Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 17:35   #1

Boat: Moody 376 & San Juan 7.7
Buy a boat without a survey? or even seeing it?

Am I crazy to even consider this?. Not an ex charter but a respected blue water cruiser and liveaboard with loads of recent upgrades inc recent engine, new standing rigging, keel bolts, windlass, access to recent survey, cruising history, maintenance records.

Boat is in the Med, we are in North America, cruising season is closing in in the med and we are on a timeline, need to buy the boat and start our adventure.

Hoping for a quick transaction and leveraging an unconditional offer to get a good price.

Thoughts?
wryanddry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 17:52   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Buy a boat without a survey? or even seeing it?

It's a gamble, you need to ask yourself... Do I feel lucky?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:00   #3

Boat: Leopard L38

Don't do it! I learned the hard way on my first sailboat purchase.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:09   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Look, if you are going cruising you need to figure this stuff out for yourself. Don't buy a boat you don't understand or can't fix yourself. You don't need a survey, only people who don't know this stuff need a survey.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:19   #5

Boat: Magnum 21

I saw an ad for a boat. I placed a deposit, drove 150 km, paid the balance and towed it home. In my case it was a 21 footer. I was gambling but the stakes are much lower because previously I have owned a 22-footer for 15 years. I was without a boat for 2 years and wanted one this year.
https://davidchin35.blogspot.co.nz/2...magnum-21.html
David Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:25   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Not sure about not needing a survey. But you definitely need an independent inspection of the hull out of the water. I have surveyed waaay to many well maintained boats that still have issues. I surveyed a nice Beneteau last week that had a cracked rudder quadrant that the owner had no idea about. That turned into a pricey repair as the owner decided to replace the rudder bearings as well as get the quadrant repaired.
Here in Australia you need a current out of water survey to get marine insurance. I wonder what the rules are in the Med?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryanddry View Post
Am I crazy to even consider this?. Not an ex charter but a respected blue water cruiser and liveaboard with loads of recent upgrades inc recent engine, new standing rigging, keel bolts, windlass, access to recent survey, cruising history, maintenance records.

Boat is in the Med, we are in North America, cruising season is closing in in the med and we are on a timeline, need to buy the boat and start our adventure.

Hoping for a quick transaction and leveraging an unconditional offer to get a good price.

Thoughts?
Bad idea. Gambling with your money and more. Might be a keeper...
But then you could get an unsafe, run down, filthy boat soon to need lots of repairs. I've crossed the country twice to look at boats advertised as fabulous to walk away disgusted. Your choice.
Good luck.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:42   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Negotiate a price you can both agree on, then sign a contract contingent on a survey and your inspection. Get the survey done and fly over for the inspection. Plan on taking delivery then and sailing off to the sunset. If anything shows up on the inspections that is significant then renegotiate or back out. Just don't nickel and dime the seller. It is not reasonable to purchase an expensive cruising boat without survey or at least your personal expert inspection. What is pristine to a Seller might be end of life to a Buyer. That doesn't mean you can't complete the toughest part of the negotiations from afar.
Old 12-08-2017, 20:31   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I would only consider buying a boat sight unseen that is brand new and is under the manufacturer's warranty...even then, I would want to see an identical version first and get it underway.

Only do it if it is a rowboat and you don't have much to lose.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 21:30   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

All boats need some type of work. Anything from a burned out light bulb to something major. You won't know till you see it in person and go through every thing.
I did the no survey thing and had some regrets. Luckily I'm able to do most repairs myself but parts are still expensive.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 21:54   #11

Boat: Various

Quote:

Thoughts?
Certainly the price and the boat figure into how big a gamble this is. However, the one reminder I'd give you. The seller knows the boat, you don't. The odds of the seller selling it for too little are far less than the odds of you buying it for less than it's value. You may think you've negotiated a great deal, but if the seller accepts it may just be because of something you don't know and they do.

When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Calendars and timelines are always dangerous. We say that about sailing or cruising and the potential for bad weather conditions, but the same thing applies in making a decision to buy or sell.

I wouldn't buy something sight unseen, not surveyed, and not examined by someone working for me unless I was willing to just write the entire amount off if it was a bad deal. That may sound extreme, but when you're talking about a boat across the sea and one you want to sail out quickly, you could end up with a total or near total loss.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 01:05   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Thoughts?
Not completely crazy ... just marginal.

I would not buy sight unseen.... but if you are happy carrying out your own survey make an offer subject to inspection.... if that is accepted buy a ticket and go and have a look...

Then all you are risking is the airfare ...

Worked for me with my boat ... flew from Straya to Thailand for a weekend ( out Thursday.. home on Tuesday ) .. did my own inspection including the hull while she was afloat .. then made the offer... apart from the mast falling down 3 weeks after I bought her it worked out quite well.

Not every boat on the market is a wreck...

I know more about rigging now than I did then........
Old 13-08-2017, 04:57   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Certainly a significant risk. You could buy yourself some very expensive problems. Like osmosis, delam, structural issues, rigging, sails, siezed engine...just a few of the big $ items that come to mind...any one of which could wipe out your purchase price savings and then some.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 05:56   #14

Do you intend to insure the boat , survey required !
wandering rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 06:43   #15

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Look, if you are going cruising you need to figure this stuff out for yourself. Don't buy a boat you don't understand or can't fix yourself. You don't need a survey, only people who don't know this stuff need a survey.
+1..ive never gotten a survey.. But im sure theres nothing i cant fix and i truly feel i know what im looking at
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, survey