Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 15:29   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
2020 porta bote for extended cruising dink? Board in and out from the water..

So I’m pretty much sold on getting a porta bote. I’ve rowed and motored a friends for a day and it handles nice{ I was only in a calm still river though} I never thought to jump out and get back in... But I’ve seen others that have had them for 10plus years no issues other then the design pros and cons. Using my inflatable I’m always weary of submerged logs etc when getting up into small creeks etc. porta boat would be nice piece of mind plus a lot faster and better on fuel. Any how all the reviews and testimonials I’ve seen I’ve never seen mentioned how it is for getting in and out of from the water when you can’t touch the bottom? I seen their site the show a scuba diver going down the ladder they make for the bow of it. But it leaves a lot to be desired. I’m a big boy and I plan on using taking it swimming spear fishing and general water sports. So I’d be in deep water getting in and out of it a lot. The wife too. I’m fit enough to get up over the sides of a fishing boat so it’s not my strength in question or the wife’s. Can the boat handle a 250lb man getting in and out over the side without buckleing or capsizing? I plan on getting the ladder aswell but when I finally loose that will the porta bote be as good as I hope?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:54   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: 2020 porta bote for extended cruising dink? Board in and out from the water..

Check out this video, it refers to an older model but will have a lot of information relative to your questions.

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 14:38   #3

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Re: 2020 porta bote for extended cruising dink? Board in and out from the water..

Excellent review and great channel. They seem to get in and out pretty well. I was hoping to get a second on that..
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, extended cruising, water