Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 19:00   #1

C&C27 rigging question - strange pulley location

Hey guys, i recently purchased a 1974 C&C 27 and i removed the main sail for servicing. When i went to put it back on i noticed that i couldn't raise it as high or tight as i wanted (keep in mind i am new to sailing). After looking at a few other boats in the marina it seemed like all of their pulleys were fixed to the top of the mast on the aft side enabling to sheet to be pulled all the way to the top. When i look at mine i see the pulley on the front of the mast (closer to the bow). When winching in the line it gets very tight but there is still some slack at the bottom of the sail (where the tack is.. or the very bottom of the luff i suppose). Is this normal or should the pulley be moved somehow or lines run different? Thanks for any help

jc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 19:10   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: C&C27 rigging question - strange pulley location

The pulley (actually called a block) on the side of the mast is NOT for your main sail. There may be a problem with your main block or halyard so someone may have installed the block there as a temp fix.
It sort of looks like there may be a shackle for your main halyard showing at the top aft side of the mast. Hard to tell from the picture for sure.
You may have to go up the mast and sort it out. Not as scary as it sounds.
Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 19:15   #3

well that clears things up atleast! So in order to install a new block (there were a few included with the boat) can i just clip it onto the shackle (assuming there is one) on the aft side of the mast? thanks again
Old 11-12-2016, 20:33   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
well that clears things up atleast! So in order to install a new block (there were a few included with the boat) can i just clip it onto the shackle (assuming there is one) on the aft side of the mast? thanks again
Your presumption is incorrect. Here is a diagram of a masthead to assist you in understanding an average layout. Use the Internet or your local library to familiarize yourself with the basics of sailboat rigging. Continue to ask for assistance once you have done some homework. We all had to start with the basics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	137891  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 21:31   #5

ah okay.. i do remember seeing an internal line going into the mast which was part wire. Never paid too much attention as to where it was tied off but i know it wasn't connected to anything. Maybe a previous owner tied the main sail to the jib or spinnaker line which ran through that block in the photo and i followed the same steps when i put the sail back on?
Old 12-12-2016, 03:58   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

Your main halyard may well be attached to what looks like a shackle on the aft side of the mast. You may just have to go up and pull it down. If you have an unidentified halyard exiting the mast down near deck level that is likely it.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:19   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Your presumption is incorrect. Here is a diagram of a masthead to assist you in understanding an average layout. Use the Internet or your local library to familiarize yourself with the basics of sailboat rigging. Continue to ask for assistance once you have done some homework. We all had to start with the basics.
Nice diagram.

Not sure why you are telling him to do more research before asking questions on CF though.

There are lots of experienced sailors here that enjoy helping new sailors no matter how basic the question might be.

Also, some folks would rather discuss their problem online than do boring internet searches because they are so excited about sailing.....
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The C&C 27 Association has a wealth of information
Greetings From The C&C27 Association

Including
C&C 27 Running Rigging Specs ➥ http://www.cc27association.com/pdf/m...ngStanding.pdf

And much more ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:57   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

I agree with Gary. Looks like the main halyard got skyed at some point. (jc, a "skyed" halyard is one that got let go and the working end, the shackle ended up at the top of the mast, or at least out of reach).

The only way to retrieve it is to go up the mast and pull it down, and you only want to do that if you have confidence in the other halyards to pull you up there safely. Usually you do with with two...one taking your weight and the second as a safety line, particularly with a boat that is new to you where you're not sure of the history and condition of the lines.

I would say that now is an opportunity to take the mast down and inspect it end to end...check the wiring, the standing rigging, the fixtures at the top of the mast, but until you have more familiarity with sailboats you're not really going to know what to look for.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:27   #10

C&C's of that vintage have a pin running through the aft end of the mast head casting/weldment. The pin is for the fixed end of the topping lift and located well aft to avoid fowling the main halyard. I've seen many that have been retro-fitted to accommodate an external block for main halyard backup. The external block in the OP's post is on the forward side of the mast, likely for a spinnaker halyard.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:52   #11

Boat: C&C

Yes, it's best to take the mast down and inspect those aluminum sheaves inside the mast head fitting. The originals were aluminum with bronze inserts [bearings] that do wear out over time. The sheaves[pulleys] actually wear through over time from the SS halyard running through them. I've replaced mine once so far in the 39 years that I've owned my MK3. Not a big job, yes, they can be inspected by going up the mast , but you won't be able to determine the integrity of the bushings with the halyards loaded and you will be loaded on one of them going up there! Do you really want to get hoisted aloft on one of the very things that your wondering the integrity of?!?! Drop the rig and inspect it or have a rigger do it for you. Best to make sure if your new toy is seaworthy before having a big problem. Also, as Gord mentioned above and included the link, go to the 27 Association website for loads of advice from actual owner's of 27's. Many useful links in there also. Get your hull/serial number off the stern and you will know which Mk you have also. Good luck and enjoy a boat that can truly take a pounding and yet has a reasonable turn of speed for her size and age!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Nice diagram.

Not sure why you are telling him to do more research before asking questions on CF though.

There are lots of experienced sailors here that enjoy helping new sailors no matter how basic the question might be.

Also, some folks would rather discuss their problem online than do boring internet searches because they are so excited about sailing.....
There are lots of "inexperienced" sailors here who lead people who are less experienced than themselves astray with their advice.
Trust but verify......
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
Your main halyard may well be attached to what looks like a shackle on the aft side of the mast. You may just have to go up and pull it down. If you have an unidentified halyard exiting the mast down near deck level that is likely it.
I agree. Someone has let go of the halyard (sail end) and its now up the mast. You can just see the shackle poking out up there. All you need to do is go up there and pull it down. Easier said than done!

Good for you for noticing that a problem exists. You have a lot to learn, but you are off to a good start.

I've owned 2 C&C27s, a mk2 and a mk4, as well as a C&C25, so I'm always happy to see questions about those boats here.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Yes, it's best to take the mast down and inspect those aluminum sheaves inside the mast head fitting. The originals were aluminum with bronze inserts [bearings] that do wear out over time. The sheaves[pulleys] actually wear through over time from the SS halyard running through them.
I don't recall the 27 having a cable halyard...thought it was all rope. If it is cable, with a rope to cable splice, it would be a good time to replace it with all rope. The new low stretch lines are plenty strong. I think cable/line halyards have gone out of style around here. If it was cable, the sheave can be turned to accommodate line, which is slightly wider, at a modest cost at most riggers.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
There are lots of "inexperienced" sailors here who lead people who are less experienced than themselves astray with their advice.
Trust but verify......
There are also some very experienced/knowledgeable sailors here.

Tags
rigging