Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 13:12   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Marty-
Here's a totally different reason to get a survey. You're going to insure the boat? (Many marinas & most lenders require insurance.) The insurer may REQUIRE a survey. Give them a call and ask, because some will require a survey by someone "on their list" while others may require certain credentials for the surveyor.

So instead of worrying about whether a survey is a good idea...figure that you won't have much choice, it probably will be required one way or the other. Just call ahead to make sure the one you are getting will satisfy the parties who will be requiring it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:13   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have saved money with a surveyor. they found problems that I didn't know about and I bargained them off the price
Well, I sort of look at this subject from the same prespective. You like the boat, right? Get the surveyor, if he finds something bad, you just saved yourself a lot of grief. If he finds a bunch of small stuff, you renegotiate the sales price. Actually the surveyor pays for himself. It's like buying a house where the deal is pending home inspection.

A survey is the number 1 negotiating tool in buying a boat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:21   #18

Do your homework and get the best surveryor you can find to survey the boat. The one I had started at 9am and finished at 6pm. I accompanied him through all the boat systems with pencil and note pad in hand. At 6pm we sat at a picnic table and he reviewed what we had covered. He left and four days later I had a very detailed 8 page report. The report showed some shortcomings which I presented to the owner who had the boat yard make the necessay repairs The bill to the owner was $3500. So my survey fee of $650 was a bargin.
kargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:27   #19

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Get the survey--A surveyor can tell you based on experience what problems the sisterships have had. My surveyor did not survey powerboats because there was not a bilge per say. He pointed out things I should repair that were not in his report because they were minor. I felt the money spent was well worth it. The surveyor was in Tampa, Fl and he was know around the state because of his reputation.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:35   #20

Boat: Delphia 37
I don't think the lender requires a survey for this value level, unsure of the insurance. Need to check!

If the boat was somewhat older I'd have no problems getting a survey. If the boat was ~ 10-15k I'd skip the survey I think (well, maybe ~ 5 feet shorter and 10-15k skip the survey). IE on a trailer.

I might be able to find someone to check out the boat with me, unsure of their overall knowledge level.

As said, spending the ~ $1000 for the survey ($700+haul what ever that costs) does basically commit be to the boat. I'll do my best to rule out the boat during sea trials/my on the water inspection.

I really like the method of agree on a price and the survey is a make or break the deal item, instead of a point of further negation, but it is a valid negotiating tool.

I've honestly not research the surveyor in question, recommended by the 2x best sources I know of off hand so I was going from that.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:55   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
I really like the method of agree on a price and the survey is a make or break the deal item, instead of a point of further negation, but it is a valid negotiating tool.
This is also my preffered option (and how I bought my current boat)....to get the deal agreed (on what you know already including any defects) before incurring the costs of surveyor and any haulout - I would not want to rely on the Report being succesful as a bargaining tool, when the Vendor already knows you are $$$ comitted already it strengthens his hand.....in my case the deal was that the price agreed was in anticipation that the Surveyor would say "It's a 35 year old boat - stuff ain't mint etc and some things will need replacing" - but only a deal breaker / or for renegotiation if something major like "Keel's dropping off etc"

But IMO ain't no one right or wrong way, it's what works for you.

On this boat I was very tempted to buy without a Survey (I've bought before without) - but in the end I decided that it would be a comfort to me......as after all even the cost of a Surveyor and Haul out is small beer compared to having a major problem, and although walking away would not be pleasant you have to think of the far Greater money, aggravation and worry saved.

Marty, hope things go well
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 15:32   #22

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hellosailor has hit the nail on the head....if you are financing the boat, and insuring it you will likely be told to get a survey...Both need to protect their investment/risk.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 21:47   #23

Apart from the other logical reasons already mentioned as to why you should get a survey....

When you offer to make your purchase it is usually based on the boat surveying satisfactorily.

If you look at the boat and notice a problem and then go back to the vendor and say "Something is wrong with the port side doohickey and I want a price reduction.", the vendor may well respond with "Well that's just your opinion and you can't tell the difference between a doohickey and a whatchamacallit and there's nothing wrong with the boat so I am not lowering the price at all."

If the surveyor writes up his report and states "The port side doohickey is totally unserviceable and needs replacing." the vendor has no choice but to accept the fact that the doohickey is substandard, and lower the sale price in order to accomodate your upcoming repair expenditure.

Chances are good that your surveyor will be able to illuminate a sufficient number of shortcomings with the boat in order to allow you to ask for a reduction that will more than cover his fee.

Good Luck !

P.S.: If you are going to spend $30K, you are far better off buying a C&C 30 than a Hunter. Or a CS27, or an Express 30, or an Aloha 8.5, or a Catalina 30.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 22:39   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The survey is a risk reward equation - If 30k is no big deal for you and you don't mind spending money on something you find later then don't get the survey (unless the insurance or financer requires it)

If you are mechanical you can do it yourself with a good checklist. I have an OK one I'd be happy to send you if you PM me.

The risk is that you look at something on the list that you can't do, or don't want to do and you skip it.

I did our survey knowing very little about boats but the money we spent on the boat was small. I did skip a couple of things - like xraying the keel bolts but it was a measured risk.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 09:32   #25
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42
Re: Should I get a survey? Fresh water 1996 Hunter 280

Yup
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 09:37   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
Yup
I think you're right Razoo... A lot could have deteriorated in the 6 years from the original request...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:01   #27
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

You'd be surprised at what can deteriorate over 6 years even with a fresh water boat.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:30   #28

I don't know that the cost of survey now days is justified on a 28 Hunter.... if you are mechanically inclined and understand those books you mention. The key is the big ticket items: Keel bolts (a surveyor wont help here, best he will do is say "unknown"),
Deck core (Surveyor can help here for sure, or if you can do it), Tanks corrosion (a surveyor wont help here, best he will do is say "unknown"), Engine (surveyor will say "yes it runs , or No it doesn't")
Bottom line is... many of the hard to determine stuff is not found on a survey.. but the hull and deck issues are. Your call

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:45   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
You'd be surprised at what can deteriorate over 6 years even with a fresh water boat.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Oh man... We caught Cheech not lookin'...

Sound advise as always though...

If advice is spoken after a 6 year walk into the forest, does it make a sound?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Oh man... We caught Cheech not lookin'...

Sound advise as always though...

If advice is spoken after a 6 year walk into the forest, does it make a sound?
Hah! WTF? this thread is 6 years old! haha

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter