Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 04:58   #1

Newbie.. where to refill water tanks when on mooring/anchor?

So up until now, all of our cruising has been either weekends, or we have stayed at a marina every few days. We are planning to stay on the hook for 2 weeks or so, and don't know where we will be able to refill our water tank. We will be in Annapolis, and heading down to Solomon's, and then up the Potomac. Can you fill up at a fuel Dock? Do I need to bring water jugs and haul them back and forth to somewhere on shore with the Dinghy? What do you do for water without the ability to use a water maker?
CheapThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 05:35   #2

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: Newbie.. where to refill water tanks when on mooring/anchor?

Most fuel docks have water available with no problem if you are buying fuel. If you are "jugging" it, you will learn to conserve fresh water quick. Have a separate salt water faucet on my galley sink... Fresh water only for final rinse.

Usually in the US, water is not a costly issue. Once you get down into the keys, Bahamas, and the rest of the Caribbean, you will find yourself paying for fresh water. A canvas rain-catch can supplement local water supplies in the rainy season.
Old 18-04-2017, 05:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CheapThrill.
Generally, yes to both of your posits.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:11   #4

Ok, so I'll plan on filling the water tank when fueling up. And maybe adding a raw water line to the sink. Thanks for the fast reply!
Old 18-04-2017, 06:27   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

We always fill up (with water!) at the fuel dock, when possible.

Missing that, we grab a dazilion of gallon bottles and row the water from the tap ashore - ALWAYS ask first the person who lives closest to the tap - it may be their water.

In emergency you can collect some rain water - not good for drinking but great for washing your hair!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:30   #6

Ok, so I'll plan on filling the water tank when fueling up. And maybe adding a raw water line to the sink. Thanks for the fast reply!
Old 18-04-2017, 06:32   #7

Thanks
Old 18-04-2017, 08:08   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

One (first world dwellers) only begins to appreciate what a precious resource water until you have to dole it out in handfuls. Leaving the sink running while washing dishes or while showering is a luxury. Flushing toilets with pure water every time you urinate is a luxury.
Living on a boat on the hook will give you an appreciation for what flows from your tap.
Be grateful !
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:15   #9

I completely agree, I love the freedom that comes from staying on the hook, we are slowly upgrading our trailer cruiser for extended stays, but there's only so much I can squeeze in a 25 footer...This forum is great, I never expected to get so many responses so quickly. Thanks to all of you for the warm welcoming!
Old 18-04-2017, 08:22   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

It takes a lot of balls to pull into a marina fuel dock and fill your boat's water tanks and not buy fuel but I've seen it done. I've also seen people wait until the marina is close and staff has gone home to pull up and fill their boat's water tanks.

Actually, I've seen them do that, dump their garbage and plug in to run their air conditioning for the night. They leave before the staff gets there in the morning.

This is stealing of course and I wouldn't do it but I've seen it done.
Old 18-04-2017, 08:28   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Actually, rainwater can be perfectly acceptable for drinking, often better than the tap, if a few simple precautions are taken. I only use the tap when I must, since the rain--properly processed--is better than many marinas. No skunky water.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11709-1.html

The trick is to follow the same steps an treatment works would:
I go though this in some detail in the above Practical Sailor articles, and in more detail in "Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts." It's easy, once it is set up.

The downsides are unreliability and limited volume. But it can work very well for a boat on a mooring--the tank will be full when you come back.

Baja water filter prefiltering rainwater.
Old 18-04-2017, 08:32   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Unless your consumption is out of sight weekly fill ups should do you fine. Refill when you refuel. Keep a 5 gal jerrycan on deck or a couple of half gallon bottles below if you are worried about running out. It might help you plan if you know the capacity of your fresh water tank.
Remember water is not free unless you own the well. Somebody is paying for what comes out of the tap.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:34   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

Actually, rain water is fine to drink if you collect it properly. Clean container, clean tarp, no industrial polluters nearby, no bird poo or insects, etc. It can be filtered with a portable filter pitcher.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:35   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

In rare cases, you may find a free public dock with free water. One just off the AICW in Jacksonville, FL comes to mind. I'm sure there are others.
Old 18-04-2017, 08:39   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Actually, rainwater can be perfectly acceptable for drinking, often better than the tap, if a few simple precautions are taken. I only use the tap when I must, since the rain--properly processed--is better than many marinas. No skunky water.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11709-1.html

The trick is to follow the same steps an treatment works would:
I go though this in some detail in the above Practical Sailor articles, and in more detail in "Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts." It's easy, once it is set up.

The downsides are unreliability and limited volume. But it can work very well for a boat on a mooring--the tank will be full when you come back.

Baja water filter prefiltering rainwater.
Having had a house with cistern water I know it's easy to do but not on remote control. I had to keep our water good by letting the rain wash the collection surface well before throwing the switch to the cistern. The last thing I would want on my boat is pelican droppings in my water, filter or not!
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring, tanks, water