Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 07:29   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu
Know a Good Surveyor in Greece (Ionian)?

Hi

I'm heading to Greece (Ionian) from the UK to see a few 46-52' blue water cruisers next week and would like to move things along fairly quickly if I see the right boat.

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in the area - preferably one that speaks decent English?

'most grateful..

Woody
Renx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 07:31   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu
Re: Know a Good Surveyor in Greece (Ionian)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renx View Post
Hi

I'm heading to Greece (Ionian) from the UK to see a few 46-52' blue water cruisers next week and would like to move things along fairly quickly if I see the right boat.

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in the area - preferably one that speaks decent English?

'most grateful..

Woody
Oh, and following on from that... I've heard questionable things about buying in Greece - particularly relating to Tax and hidden costs - anyone have any recent first hand experience?
Renx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Following two bad expereiences with local surveyors, I would always send someone from home. That way you can find them when things go wrong. Flights are pretty cheap.

Oh, and if you come across a German surveyor called Gerd Karl kindly kick him in the bollox for me. Thank you.
Old 31-05-2017, 13:07   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

I know a good Italian one that makes lots of surveys in Greece and Turkey (including for insurance companies). Of course you have to add the price of the travel but from Italy to Greece there are lots of cheap flights.

He speaks very good English (his mother is British). PM if you are interested and I will give you more details.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 17:31   #5

Boat: Hanse 505

I have very good experience with Spiros Courtelessis who surveyed my Oceanis 46 before I bought it. Very kind, very thorough, very experienced. Speaks and understands English well. Let me know if you're interested and I can look up his details...
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 17:32   #6

Boat: Hanse 505

He's based in Corfu...
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 02:53   #7

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

I had a very good experience with Spiros as well and would recommend him but I have been told he is dead. No idea if it is correct or not.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 09:39   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Check british surveyor in Athens. Roger Walsh. I do not know him personally but learnt a lot from him (being a surveyor myself). Has great recommendations and good internet site.
British Yacht Surveyor based in Athens Greece
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17   #9

Hi,

We recently used Rolf from Ionian Marine Surveys (www.ionianmarinesurveys.com) when we bought our boat in Preveza. He was great! Very knowledgeable and easy to deal with.
WildeTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:35   #10

I am using George Karamalis of Karamalis & Associates each time I need a boat survey in Greece. He is doing a very thorough inspection finding every hidden defect and provides me a clear report at the end. Know a few people who also had George do surveys for them and are all very happy with him. Website is Karamalis Yacht Surveyors in Greece | Karamalis-surveyors.gr
KevinJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 00:08   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 422
Send a message via Skype™ to Andy Lange

I am currently in Lefkada and I just had a survey done by Rolf Thunecke. He's done an amazing job for me. Rolf even agreed to meet with me and the seller, to clear things up and to help with the sales process.
Also his report left nothing unclear, was easy to understand and follow.
I have already used his report and sent it off to insurance companies as I obviously need their services and got praise for the thoroughness of the report.
I know Rolf lives in the UK but spends quite some time in the Ionian area every year to do the surveys.
If you are lucky he might still be here and available when you come down. Just give him a shout. More details can be found here: http://www.ionianmarinesurveys.com/

I hope this helps and good luck finding the right boat
Andy Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 06:01   #12

Boat: van de Stadt 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renx View Post
Hi

'most grateful..

Woody

2 weeks ago I had a pre-purchase survey done by Rolf Thunecke from Ioninianmarinesurveys.com. He is one of few IIMS certified surveyors around Lefkas. The inspection was thorough and he delivered a detailed report with some valuable tips. I can certainly recommend him.
Jules1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, ionian, survey, surveyor