Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 04:42   #1

advice replace standing rigging

I need to replace my standing rigging.

Would really appreciate any advice on where to buy the rigging 1 X 19 wire.

Or alternatively how much is the average cost to replace the standing rigging for a 28 ft sailboat ?

Thanks,

arch
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 04:54   #2

Boat: Peterson 34
Re: advice replace standing rigging

Call a rigger. That's what they specialize in.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 04:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

This is an international forum. If you tell us where you are, you are more likely to get an appropriate answer.

You may like to update your user profile to show your general location and boat type.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 04:59   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

West Marine rigging will duplicate the wires you have if you mail them in--I did a 27' boat about 15 years ago for $700. It's got to be more now, but if you do all your own labor of taking them off and putting them on, the price of wire and fittings themselves won't be as bad.
Old 15-06-2017, 05:40   #5

Boat: Cobbling one together

What StuM said. Though you can get some idea via riggingonly.com/riggingandhardware.com
Also, read this post, & then come back with questions which are a bit more focused. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2413378
Old 15-06-2017, 07:54   #6

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

In the USA Riggingonly.com in Fairhaven MA has great prices...
Old 15-06-2017, 08:00   #7

Boat: Bristol 29

If you're in SE Mass or Rhode Island, let me know. I did my Bristol 27 a few years ago and can give you local sources for most of what you will need.
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:08   #8

Have you considered dyneema? I have just made myself a 36ft backstay that cost £50 including all fittings, and is rated 50% stronger than my old stainless one
Bertiesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 14:35   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertiesp View Post
Have you considered dyneema? I have just made myself a 36ft backstay that cost £50 including all fittings, and is rated 50% stronger than my old stainless one
Your post got me to looking it up, thanx
Synthetic Standing Rigging: The Modern and Traditional - Sailfeed
Old 15-06-2017, 14:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
For mine I didn't even bother with dux. They use heat set sk75 dyneema, I used un set sk78 which, I do believe, has the same creep characteristics but at a much lower cost. Make sure you practice splicing first
Bertiesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 15:06   #11

Boat: Catalina 350

It depends on where you are sailing. If in enclosed harbours then DIY with local safety services if required. Rigging is one thing, tuning another. If you DIY re-rig do you know how to tune it?

If cruising off shore I'd want an old, crusty, experienced rigger replacing everything for me. I wouldn't want to be 1,000 miles from nowhere and have the DIY rig fail and say "if only I had ...."
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 17:23   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

More than half the money can be in the labor, decide what you want to do yourself. AND replace all the fittings, turnbuckles, etc. at the same time, because stainless isn't forever and using dye to check each piece will add hours to your job without guaranteeing they are really still good. Again, price.

There's an eternal ongoing debate about whether you can trust the actual wire from whatever the source is. If you can find a supplier that actually verifies the quality of the wire they buy, the extra price may be worth it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 19:15   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
More than half the money can be in the labor, decide what you want to do yourself.
Both very, very true. And there are a LOT of other perks to going this route as well. See the above post which is linked to this thread by Mischief_Inc. on this. Lotta' good info in it. Read & heed.

AND replace all the fittings, turnbuckles, etc. at the same time, because stainless isn't forever and using dye to check each piece will add hours to your job without guaranteeing they are really still good. Again, price.
I can't say as I concur here. Since by this logic you'll be replacing every tang, sheave, bracket, turnbuckle, toggle, nut, bolt, & washer on the rig. Along with the stays, as well as the chainplates (& their fasteners).

So unless the rig is in hideous, unservicable condition, you're better off to inspect it & all the above named parts. Especially when you consider that it's downright foolish not to inspect any new parts that you're installing on the rig. Ergo, no time is necessarily saved via going this route, & expenses are greatly magnified. But by going the DIY, & inspection route, you have peace of mind about everything holding your spar up, due to having looked at, & done basic maintenance on all of it's parts. And having an intimate knowledge of how it's built.

Inspecting things with the MK 1 eyeball, dye penetrant, a thumbnail, a magnifying glass, & a pocket microscope (via www.BrionToss.com ) usually catches 98% of all rigging problems during a rebuild/re-rig. And perpetual vigilance, including fully inspecting the rig before & after each passage of length, or storm goes a long way to heading off any other problems missed, or that are unfolding.

Inspecting the rig on such a sked. fully includes going aloft, & well scrutinizing everything. Along with the knowledge that there's usually something up there which is in need of some TLC. And that where there's one defect, there are bound to be others.

Plus, one inspects (or should) the rig from the deck level at least once per watch, more so in heavy conditions. And also by using your binoculars to get a better look at things when the boat's stable enough to employ them. Since few rigging bits fail without warning signs, at least if you're routinely looking for them.

There's an eternal ongoing debate about whether you can trust the actual wire from whatever the source is. If you can find a supplier that actually verifies the quality of the wire they buy, the extra price may be worth it.
Usually, knock on wood, Rigging Only/Rigging and Hardware have test certificates for the wire they sell. And a chain of who's worked on it, & where, since it's birth.

The same is often true of elevator supply companies. Since the wire that they sell has lives on the line, literally (pun intended). Plus the retail cost of their gear is often lower than that of recreational marine chandleries/suppliers.

EDIT: Strands of yarn are also an excellent inspection tool, particulary softer yarns. As when run over rigging bits, the stuff snags on any & every protruding (failing) wire strand, or defect, such as cracks in things or end terminal fittings.

Also, as noted in the linked thread (in the above mentioned post): Photograph, measure the sizes of, & get the part numbers for every single fitting, & component of your rig. Or that's bolted to it. So that if/when you ever need to do maintenance on a specific component, or replace it, you already have all of it's particulars logged into the ship's rigging maintenance binder/log book. Along with the manuals for same system(s).
It's much, much easier to do this when the rig is on sawhorses at waist level, then when hanging from a bosun's chair.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 19:18   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hey Archie, where are you? I know of a good place in Costa Mesa here in SoCal. The trick is in the measuring it right! You could do your own with Norseman, Hi-Mod or Sta-loc fittings too, I think there are a couple threads here about that if you do a search.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 20:39   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hey Archie, where are you? I know of a good place in Costa Mesa here in SoCal. The trick is in the measuring it right! You could do your own with Norseman, Hi-Mod or Sta-loc fittings too, I think there are a couple threads here about that if you do a search.
Agree but scratch Norseman - they are no longer available.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging