Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 14:03   #1

Boat: Leopard 39
Replacing anchor winch

My Quick anchor winch on my Leopard 39 is giving me trouble. The easiest thing to do is relace it with a new Quick anchor winch. Any advice on this and alternative winches?
velella15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 14:34   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Replacing anchor winch

There seem to be few complaints with Muir (my Muir is sure better than 2 previous Lewmars).
Lofrans seem to be pretty pricey but from my research there is a reason they can charge the way they do.
The only reason I bought my present horizontal Muir (900watts) 3 years ago was that the cost of a Lofrans was, at the time, beyond my reach. That said, my Muir has been faultless and is used probably 2 or 3 times per week, every week. And sometimes in 50+ feet of water.
Lofrans are distributed in OZ by McIntyre Marine in Qld. Don McIntyre was previously the owner but sold out some time ago.
McIntyre have some pretty classy franchises and Lofrans is world renowned, just like Muir. Although Muirs primary market seems to be large commercial applications.
From an engineering point of view there would be few companies more capable than Muir.
Muirs windlasses are white powder coated. Lofrans are anodised silver.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 14:50   #3

If I was replacing mine, I'd look at Maxwell.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 15:11   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If I was replacing mine, I'd look at Maxwell.
Yep. Maxwell have an excellent reputation worldwide.
Old 02-01-2017, 15:21   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've always been a fan of Maxwell verticals. They've a good reputation going back to when I started sailing seriously, 30yrs ago. And get the nod from a lot of high end yacht builders.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 14:29   #6

Boat: Leopard 39

Thanks to all respondents. I have now stripped the Quick anchor winch on my Leopard 39 and very impressed with the construction - heavy duty and 4 brushes. Brushes are new and have skimmed the commutator on a lathe. Now works well. Thanks again.
velella15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 14:33   #7

Thanks for the latest. Darn good ending.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:24   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000 33ft (10m)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
There seem to be few complaints with Muir (my Muir is sure better than 2 previous Lewmars).
Lofrans seem to be pretty pricey but from my research there is a reason they can charge the way they do.
The only reason I bought my present horizontal Muir (900watts) 3 years ago was that the cost of a Lofrans was, at the time, beyond my reach. That said, my Muir has been faultless and is used probably 2 or 3 times per week, every week. And sometimes in 50+ feet of water.
Lofrans are distributed in OZ by McIntyre Marine in Qld. Don McIntyre was previously the owner but sold out some time ago.
McIntyre have some pretty classy franchises and Lofrans is world renowned, just like Muir. Although Muirs primary market seems to be large commercial applications.
From an engineering point of view there would be few companies more capable than Muir.
Muirs windlasses are white powder coated. Lofrans are anodised silver.
Stuck with dead Muir windlass motor St Thomas.
Is repairing motor a good option? Or better to rebuild?

Like to get working quick since I'm stuck.
goelze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, winch