Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 11:21   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Satellite phones need declaring in India

Here's a silly law that can land you in jail for 3 years:

Steamship Mutual - Use of Satellite Phones in Indian Waters
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:40   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Satellite phones need declaring in India

Quote:
Satellite phones were used by the terrorists involved in the attacks in Mumbai. Following this, the use of these phones was made illegal in India because the manufacturers who produce these devices could not prove to the Indian government that they could not be abused by terrorists in the future.
I happen to be in New York city.

Do you want me to list the "silly" laws, edicts, because of 9/11???????

Here's my first example.... The brass bull of Wall Street was moved and is now at another location for 'security reasons'. Do I need another example?

If you want to visit another country you need to respect the laws of that country no matter how "silly" they appear to be...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	104149  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 12:04   #3

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I happen to be in New York city.

Do you want me to list the "silly" laws, edicts, because of 9/11???????

Here's my first example.... The brass bull of Wall Street was moved and is now at another location for 'security reasons'. Do I need another example?

If you want to visit another country you need to respect the laws of that country no matter how "silly" they appear to be...
Well, that's the point. You need to know the laws so you can obey them no matter how idiotic they are. In fact the more stupid they are, the more you are likely to get caught out as you wouldn't have imagined it could be illegal and are all the more likely to break it. In this case possibly going to jail. I hope my post may save someone from suffering like that.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 12:22   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The public foolishly tend to assume anything that can connect to a phone network is a phone. If there's no wire plugged into your wall, the odds are that it is a computer, not a telephone, and a computer controlled RADIO, not a telephone, and it is regulated as a RADIO.

That's the law in the US, according to the FCC. State criminal prosecutors have been surprised to find that US "wiretap" laws do not apply to cell phones, because they are RADIOS and "wiretap" does not apply to radio transmissions, by federal law.

Of course if you take an unlicensed, unsanctioned (by the Chinese government) radio transceiver into China, it may be confiscated and you may be arrested on the spot for espionage. Honest citizens do not need radio transceivers, unless special circumstances are proven and properly licensed use pre-authorized.

So, nothing special about India. The toys are too cheap, anyone can buy and use them without any understanding of what they have bought.

This is why WalMart no longer sells heavy construction equipment, or explosives.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 00:59   #5

Boat: Vindö 45

Are hammers illegal in India too?
I think the producers of hammers can have difficulties in proving that these tools cannot be (ab)used by terrorists nor any other criminals.
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

The requirement about declaring satellite phones in India has been on the immigration entry forms for years. It is not a silly rule in their system. They can and do monitor mobile phone calls but not satellite calls. Thus would be attackers often arrive with satellite phones. I doubt a cruiser will have any problems if the phone is declared.

India has suffered terror attacks more often than the US. They are doing what they think is reasonable to protect themselves and tourists.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 00:27   #7

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

When I was there 4 years ago you had to show id which was recorded even to use the internet in a cafe.
They are very security conscientious.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2015, 12:38   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Does a spot or inreach count as a sat phone in india?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:45   #9

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

We sailed from Cochin to Mumbai in 2011. Easily got a local sim card with data and used it to access the internet. We also used the internet at hotels with no id required. The sim card had to be recharged when we used all the data of course. Never declared our satellite phone because it wasn't something that appeared on the C/I papers and no one ever asked.

C/I did require the ORIGINAL vessel documentation to be kept by them until you checked out. Very few captains gave up their original papers - only copies which looked like originals. These copies were never questioned by C/I.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Does a spot or inreach count as a sat phone in india?

If it has 2-way communications ability I think it does count. For best answer check with a local Indian consulate. They have become very tourist friendly in the past year.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I don't think the Charging Bull of Wall Street was moved for security reasons.

The Bull was built by a man who dropped the Bull off on a public street/property, in front of the New York Stock Exchange(NYSE), without permission from the city. The bull was moved either by the NYSE or the city, which caused a public uproar and eventually, the bull was placed where it is today. At least this is what I remember reading a long time ago.

Maybe there are some CF members who lived in NYC back in the 80's can remember more details?

Quote:
Absolutely. If one can't stand the local laws, customs or culture for whatever reason, don't go there.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
India, phone, satellite, satellite phone