Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 11:21   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
First Tunisia . . . Now Egypt ?

what is happening both great places from the cruisers point of view, is there something we are not seeing in the world news?

is this the beggining of the end?
east west divide? or just the recession?

would be great if anybody could shed some light on whats happening on the ground,will be quite a few yachts on their way to egypt in the next few months.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 11:26   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
You Missed Albaina! its rumbling there also
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 11:32   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
People have had enough of being treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed on crap, they have Sky and the Net, they know how other parts of the world live and they want some of that action too.

Maybe its change for the good, maybe if their own countries are happier places to live, they wont want to come here.

As for cruising and live aboard destinations, it might not be so good as democracy might bring higher prices and lawlessness
Old 29-01-2011, 11:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i have not been closely watching the news,is there a fundamentalist aspect to this stuff or is it just regime/poverty/recession induced?
Old 29-01-2011, 11:49   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To the extent that members can keep the political commentary out of this thread, it can continue. But if it strays off course and turns into a Them vs Us, Muslim vs Christian vs Jew vs . . . etc., it will be dealt with appropriately.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 29-01-2011, 11:55   #6

Atoll, that is quite funny. "Is there something we are not seeing in the world news" Ha-ha-ha...
Now I may be wrong on who "First" stated this well known truth, but a truth it is non the less.
Thomas Jefferson said that "If you don't read the newspaper (or tv, or internet news/lies) then you are uninformed.
If you do read the newspaper then you are misinformed"
So which version is it that you were looking to agonize over, specifically?
Now if this point is not clear, let me say it straight out.
You are "NEVER" going to get the truth from the mass media.
Especially on something important like when a country is being....modified to better suit the powers that be.
Mountainview42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 11:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

objective,factual please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
To the extent that members can keep the political commentary out of this thread, it can continue. But if it strays off course and turns into a Them vs Us, Muslim vs Christian vs Jew vs . . . etc., it will be dealt with appropriately.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
yes i have been to both places many times and would not like the thread to degenerate in to a political discussion/diatribe,please feel free to pull it if it becomes un -objective .

my heart goes out to the people of those countries,but also to the 60-70 yachts on their way from phuket who will be arriving in suez in the next 30-60days.
Old 29-01-2011, 12:03   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Once the people of the other countries in that region saw what the people in Tunisia did, the people in the other countries will become more embolden to do the same for themselves...like Egypt. If the populace in Egypt are successful I won't which country will be next?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 12:22   #9

Boat: Still a dreamer....
There is a lot of tension in that area, and i hope not this will escalate. People of Jemen and Jordan are also unhappy these days. Cruisers going through Suez are not in a good situation I am afraid...(somali pirates at it as ever...) sounding very negative here...sorry. ....cold beer...ahhh i am happy again
ArcticTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 12:34   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

BBC has been reporting a certain degree of hostility to Westerners - not so much over religous differences, but from a resentment that the West has been propping up a Regime that only stays in power by terrorising & killing it's citizens and from looting the country (the military is heavily involved in State business). No idea why the locals think the West is involved - maybe they followed the money?

I only mention it for an answer as to why being a Westerner may be an issue in Egypt at the present time - me would hold off from visiting until things settle down (either way). Alternatively having a good explanation as to why "you" having paid money (via your Govt) to kill "his" freinds and relatives makes you an innocent bystander...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 12:39   #11

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
The city of Suez is one of the trouble hotspots but I dont think the world at large will tollerate disruption of trade transiting the canal. The US has a lot of influence with Egypt.

I think its the high price and shortage of staple foods which has triggered this recent uprising in Tunisia, which happened to be one of 4 long term regional dictatorship type countries, so the food price was the catalist to destabalise the government
Old 29-01-2011, 12:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I think its the high price and shortage of staple foods which has triggered this recent uprising in Tunisia, which happened to be one of 4 long term regional dictatorship type countries, so the food price was the catalist to destabalise the government
yes these were my thoughts, as apposed to a more ideological fundamentalist shift,which would be very worrying in a secular country like egypt,closesly connected to europe .

brings back memories of 1956 suez crisis..........
Old 29-01-2011, 13:31   #13

Boat: Beneteau/343
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yes these were my thoughts, as apposed to a more ideological fundamentalist shift,which would be very worrying in a secular country like egypt,closesly connected to europe .

brings back memories of 1956 suez crisis..........
My sense here is that most of the tension is economic and lack of openness in these societies. I also suspect that there could easily be a religious aspect to it when it comes time to replace the existing governments. That is probably more true for Egypt than for Tunisia. The history of these events is far from written.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 13:33   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

wow its really kicking off there,just watched the riot's in front of my favorite pub in suez,the st georges in down town suez.

hope fully any body at suez yacht club will be okay in the secure enclosure,on the moorings.

i think if i was in hurghada marina or el gouna i would seriously be thinking about going out on anchor.

didn't nostradamus have some sort of prediction about this?

Welcome to Facebook sorry link may not work but try aljazeera english if interested
Old 29-01-2011, 16:03   #15

Boat: contessa 32
no food, no jobs, no,dignity ,no representation, no hope,= nothing to lose.
What would it take to make you set yourself on fire?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Egypt, Tunisia