Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 23:55   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Australian Registration only

Has any one run into authorities concerning only having Australian Registration and not having state registration as well? I am planning moving aboard full time next year, I will not own or rent a property on land and am intending to cruise up and down the Queensland & NSW coasts for a few years before heading over seas. I currently have both Australian & NSW state rego but am planning to drop the state rego when I move aboard full time. Any one had any adverse experiences?
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 00:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Australian Registration only

Tell em you are based in NT and just passing through.

But don't be suprised if you get caught. It's not strictly legal.

"The NT is the only jurisdiction in Australia where people do not need a licence or registration to own or operate a boat, a freedom some Territorians cherish.But both AFANT and the Cruising Yacht Association of the NT have said it is a problem for Territorians who want to use their boats interstate.
"Territory residents who operate their boat outside the Northern Territory are in breach of laws in other jurisdictions," the Cruising Yacht Association's Manager Ed Vincent said.
"So if I take a boat to WA or Queensland or any other state and operate it, I'm actually breaking the law because I'm operating the boat without any recognised qualification or licence.""
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 00:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Queensland:
"Recreational boats with valid interstate or overseas registration can operate in Queensland:
  • for up to 1 year if the boat has current registration from a foreign country
  • while on interstate voyages if the boat has current registration from another state or territory.
If you move to Queensland from another state or territory, or your interstate or foreign registration expires, you must get Queensland registration."

NSW:
"
You can use a vessel registered in another Australian state or territory, or overseas, on NSW navigable waters. If you’re using the vessel temporarily in NSW, you don’t need to get NSW registration, as long as the vessel:
  • Is not ordinarily used on navigable waters in NSW
  • Has not been in NSW for more than three months
  • Is currently registered in another state, territory or overseas
  • Is properly numbered and carries an identification plate required by the law of its home state, territory or country.
If any of these conditions cannot be met, and the vessel is registrable under NSW law, it must carry NSW registration when on navigable waters in NSW.
If the home state, territory or overseas country does not have a vessel registration requirement, the vessel must be registered in NSW, or another state."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 00:33   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

This whole state/international registration thing is a mess. When I national registered my boat a few years ago I went to the trouble of unearthing the convention the Australian government is party to regarding ships registration. I recall that somewhere in there I read a requirement that a vessel only be registered in one state. I know they are talking about nation states but basically what it is saying is the a ship cannot have two identities.

In the cover letter I received with my Australian registration certificate there was a pamphlet defining the obligations of "Owners and Registered Agents of Australian Registered Ships" the fourth item states "A registered ship shall only be referred to by it's registered name." That appears to be a restriction on the vessel having any other identity, which is actually what registration is really about. How does this work if each of the states are going to give the vessel their own number which will define the ships identity in their records?

As is the case with car drivers licenses and a lot of other stuff these folks have no idea that there are people in this country whom, whilst they live in quiet costly and high quality domiciles, are transients and do not have permanent street addresses.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 00:53   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi ..... Peter?
There was recently a long thread on this issue here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-154155.html
I believe that most of the content in that thread is correct, or close to it. For you to consider anyway.
Old 25-08-2016, 21:12   #6

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Yeah I know all legal sides of things but I just wanted to know if anyone ever had any experience with someone checking on them

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:51   #7

Australian Registration only

I recently found online the legislation regarding the Australian registration. For some stupid idiotic reason, the commonwealth included a section making it perfectly legal for the states to demand registration for pleasure boats.

The states water revenue collectors will probably be very keen to enforce their legal right to empty your pockets.

My yacht is being shipped to NSW and I will have my Vic rego organised for when it is unloaded.

It's probably best to just pay up.

At best. If you keep moving, perhaps you can just keep your NSW rego.

Old 25-08-2016, 22:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

You must have state rego. You might get away with it, but probably not when you are in Qld. Biggest issue will be insurance, if the boat is not "legal" then your insurance company will be happy to disown you, but you could always check with them.

Some years ago at Port of Brisbane I had a brand new boat placed off the ship into the water, I was busy getting organised as we motored away to the Quarantine dock, about 20 minutes into the process as we were going upriver the Water Police challenged me regarding registration, as I was just tying the RUF (Restricted Use Flag - a bit like a trade plate) onto the boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 00:39   #9

This sort of thing makes me realise that perhaps it's time to remove one level of government from the country.

Tags
Australia, registration