Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 23:14   #1

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m
Cockpit laptop monitor

I have just installed a new Furuno CPN. It works great but OpenCPN leaves it for dead. I want to install a monitor in the cockpit for my Toshiba Laptop. It must be 12 volt, daytime viewable, shower proof and connected remotely to the laptop. Any help or advice would be greatly received.

It is stinking hot in Cooktown Australia at this time.
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 00:59   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Cockpit laptop monitor

It is difficult to find a reasonably priced LCD monitor that is sunlight readable. You need at least 1,000 nits brightness and prices typically start above $500 (search ebay or amazon). At that price point you might as well get a second chartplotter.

An alternative is to use an inexpensive car backup monitor (250-300 nits but around $20). Usually it is not sunny when conditions warrant the use of radar.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 02:10   #3

Boat: Krogen, Cutter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
It is difficult to find a reasonably priced LCD monitor that is sunlight readable. You need at least 1,000 nits brightness and prices typically start above $500 (search ebay or amazon). At that price point you might as well get a second chartplotter.

An alternative is to use an inexpensive car backup monitor (250-300 nits but around $20). Usually it is not sunny when conditions warrant the use of radar.

SV Pizzazz
But are they going to stand up to the weather in a cockpit? Vartech makes the type of monitor you are asking about in a touchscreen version. I have used them on smaller ships in the past. Be sitting down with smelling salts available when you see the price. (Maybe lots of rum before seeing the price).
Richfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 02:34   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Panasonic made moisture resistant detachable monitors for their Toughbook laptop line and these are available used on ebay for about 50 to 150 usd. I don't have one but my understanding is they are daylight viewable,not totally water proof and draw a bit more current than what you'd hope for. But very affordable compared to new ones I suppose. Maybe someone who has one would care to comment?

Here is an old thread about the subject:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-59672.html
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 02:35   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What about a pad in a compatible Pelican case, or similar. And by compatible I mean one that lets you operate everything while the pad is safe & secure inside of the case. Needs be you can connect everything via onboard Wifi.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 03:59   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Not daylight viewable but you may want to consider an iPad or Android with a Remote Destop connection to the laptop over wireless. Search your App Store for these programs, and use Google to learn how to set up the ad-hoc wireless connection you would need.

There are many choices for weatherproof cases and mounts.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 04:04   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Another option is a swing away shelf in the companionway for your laptop. You'd need to secure it from swinging when heeled. If using Velcro under a laptop make sure your placement is not at memory/drive/battery covers. 3 one inch squares are sufficient.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:30   #8

Hello Ray!

I was searcing extensivly to find a monitor with the specs you mention to reasonable price, finally I found Faytech monitors that are availiable IP65 size 8-15 inch (I am using the 15 inch since three years, and it works great)

https://www.faytech.com/products/pro...ouch-monitors/

I am not associated in any regard with this company, but I am very happy to share my own experience in using OpenCPN, great software and with right hardware you have a great navigationsystem to a low cost.

Sincerely / Per Forsberg, Sweden
forsbpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:40   #9

Dear Ray!

I found a great monitor that is daylight readiable, low power, IP65, touch control and to a reasonable price in a Faytech monitor, have used it for three years without a problem.

Old 24-01-2017, 18:18   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbpe View Post
Hello Ray!

I was searcing extensivly to find a monitor with the specs you mention to reasonable price, finally I found Faytech monitors that are availiable IP65 size 8-15 inch (I am using the 15 inch since three years, and it works great)

I am not associated in any regard with this company, but I am very happy to share my own experience in using OpenCPN, great software and with right hardware you have a great navigationsystem to a low cost.

Sincerely / Per Forsberg, Sweden
Hej Per, how much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind me asking?
Best regards,
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 22:39   #11
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Digital Signage Display 20.32 cm 8 Zoll Faytech FT08TMIP65 EEK: A 1024 x 768 Pixel 24/7 Touchscreen, Outdoor tauglich, L im Conrad Online Shop | 1503409

330€
That's with 19% VAT included
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 22:50   #12

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m

Thank you for the replies. My Toshiba Laptop is not a touch screen unit. Will it still work with a touch screen Monitor in the cockpit? At 72 I have to rely on you youngsters for help.
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 00:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Hej Per, how much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind me asking?
Best regards,
Erik
What I recall it was somewhere around EUR 450 for the 15 inch monitor, this was three years ago though!
Sincerely / Per
Old 25-01-2017, 00:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Perry View Post
Thank you for the replies. My Toshiba Laptop is not a touch screen unit. Will it still work with a touch screen Monitor in the cockpit? At 72 I have to rely on you youngsters for help.
The touch screen function is through a USB cable connected to the computer and a driver is needed to be installed and finalizing with a calibration of where to point at the monitor, it works with any PC.
Sincerely / Per
Old 25-01-2017, 00:05   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

I don't know whst model you are referring to when you say Furuno CPN, but many Furuno chartploters have multiple video inputs. You could display your OpenCPN on one of them.

Tags
cockpit, laptop, monitor