Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 12:02   #1

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Anchor Tips make a difference

Anchor Tips make a difference

There has been plenty of discussion about anchors, but not much about the actual pointy end that penetrates the seabed.

This anchor discussion will only pertain to the new gen shovel type anchors which all started around 2004.

A wood chisel can be used in 2 ways. Pointy edge down to bite right into the wood or pointy edge up to just shave a thin slice off at a time.

Interestingly anchor manufacturers have selected 1 of these 2 chisel tips types to use in there anchor designs.

Depending on which anchor chisel tip design that is used really influences how good the anchor sets and how short of a scope that can be used to set the anchor.

You really would want the anchor chisel tip edge DOWN, so it’s touching the seabed and is ready to bite in.

Benefits of Anchor Chisel tip edge DOWN:

1) Chisel tip edge DOWN bites in on contact with seabed. Any pull will make it bite in deeper.

2) Easily bites into hard sand, gravel and grass.

3) Allows the anchor to set in scope as short as 2:1.

An Anchor Chisel tip edge UP is not touching the seabed and will slide over hard sand, gravel and grass.

Anchor brand,___Chisel tip,
Rocna__________UP
Manson Supreme_UP
Mantus_________Down
Fortress________Down
Spade__________Down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chisel point down 1.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	148064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chisel point UP 1.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	148065  

Name:	Mantus tip.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	148066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocna tip1.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	148067  

Name:	Manson S 2.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	148068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocna Dimensions_1.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	148069  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:17   #2

Re: Anchor Tips make a difference

Can you support this with real world evidence?
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 13:27   #3

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
You really would want the anchor chisel tip edge DOWN, so it’s touching the seabed and is ready to bite in.

Benefits of Anchor Chisel tip edge DOWN:

1) Chisel tip edge DOWN bites in on contact with seabed. Any pull will make it bite in deeper.

2) Easily bites into hard sand, gravel and grass.

3) Allows the anchor to set in scope as short as 2:1.

An Anchor Chisel tip edge UP is not touching the seabed and will slide over hard sand, gravel and grass.
Makes sense to me.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 14:04   #4

Boat: Boatless

While good theory it is not validated by my 1,000+ nights at anchor using a rochna.

It might make a difference in the Keys and Bahamas where the bottom is often a terrazzo floor with 6 inches of sand on top.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 16:38   #5

Community Sponsor

I know my Rocna would never ever set at 2:1 scope, but a Mantus anchor will.

Old 19-05-2017, 16:52   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Lets all acknowledge and thank Steve from SV Panope for all his great work here and the videos of anchors setting since his footage is being used to make a point.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 18:46   #7

Have you ever watched your 3rd Gen anchor set. All the times I have watched (in Bahamas where you actually see the bottom) the initial set occurs while anchor is on the side, which completely defeats your up down chisel argument.
It's only after initial penetration does the anchor begin swinging into normal position,
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 18:56   #8

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
Have you ever watched your 3rd Gen anchor set. All the times I have watched (in Bahamas where you actually see the bottom) the initial set occurs while anchor is on the side, which completely defeats your up down chisel argument.
It's only after initial penetration does the anchor begin swinging into normal position,
That is true, but if you ever put a Manson Supreme on it side you will see the tip actually gets farther away from the seabed.

The Chisel tip Down really comes into play on 2:1 upto 4:1 short anchor scope in hard sand an hard grass beds. Rocna an Manson Supreme tend to struggle in those bottoms on short scope.
Old 19-05-2017, 19:03   #9

This begs the next question, why are you setting an anchor with 2:1 scope?
In 8 years of full time cruising, 90 % at anchor we have never tried that, why temp fate with our home.
Old 19-05-2017, 19:13   #10

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
This begs the next question, why are you setting an anchor with 2:1 scope?
In 8 years of full time cruising, 90 % at anchor we have never tried that, why temp fate with our home.
I am with you.

I would NEVER anchor with 2:1 scope.

We always try for 7:1.

This 2:1 scope would only be for emergencies, when you are in a marina an your engine cuts out or maybe your the last one coming in to a very tight anchorage.
Old 19-05-2017, 19:24   #11

If your coming into a tight anchorage means its full, good seamanship perscribes going elsewhere.
Drop a hook in a marina while going forward, if you had the time, would cause you to rapidly swing about in a 180 degrees with no control, better to try to maintain direction and fend off with fenders until you get a line on a piling.
Old 19-05-2017, 19:29   #12

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I'm not convinced that your chisel wouldn't burry if you pulled it from above the point of resistance instead of pushing in line with it regardless which way up it was. I don't think you can compare unless you apply the same geometry.
Old 19-05-2017, 19:40   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

With our Manson Supreme (whose tip doesn't touch the sea bed according to above), we routinely initiate setting at around 2:1. With the boat moving slowly backwards, I stop veering chain until it goes taught... brings the boat up fairly abruptly. Then continue to veer, stopping every 25 feet or so for another "jerk" on the chain, until we reach the desired scope. In most bottoms, and with no severe forecast, we routinely use between 4 and 5:1. Then set firmly with increasing revs, pulling with considerable power for a minute or so.

Does this work? Lets see, we've had the Manson for around 12 years. During that time, we've been at anchor for around 350 days each year (guessing a bit here, based on extremely rare marina stays or mooring usage) so that works out to over 4000 days at anchor. During that time we've dragged once in a full gale in Port Davey, Tasmania and once in the Clarence river (in flood, with a huge mass of hyacinth on the bow).

You decide...

Jim
Old 19-05-2017, 20:22   #14

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

My worthless opinion is that it probably makes a difference, but that difference is so small as to be unobservable (and pointless) in the real world.

Or, more simply, no one is ever going to notice the 1 extra inch/cm it takes the "less efficient" tip to dig in and set.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 21:47   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With our Manson Supreme (whose tip doesn't touch the sea bed according to above), we routinely initiate setting at around 2:1. With the boat moving slowly backwards, I stop veering chain until it goes taught... brings the boat up fairly abruptly. Then continue to veer, stopping every 25 feet or so for another "jerk" on the chain, until we reach the desired scope. In most bottoms, and with no severe forecast, we routinely use between 4 and 5:1. Then set firmly with increasing revs, pulling with considerable power for a minute or so.

Does this work? Lets see, we've had the Manson for around 12 years. During that time, we've been at anchor for around 350 days each year (guessing a bit here, based on extremely rare marina stays or mooring usage) so that works out to over 4000 days at anchor. During that time we've dragged once in a full gale in Port Davey, Tasmania and once in the Clarence river (in flood, with a huge mass of hyacinth on the bow).

You decide...

Jim
Its amazing the lengths people will go to validate their own particular choice of anchor and rubbish others.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, enc