Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 11:00   #1

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Sailboat stands!

These things are a bit pricey! Then we consider that many, perhaps most, use five stands to properly support a boat.

With plans to sell in two years, I don't want to spend $800 for four stands. I plan to get a much larger boat and cruise. It would be more practical to use a boat yards stands than lug around a batch of stands.

The boat is sitting on an EZ-Loader trailer using 64 rubber wheels for support. The big wheels really get in the way of much of the needed bottom work. I can use hydraulic jacks and jack stands to elevate it a little more. However, if something went wrong, death is a likely result. The boat weighs over 5500 pounds right now due to extensive keel work.

I could probably spend about $400 for two stands and get by with doing the front and then the back. I am 6'4"-6'5" with a plate in my neck. I need some operating room.

Nothing on craigslist or used ones on ebay. Colorado is a weak boating state. Especially this area.

Good ideas?
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:09   #2

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Sailboat stands!

I dont have any ideas that are cheaper
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:22   #3

Found a better price and I think there stands are good. But this shipping warning scares me: "Shipping Scaffolding is Complicated, Dependant on Many Criteria - Place Your Order, and We'll Call to Talk to You About Shipping," I'm seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:22   #4

youtube is your friend.

I've seen several where people have removed boats from trailers (and back) with different types of stands that they've built. None have impressed me as a "best" way, but watching several give plenty of ideas for removing the boat from the trailer, as well as jacking it up afterwards to get more "head room".
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
youtube is your friend.

I've seen several where people have removed boats from trailers (and back) with different types of stands that they've built. None have impressed me as a "best" way, but watching several give plenty of ideas for removing the boat from the trailer, as well as jacking it up afterwards to get more "head room".
Home made stuff would be alright if I had better soil. I have sandy soil. I had a truck up on four jack stands. A stand collapsed after a week. Good thing no dog, or me, was resting underneath. First time I have seen a jack stand collapse.

Risk can be acceptable at times. 5500 pounds with sand and a single hander is different.

Sure wish I could rent...I'd be happy to drive a couple hundred miles.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:45   #6

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

You can build a cradle but doing it right may cost the same. Looking at drawings of the boat you may be able to get away with power boat stands depending on how high you want to block it. When I dropped the keel on my mariner I used two power boat stands and some wooden sort of cradle things I built.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:48   #7

I'm not sure if "collapsed" means "sunk into the soil" or an actual collapse, which means the stand wasn't rated high enough or was damaged/old, but really unrelated to the soil.

If you mean "sunk", simply placing 3/4" plywood under your stands will distribute the weight and keep it from sinking.

It's really not that hard to build your own, safe stands and remove/load the boat by ones self.

Level ground is much more important.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 13:19   #8

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

I found the same as you in So. Cal., nothing on the used market. So I bought 11 stands from Scaffoldmart in North Carolina.

https://www.scaffoldmart.com/marinem...il-boat-stands

I ordered 2 of their SBS0, 8 of the SBS1 and 1 of the SBS3. With 120 feet of chain. The shipping for all of these was $290. I was quoted over $800 to ship the same size and quantity from another supplier.

They also gave a 10% discount for this order. Just being nice I guess. I figure I can sell them when I am done and get back a lot of my investment as I don't anticipate ever needing them again.

My boat weighs 10 times what yours does, four stands was not an option for me.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 13:39   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I,and several friends,got stands from scaffold mart. Very happy with product.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 14:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post
I found the same as you in So. Cal., nothing on the used market. So I bought 11 stands from Scaffoldmart in North Carolina.

https://www.scaffoldmart.com/marinem...il-boat-stands

I ordered 2 of their SBS0, 8 of the SBS1 and 1 of the SBS3. With 120 feet of chain. The shipping for all of these was $290. I was quoted over $800 to ship the same size and quantity from another supplier.

They also gave a 10% discount for this order. Just being nice I guess. I figure I can sell them when I am done and get back a lot of my investment as I don't anticipate ever needing them again.

My boat weighs 10 times what yours does, four stands was not an option for me.
Nice...did you place the order and wait for their call? My cell phone service is so bad that this part really bothers me.

Plus..I am thinking I could use three corners of the boat trailers 64 5" rubber wheels. I really only need one ~65" jack stand.

Since I assuredly live the dream here, I am not willing to jerry rig anything. Too much wind, too much sand.
Old 27-06-2017, 14:41   #11

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Nice...did you place the order and wait for their call? My cell phone service is so bad that this part really bothers me.

Plus..I am thinking I could use three corners of the boat trailers 64 5" rubber wheels. I really only need one ~65" jack stand.

Since I assuredly live the dream here, I am not willing to jerry rig anything. Too much wind, too much sand.
I inquired first via email and then spoke with a gentleman named Gray. The email got me a complete quote with shipping.

If you are trying to set up these or any stands on sand you are asking for trouble. Don't do it.
I have mine on very solidly compacted road base. Gravel, sand and dirt. I takes a 3 lb sledge hammer to drive a 12" spike into this ground and a 3 foot crowbar to remove it and I was still a little worried about it. I will be removing each stand and placing a plywood pad under each foot and trenching around whole thing to keep any water from ever reaching the stands softening the ground under them.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 15:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post
I inquired first via email and then spoke with a gentleman named Gray. The email got me a complete quote with shipping.

If you are trying to set up these or any stands on sand you are asking for trouble. Don't do it.
I have mine on very solidly compacted road base. Gravel, sand and dirt. I takes a 3 lb sledge hammer to drive a 12" spike into this ground and a 3 foot crowbar to remove it and I was still a little worried about it. I will be removing each stand and placing a plywood pad under each foot and trenching around whole thing to keep any water from ever reaching the stands softening the ground under them.
Just remembered that I have road pads for my backhoe. It is hard to remember everything I have lying around here at times. Pretty sure there are no boat stands though.
Old 27-06-2017, 15:33   #13

I've seen it done many times with 55 gallon oil drums and dunnage. I've been kicking myself for years.... went to a bankrupt boat yard auction, they were selling boat stands in lots of 10 or 12 for nothing. Maybe $50 for the lot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 16:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've seen it done many times with 55 gallon oil drums and dunnage. I've been kicking myself for years.... went to a bankrupt boat yard auction, they were selling boat stands in lots of 10 or 12 for nothing. Maybe $50 for the lot.
The problem with oil drums is that one would lose a great deal of accessibility. That is the problem with my 64 5" rubber wheels.

I did turn up four solid steel scaffolding threaded rods. They are 1.335" in diameter. Too large I believe.

Buying used stuff at auction. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.
Old 28-06-2017, 05:38   #15

Turns out that my four 2' threaded rods are quite possibly too small rather than too large. I see 1 7/16" as the claimed size of the threaded rods on mainstream boat stands, mine are closer to 1 1/4". There are apparently only two large US manufacturers. One in Mass., the other in NC.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat