline", a very popular spot, so entry is partially prohibited and fees are being charged as it is considered a National Park, I prefer Polace.

If your time allows move on to Korcula, island and town, alledgedly birth-place of Marco Polo, many british tourists, you'll have no language barrier, nice town, ACI Marina, a bit tricky wind conditions "jet-effect" between Korcula and Peljesac.

Familiarize yourself with the med-style of docking, stern to with mooring-lines to the bow. One word of caution: the Adriatic is perhaps the most underestimated body of water; weather conditions can change instantly, the Bora (local wind phenomenon) has capsized more than one yacht, even after 40 years I ALWAYS speak to local fishermen before anchoring outside any marina. Take on enough water from the main-land, on the islands (including marinas) water is usually limited. You'll find all supplies (food, diesel) in any, even smaller towns on the main-land and all bigger towns on the islands.

This already became longer than it should have, sorry...
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 21:49   #4

Re: Sailing Croatia

Are there any good anchoring spots around Dubrovnik?
Rodney 1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:35   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Marinea Yachting ? Welcome on board ? Yacht charter in Croatia, Greece and Turkey and see also Adriatic Croatia International Club | ACI Marinas
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 05:30   #6

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

We chartered out of Split last summer, through a Canadian company called Poseidon Charters out of Montreal. For the technical aspects, they were great... quick with quotes, easy to deal with, lots of information about how to get to the boat, who to talk to, when to arrive .. that sort of thing.

Dunno about the waters around Dubrovnik, but ...

-- while there are marinas on many of the large islands, they are not cheap. You are probably going to anchor out more than not. (We never used a marina.) Word of caution ... the islands tend to be very steep to. You can be 60 metres from shore in 40 metres of water; if the wind shifts you can quickly find yourself on a lee shore with lots of scope to hit it. Never did, but it was close once.
-- Many of the anchorages will have mooring balls laid, especially if there is a nearby town. Grab one and in a little while a boat will come out to collect a few bucks for rental, which often goes to support local sports teams (or so I'm told). Makes for calmer sleep than anchoring, in my view.
-- Pay close attention to weather forecasts. Because we had the VHF on, we heard a warning that a Bora was coming and we just missed getting hit by it while at anchor; shifted to a mooring ball about 40 minutes before it started, with winds that clocked up to 45 knots. If we had stayed on the hook, we'd have had an adventure for sure.
-- The islands (around Split, anyway) are stunning, the sailing is great, the people are pretty nice, supplies are relatively inexpensive, good quality, and easy to find (especially the liquid kind).

We had a Beneteau 34, which had a few small problems, but nothing major. The main safety issue was that we had four PFDs for four people -- except that two were child-size. Didn't find that out until we were two hours out of Split with squalls bearing down on us.

The rest of the boat worked well. Anchor rode wasn't marked so we were never sure how much we had down. The sails were kind of worn, but the running rigging was in good shape.

It was a great trip for us and we'd go back, if there weren't so many other places we want to go first.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 05:33   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney 1940 View Post
no, there is no any anchoring spots around dubrovnik, it is to open.no sheltered waters. and to deep. there is furter north, couple of miles, near by islands but in dubrovnik there is none. apart between islands of daksa & kolocep for big ships, cruisers etc. and between island of lokrum and "old town" dubrovnik.

lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 03:30   #8

Anyone knows where in croatia can learning basics of sailing?
Andrej123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 03:51   #9

Boat: Couch Potato

I heard good things about this one. And they are offering RYA certificates.

Sailing Croatian nautic academy
Old 30-01-2015, 04:34   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej123 View Post

contact euromarine at dubrovnik. great people great boats great sailing. if you pm me with your email i will hook you and the owner of euromarine up and you two can work it out.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 04:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney 1940 View Post

you can go down past dubrovnik and anchor before you get to aci marina. there is a current so good scope.
Old 01-02-2015, 22:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
I heard good things about this one. And they are offering RYA certificates.

Sailing Croatian nautic academy

ohhh, thnx a lot for the information
<html>
<body>
but my friend told me about this
<a href="http://www.anasail.com/basics-of-sailing">basics of sailing in croatia.</a>
hmm, did you see this before? I'd like to check it
</body>
</html>
Andrej123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56   #13

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej123 View Post

if you after quality stuff

find anglo teacher to learn discipline on sea
find french teacher to learn actuall sailing
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

You can contact us for skipper training at any time. We offer training out of the season, so from March till May and from October till November.
andreas0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 06:49   #15

Talk to EuroMarine too

euromarine.com.hr/

Tags
Croatia