Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 15:24   #31

Re: Catalina 22 to Bimini

We had the same experiences as Jim & Ann. We bought our C22 from a couple who only had it a year and found the two of them and their two teenage sons wouldn't work even for daysails on The Bay. We had that boat for 4 years, lived weekends on it at Clear Lake, did fine when it was nice for the two of us, but one long rainy Labor Day weekend convinced us that as nice as it was, we needed bigger if we were going to continue. We bought a C25 poptop, had it 13 years until we bought this boat. The issue, as we've all read on these posts, is supplies. Think hard about it, 'cuz after you've stowed your four sleeping bags and duffle bags, there simply ain't no more room for anything.

Here's a singlehander who did it: http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...Main-Menu.html

Regardless of what we have been CAUTIONING you about here, based on our own real world experiences with this same boat, you probably won't die, but you're sure using the wrong tool for the intended purpose.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 15:41   #32
cruiser

that's a big nonstop goal IMO..

I suggest break it down a bit.

1-Try sailing you & your motley crue together on your C-22 from tampa to Ft Myers (This will be a "Coastal cruise" meaning you'll keep land in sight) and take a moment/some time in ft myers.
lotta friendly places to sit in ft myers waiting on weather for the next phase of the trip. might even inherit a second boat/some gear you'll need? (You'll be doing this as long as you're a sailor you'll come to see)

2-do the 120 miles or so away from land doing the crossing of the florida straits/gulf between mainland florida and lower keys (You'll want that VHF now incase you need to be rescued at sea) from ft myers to key west.
If you haven't lost any crue yet you might in key west as its a fun place especially for young peeps. nice place to get jobs and make some cash too?

3-make way from Key West for Marathon Fl, lotta people like to jump off there, nice sheltered/ugly weather harbors to make repairs/sit and wait. not a place for youngsters though-that's key west.

4-Jump across from Marathon to Bimini...Lotta people do the crossing outta Marathon if coming from eastern Fl. very easy to find a buddy boat in marathon going to bimini...this is when/where youll pack the boat with those things that cost way too much in bimini/outside the USA

Focusing on these smaller phases as goals, you nerves wont be too taxed as well as you'll understand/see relaxation periods ashore as anticipated scheduled stops.
also wont have to pack supplies like you'll be gone weeks at a time-just a week or so between ports of call. as well as it'll be more easy like short easy chapters of a voyage instead of trying to run a long race like marathon distance race non stop...

Good Luck, have fun!
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 16:02   #33

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Crazy thought, but . . . if you found one free boat, you might find another. I know, it's double the maintenance costs, but it would really expand your living space, and make for a fun sail -- cruising in company, racing each other, visiting each other's boats at anchor, switching up crew arrangements, keeping an eye on each other during crossings, etc.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 16:34   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobswe View Post
SNIP

On the friendship part, the four of us are all college aged and I have known them for about 5 years. I expect it to be pretty easygoing, but the four of us have never really butted heads on many issues. Given all the stops we will be making, I think we will be able to cope pretty well.

SNIP
The key phrase being "college aged".

I did similar things when I was college aged. Getting to Bimini from Miami (where my Dad lived) was easy. Used an AM radio as an RDF, just pointed it sideways tuned to the radio station where I wanted to go and as long as there was no sound I knew I was headed in the right direction. No one had VHF in the 50s and 60s; less EPIRB.

Sure my boat now has everything the USCG requires and I have USPS classes and years of sailing experience. But back in the day kids use to do stuff like this all the time and no one batted an eye.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 17:26   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But back in the day kids use to do stuff like this all the time and no one batted an eye.
Aye, Tom, and a better world it was! The overprotection fetish now prevalent is burdensome and not good for the species.

Jim
Old 24-02-2016, 18:07   #36

Boat: Boatless

Further south for jumping off is fine. That time of year, if you wait for a southerly, (which you should) light winds will be an issue. She's not a fast boat to begin with (had one a long time ago as well as a 30' which was a great little boat). Bring plenty of ethanol free fuel :-)

Check the swing keel connections CLOSELY!!! Losing that would suck and at the vintage you are talking about is a distinct possibility.

Had a friend recently who did similar crossing all the way down to the Jumentos with a swing keel something and had a fantastic time. You can really get into some thin spots.

Have a ball!

"The Table" | sailingohana
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 18:09   #37

Boat: glass knockoff of a Crowther 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Crazy thought, but . . . if you found one free boat, you might find another. I know, it's double the maintenance costs, but it would really expand your living space, and make for a fun sail -- cruising in company, racing each other, visiting each other's boats at anchor, switching up crew arrangements, keeping an eye on each other during crossings, etc.
I recall sailing with a flotilla of 3 we rented from Great Lakes Navy Base to Navy Pier in Chicago- our money was no good - what an excellent time. Also got to watch the #3 boat take a full knockdown from a thunderstorm that came out of nowhere - the bluffs hid it till it dropped right on top of us. The guys in # 3 had turned down the VHF, and just looked at us confused while we dropped sail and pointed behind them, till it was too late. They saw it just in time to brace for shock and hold on. Boat and crew came out unscathed, she righted and headed to windward all by herself, maybe a cup of water in the cockpit, none below. I was impressed - good boats, the Catalina 22s!
steve0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 20:03   #38

I just wanted to jump back in and respond to some more comments.

We are definitely NOT planning to marathon it from Tampa to Bimini. We are for sure going to stop along the way and enjoy the trip, stock up, and relax (maybe take a break from one another on a beach, stretch our legs).

As for the tender, this is all just theoretical. Come a few weeks from now we will take a test journey, see if it can even tow either. If not, we have some kayaks.

In regards to the life raft, I think that is a very good idea... They're just expensive... With life vests, an EPIRB, a GPS, flares, a dingy, and a VHF we will be covered pretty extensively.

The boat has room for at least three people to lay down, comfortably. None of us are too big. And as someone mentioned, the trip down to Key Largo will be an adventure unto itself. If the crossing seems like something we don't think we will be capable of handling, we will definitely NOT do it. Safety is the priority.
jacobswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 20:30   #39

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Me and a buddy are planning on spending a couple weeks on great slave Lake on his Catalina 25. He wants a third guy for the overnight crossing( yes a lake that big) my concern is 3 guys on a boat that small for 2 weeks. I can't imagine 4 on a 22! My biggest question is where will you put the beer?
The flip side is you will spend the rest of your life telling stories about this trip.
I agree with the idea of finding another boat and going tandem. If nothing else you can find some privacy if one of you meets an island girl;-)
Have fun with it, be safe, and get lots of pics.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 23:59   #40

Boat: Boatless

You'll never forget it, just go :-) Recently in Nassau we were at our old haunt, Yacht Haven. There are several sailboats there they will just about give you. Folks that made this crossing then lost interest and just left. Talk to the dockmaster, Dyson, for details. There are a lot of those around but a few $$$ to get safe.

If young and no time or children have a ball.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 04:12   #41

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

Just retired from USF - Tampa. We sailed from Tampa Bay to Key West twice in the last year, used our motor when we ran out of wind and did it in less than 40 hours. Without an engine, it will probably take longer unless you have some good wind. We didn't stop but sailed a rhumb line down. When you get closer to the Keys, watch out for shrimpers at night (and at daytime), other than that not much boat traffic. We sailed from Key West to Cuba in the Conch Republic Cup in January and crossed the Straights of Florida. There was a lot of commercial boat traffic - not fun at night, next time we are going to have an AIS so we can tell better what direction the big ships are going, etc. and we kept two up on deck to watch for other ships and helm. Our next big trip will be to the Bahamas, not sure when (don't want to be there during hurricane season). Let us know how it goes.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
One of you takes a dump in the "head" below. Discuss. Hopefully you have a Y valve, or the holding tank is now full...
No Y-valve. No holding tank. The Catalina 22 just has a small space for a porta-potti underneath the V-berth. And, yes, that means that the V-berth must be partially disassembled, and no one can be sleeping there, if anyone needs to use the porta-potti. I think a bucket or two will be a "must have" for them!
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:37   #43

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Catalina 22 to Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No Y-valve. No holding tank. The Catalina 22 just has a small space for a porta-potti underneath the V-berth. And, yes, that means that the V-berth must be partially disassembled, and no one can be sleeping there, if anyone needs to use the porta-potti. I think a bucket or two will be a "must have" for them!
It will be a field day for the poop patrol when, not if, they get stopped. My 29er is set up for just one, for a reason.
Edit: several reasons.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:45   #44

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

I presume on that year model C22 you have reviewed the weak point issues in the rigging?
James
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:26   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
It will be a field day for the poop patrol when, not if, they get stopped. My 29er is set up for just one, for a reason.
Edit: several reasons.
Amen, FWC in the keys totally on the lookout/stalks/boards smaller older boats looking for precisely this as much as the lobster poachers-monroe county public enemy number one is holding tank violators and lobster poachers...and they aren't so nice about it either, you'll get more than just a fix it ticket, you'll get a fine as well...sass off to them and they'll take you to Stock Island (monroe county jail)

Sadly to make a C-22 boat compliant for the Florida keys sanctuary (or any protected waters) is gonna be $300-$500. Need at least a 15galloner for these guys intentions IMO.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, catalina