Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 12:00   #1

Marinas in the mediterranean

Hi there, this is the first post to this forum.
In 9 months time my wife and I plan to purchase a yacht large enough for comfortable living, but able to be handled by the two of us when necessary. We expect that we will have friends and family with us quite often.
We live in NZ, but will buy the yacht in the northern hemisphere and keep it in the med or the US for 3 or 4 northern summers and then bring it back to NZ.
The type we are researching is the Oyster62 which seems to fulfill our requirements for space, crewing, and be capable of some blue water adventures. We are experienced keelboat sailors after many years in NZ and have chartered yachts before in the Adriatic.
A colleague of ours has ventured that much of the mediterranean cruising scene is built around 30-45' footer charter boats and that with a 62' yacht marina options will be limited.
Can any of you experienced sailors advise on this? Is there a significant difference in the med ( all parts of it ) between say a 50' and a 62' when it comes to marinas?
Thanks very much for any useful insights !
Oyster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 12:43   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Marinas in the mediterranean

Most Med marinas offer berths up to about 100 ft. 60 footers are daily bread here. Med is all about big maxi yachts and rich people on vacation so "big" berths are actually very common.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:19   #3

Boat: Boatless at the moment

For the mediterranean 50" - 60" is a modest size yacht, dependig on the season reservation is a must.
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:07   #4

Thanks Tricolour and Barnakiel,
Good information and has laid that ghost to rest !
Appreciated ...
Oyster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:32   #5
cruiser

We've been cruising the Med on our Oyster 53 for five years and recently inquired about upgrading to an Oyster 66. No problems with moorings, anchorages etc here in the Med.

PM me anytime you like, there're quite a few of us here in the Adriatic. Many Oysters throughtout the Med.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Marinas in the mediterranean

Palma de Mallorca there's one marina will not accept anything less than 14metres..
they love the bigger boats out there.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 13:07   #7

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

We have a 53 footer and in one marina in Malorca, we paid €4000/mo during the summer months....

Pain.....

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 13:52   #8

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

The issue is more about the drought, although Oysters are not quite deep into water.

Yet, with 8' drought, or more, a good portion of minor marinas are off-limits... Mainly so in the Adriatic sea, all along the Italian Side.

You may find many second hand Oyster in Balearics, where they are pricey. Have a try in Malta, surely cheaper (and with many comparable alternatives... Not least because Oysters suffered some ups and downs in quality of produce..., like the many, Indeed).

I'd searched in uk/Holland too
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 14:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
We have a 53 footer and in one marina in Malorca, we paid €4000/mo during the summer months....

Pain.....

GL
Not much for Maillorca standards.. I had paid 104 € per night for a 43 ft cat in the middle of DECEMBER..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 14:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Marinas in the mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Not much for Maillorca standards.. I had paid 104 € per night for a 43 ft cat in the middle of DECEMBER..

Cheers

Yeloya
Damn..!! I paid just over that for 1 week in Palma in June.. <12metre (just) mono..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 14:39   #11

Boat: Oyster 56

Marinas in Mediterranean are pricey, some of them also have waiting lists. In general, they prefer bigger boats, prices for your size are in the range of 10K per year or more, many of them would be happy to accept your nice Sailboat.
If you only plan to spend summers on the sailboat and optimizing costs is important then it makes sense to find the reasonable priced place to keep your Oyster while you are away - preferably on land.
I keep my sailboat for the 15 years in the north of Adriatics, 30minutes from home, so if this region is your choice i could give you some advice, just send me a message.
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Think you got your prime symbols mixed - 50 inches to 60 inches is certainly modest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
For the mediterranean 50" - 60" is a modest size yacht, dependig on the season reservation is a must.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:06   #13

Expensive. Figure about $2000 per week at most marinas for a 60 footer; way more in popular places. We usually lurked in Malta where they had tons of moorings and dockage at reasonable prices. Good place to go in the winter.

If you are adventurous and want low prices, great foods, and dockage right in town, try the coastal towns in Morocco. Algiers is also a fantastic place. The southern Med offers a lot of adventure for low costs; and no, they are not going to kill you; any more than the nut cases who inhabit the northern Med coastlines. If you can speak French, you will do fine.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:20   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Draco

Most Turkish Marinas are relatively much cheaper Than Italian, Spanish and other med Marinas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
finikeyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 13:11   #15
nwn

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I have been sailing the Adriatic, Greece and Italy with my Grand Soleil 53. As many write, this is not large in the Med. But harbour fees are high many places. The result is that the more adventurous among just anchor and avoid the harbour fees. For the winter we seek to places where we can get a cheap place in the water or on the hard. Currently, my boat is in Messolonghi, where the price is less than 3000 euro for 10 winter months in the water. You will pay extra for hoisting. We have been returning there after some years close to the North end of the Adriatic in Italy and another year in Southern Italy. Prices there were higher than in Greece.
nwn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, mediterranean