Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 22:17   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20
Careening Bottom Cleaning

Hello,

It is going to cost me about $60 every few months to bottom clean my Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20. I know it is not a big hit but I enjoy saving where I can. Will it damage the rigging to raise up bags filled with water with the halyard and slowly pull them out until I can expose a portion of the underside of the boat? The draft is 3’ 3” and I have a 7’ long brush. I just need to lean it over enough to get the part just above the keel.

Thank you in advance!
Montslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 22:50   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Careening Bottom Cleaning

Is there somewhere locally you could dry the boat out? A gravel beach or similar? That's the easiest way to get to the keel on a boat of that size. Similarly, your trick should be fine if you don't overdo it. An alternative is to moor somewhere and take a line extending the main halyard on to the dock and walking away from the boat.

But the answer to your question is that the mast and rigging are easily strong enough to take the forces required to heel your boat right over as far as you like, as long as you don't wrap it around something on the way.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:02   #3

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I bought a cheap scuba setup from a buddy, pony tank, regulators, gauge, backpack, $125. Took about 20 minutes with a long handled brush. I was certified 25 years ago but I'm only using this to go 5' underwater.

Initially i tried just free diving but it was exhausting with just a mask so i hauled out the gear. Actually kinda fun.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:17   #4

Boat: Morgan 24/25 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I bought a cheap scuba setup from a buddy, pony tank, regulators, gauge, backpack, $125. Took about 20 minutes with a long handled brush. I was certified 25 years ago but I'm only using this to go 5' underwater.

Initially i tried just free diving but it was exhausting with just a mask so i hauled out the gear. Actually kinda fun.
that setup sounds ideal although a hookah rig is attractive for longer dive times. I free dive my Morgan 24 with a brush and plastic taping knife works fine though at 67 it gets a bit strenuous at times. Good excuse to get in the water!
Capt. Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning