Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 01:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
BVI to Bermuda and Bermuda to NJ/NY/CT

I'm looking to make the trip of a lifetime to NJ from BVI via Bermuda. I'm looking for input from all you guys to help me along the voyage

Any input, thoughts, recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated and I will include you in the credits!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 11:19   #2

Re: BVI to Bermuda and Bermuda to NJ/NY/CT

No one?
Old 26-01-2017, 11:51   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

I've done Bermuda to Annapolis. Bermuda to NJ should be a nice trip as long as you don't hit northerly winds in the GS. I'd head for the Maryland Delaware line and turn NW as you hit the GS. Probably a 5 day trip. Enjoy!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 11:53   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Ummmm, it's pretty easy. Sail north. Stop. Go. Sail north again.

When do you intend on going?

Will it be your first passage? If you provide more information people here will find it easier to help.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 11:57   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A lot depends on when you want to come. 4/5 days should do. Crossing the stream can be challenging. There are many well described voyages on this site, some pro and some con. Powerful highs and lows coming off the East Coast can produce some confused wind by the time they get here and mix. Loads of info online. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2017, 21:23   #6

Thank you guys for all the info!!

I'll clarify a little, so hopefully I could get more pointers and get pointed in the right direction.

I'll be sailing a 2011 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. My timeline is to start the trip anywhere between May 1st and July 1st, 2017. I'd love to do it as early as possible, to avoid getting anywhere close to 'cane season. I'll be skippering with an additional crew of 1 or 2... possibly 3. Will have a dinghy attached either to the stern on davits or I'll put it up (upside down) on the bow.

I've been told to go island hopping from BVI to Puerto Rico to Bahamas to Florida and then take the ICW. But, that'll almost double the miles and time.

I would much rather do BVI to Bermuda and Bermuda to NY/NJ. I've heard of the Salty Dawg Association doing it in May: The Salty Dawg Sailing Association

My concerns are:
(1) I don't have radar on my vessel
(2) Extra sails and extra fuel (how much do I need?)
(3) Provisions (food/water); but I figure a 2 week supply is enough
(4) Need to purchase an EPIRB (best ones around $800, I believe)
(5) Need to get a generator on board, just in case engine dies
(6) Weather is the BIGGEST concern
(7) See #1 - I'd love to get radar installed. Vessel is in St. Croix right now. What installer do you recommend? I'm big on tech and I can do a lot with computers, but marine networks are still a little beyond my skill level.

Thanks for all the input!!!

[edit]
I've sailed BVI, St. Croix, St. Marteen, St. Lucia, and Phuket, Thailand. I've done overnight passages. But, this will be the first passage from Caribbean to NY/NJ.
[/edit]
Old 10-02-2017, 07:00   #7

Consider joining the ARC USA
I've joined a boat for the exact same trip
Leaves BVI May 6th
Did the DelMarVa rally last year
and met great people and
found the weather briefings worthwhile.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We did this trip a couple of years ago and have done NYC/Bermuda several times. It is generally a fairly easy trip. When we went from the Caribbean to Bermuda the biggest surprise was that the trades did not extend nearly as far north as the pilot chart suggested. We ended up with light and variables for a few days. We tend to be patient and hate to motor so we just worked our way north slower than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Thank you guys for all the info!!

I'll clarify a little, so hopefully I could get more pointers and get pointed in the right direction.

I'll be sailing a 2011 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. My timeline is to start the trip anywhere between May 1st and July 1st, 2017. I'd love to do it as early as possible, to avoid getting anywhere close to 'cane season. I'll be skippering with an additional crew of 1 or 2... possibly 3. Will have a dinghy attached either to the stern on davits or I'll put it up (upside down) on the bow.

A departure in mid-May would be appealing to me. We left in April and had a few days with 30 knots when anchored in St. George's, the dinghy club wasn't even open at that time of year. Boats going to Europe tend to go a bit earlier since they have a longer way to to.

I've been told to go island hopping from BVI to Puerto Rico to Bahamas to Florida and then take the ICW. But, that'll almost double the miles and time.

This is just a totally different trip and experience. Each makes sense in its own way.

I would much rather do BVI to Bermuda and Bermuda to NY/NJ. I've heard of the Salty Dawg Association doing it in May: The Salty Dawg Sailing Association

My concerns are:
(1) I don't have radar on my vessel

Not really needed for this route/season since the chances of fog are poor. Little traffic going to Bermuda, more going to NYC.

(2) Extra sails and extra fuel (how much do I need?)

You did not say what sails you have already. Would be nice to have three reefs in main and some redundancy for headsails. Some type of asymmetric or similar would be nice but not an essential. The amount of fuel you need is directly related to your tolerance to sailing at 3 knots when the wind goes light.

(3) Provisions (food/water); but I figure a 2 week supply is enough

Provisioning in Bermuda is very expensive. I think I would want to load up further south and have more like four weeks food. If you can leave from St. Martin it would be better as shopping there is terrific and prices are good.

(4) Need to purchase an EPIRB (best ones around $800, I believe)

Any EPIRB would be good, no need for all of the bells and whistles. Do you have a life raft? That seems to be an essential to me.

(5) Need to get a generator on board, just in case engine dies

Not sure what a generator does other than keep the beer cold if the engine quits. make sure the engine is in good shape and go for it. It is a sailboat after all so you can just sail if engine quits.

(6) Weather is the BIGGEST concern

You shouldn't get more than 35 to 40 knots and are unlikely to get that. If you are comfortable with that, and note I am not saying you need to go to windward in those conditions, you probably shouldn't go.

(7) See #1 - I'd love to get radar installed. Vessel is in St. Croix right now. What installer do you recommend? I'm big on tech and I can do a lot with computers, but marine networks are still a little beyond my skill level.

If you are set on getting radar/EPIRBs etc, again St Marten makes sense. The Dutch side is duty-free so prices are good.

Thanks for all the input!!!

[edit]
I've sailed BVI, St. Croix, St. Marteen, St. Lucia, and Phuket, Thailand. I've done overnight passages. But, this will be the first passage from Caribbean to NY/NJ.
[/edit]
Old 18-02-2017, 08:29   #9

Thanks for the input, guys!! Will look into buying the equipment in SXM.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-02-2017, 09:33   #10

Success of this trip is semi dependent on timing. I did same trip from Nanny Cay to Ct in May 2012. We stopped in Bermuda because of a Gale. We had great wind from BVI to Bermuda on a reach doing it in 5 days even (820 miles). Salty Dod rally is good choice assuming they don't leave too early.

If you do this route you should be able to fly a smaller headsail (heavy weather jib and/or Storm jib. without removing a R/F jib.

You should have some means of getting offshore weather forcasts
1) SSB receiver,
2) Email capability (Inreach Sat device less than $300) (can get weather on demand from Ocens on this device for your locastion or projected position out 36 hours.

I would want at least fuel for 3 days. After the gale we had very light winds. Bermuda to Long Island sound is 4 to 5 days. For us it's closer to come in on East end of LIS as we are in mid sound.
Radar- don't really need but I'm a believer in AIS as gives speed & direction of vessals and uses very little Electricity.

Epirb- don't leave home without it. ACR from Defenders with GPS built in less than $400.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 10:24   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The weather will depend on the year, but later in May will be better. We ran into a front coming into Bermuda, and another coming into Newport on Memorial Day. Just reef down, fronts don't last forever. Fifty gallons of fuel should be fine.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The weather will depend on the year, but later in May will be better. We ran into a front coming into Bermuda, and another coming into Newport on Memorial Day. Just reef down, fronts don't last forever. Fifty gallons of fuel should be fine.
Thanks for the heads up! Looking to fly down to St. Croix at end of May and leave June 1st, weather permitting.
Old 27-06-2018, 08:04   #13

I know it's been a while, but just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to all those that replied and helped me out. I ended up not going through Bermuda, but rather through Florida. Either way, it was a trip of a lifetime and I loved it! Hope to do more offshore sailing in the future aboard my Jeanneau SO409.

Thank you again, everyone!!

Old 06-08-2018, 09:08   #14

Curious ... did you have to motor a lot to take that route thru the Bahamas?
I’ve done that going the opposite direction .. pretty tough sail (thorny path)...
How long ?
Jdaltonlayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 20:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaltonlayland View Post
Curious ... did you have to motor a lot to take that route thru the Bahamas?
I’ve done that going the opposite direction .. pretty tough sail (thorny path)...
How long ?
I was actually surprised that there was so little wind. I expected to reef and have to be on constant watch. But, yes - I did motor a lot because there was little wind. All in all, I can't complain. It was the trip of a lifetime for me. First solo, long distance sail like that.

It took me 4 days from St. Croix to Great Inagua, Bahamas, with a friend of mine. Dropped him off in Great Inagua and then 4 days solo to North Palm Beach, Florida. Left the boat in NPB for a couple of months. Then, at the end of June, took another 7 days from NPB to Norfolk, Virginia. Again, surprisingly very little wind. And then a week later, 2 more days from Nortolk, VA, to Jersey City, New Jersey.

So, all in all - 8+7+2=17 days. Loved it!!! Would definitely do it again

Tags
Bermuda, nyc